Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

3 edits

[iO] New Jersey All Digital

Cablevision (NYSE: CVC) is beginning to notify subscribers in New Jersey that it will convert to an all-digital platform, which will require every TV in a home to be connected to a cable set-top by Oct. 1.

»www.fiercecable.com/story/cablev···12-07-13

Cablevision Digital Conversion Details:

Those currently paying for set top box(es) will continue to do so. But customers can request additional boxes or CableCARDs for every remaining television in the home and receive them free for one year.

Those who have no digital set top boxes in their homes now can receive a free box or CableCARD for every set for two years. In all instances, after the free promotion ends, customers will pay $6.95/mo for each device.

Newer televisions equipped with a QAM tuner can watch Cablevision's broadcast basic tier, consisting primarily of local over the air stations, without any extra equipment. Basic cable networks and premium channels will require a box or CableCARD.

Broadband customers can use Cablevision's app for iOS or a personal computer to watch the company's cable lineup within the home.

A Digital Television Adapter (DTA), or Digital-To-Analog Converter [set-top box] will be available from Cablevision within a year.

Equipment installation is free. Do-it-yourself customers can have the necessary equipment mailed to them for free or can pick equipment up at any Optimum Store location.

»stopthecap.com/2012/07/19/cablev···for-now/

As of 7/31/2012 The Weather Channel and EWTN feeds were removed from analog as part of my weekly QAM/Analog Tuner scans in the Morris County system.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
said by kickass69:

DTA boxes will be available from Cablevision within a year.

What's that?

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
Yeah, I had to look it up as well. I hate it when people use abbreviations assuming people just know.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_te···_adapter

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
reply to kickass69
They have been upgrading systems in NJ for months
First I have heard of a DTA being available.
Comcast and FIOS already have them.
They should have had them before they started upgrade.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Well it says it should be available in a year not that they already have one and yes I know they've slowly done the urban systems before moving out to the burbs.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to mbernste
Sorry about that. We're probably one of the few areas where few are familiar with those adapters/boxes since up to now there's been no talk of Cablevision ever offering them. I've updated my initial post to reflect what they're called.

Legally they should've been doing it all along when they first started transitioning to all digital in New York and Connecticut.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to dm145
I got the letter today stating September 18th, 2012 is when the Morris County system officially goes all digital.

bensonr2

join:2011-04-04
Parsippany, NJ
reply to kickass69
I thought I remembered reading that systems that went all digital also stopped using switched digital video due to the freed up bandwidth.

Is that true? I would love to be able to get the sdv channels without the tuning adapter which is piece of junk.

ilsno

@optonline.net
Its true. SDV is dropped but it takes upwards of 2 months after the date of the conversion.

sdvheretosta

@optonline.net
said by ilsno :

Its true. SDV is dropped but it takes upwards of 2 months after the date of the conversion.

From what I have read SDV is a technology that will be used MORE in the future. As much as we all hate it it looks like eventually cable companies will be using it very frequently.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to kickass69
Seems like the Bergen/Cresskill system switched to all digital on August 12th.

ilsno

@optonline.net
reply to sdvheretosta
I personally hate SDV because of the frequent "channel not available messages" that appeared. If I am paying 80.00 a month for a package of cable channels they better darn be there when I tune in. I was close to dumping Cablevision for Direct TV because of all the headaches with "error 125- channel temporarily unavailable" on many of the showtime and starz channels that used SDV... Cablevision just has not perfected the technology to warrant its use and I am glad they dropped it. If it returns and I still get those messages, Im done.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to kickass69
Raritan system, Warren head end went all-digital August 7.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
reply to ilsno
said by ilsno :

I personally hate SDV because of the frequent "channel not available messages" that appeared. If I am paying 80.00 a month for a package of cable channels they better darn be there when I tune in. I was close to dumping Cablevision for Direct TV because of all the headaches with "error 125- channel temporarily unavailable" on many of the showtime and starz channels that used SDV... Cablevision just has not perfected the technology to warrant its use and I am glad they dropped it. If it returns and I still get those messages, Im done.

If and when Cablevision starts using SDV again they will probably allocate much more Bandwidth to SDV than before and not as many channels will be SDV.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to kickass69
I'm surprised nobody has asked if they will ease up on the compression of channels to make them look better?

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Sure as hell would be nice if they did, but then again I bet any new channel additions would slow to a trickle if that happened claiming easing up on that would mean less space for new channels.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to kickass69
said by kickass69:

I got the letter today stating September 18th, 2012 is when the Morris County system officially goes all digital.

Is that all of Morris County? Co-worker from Denville says he hasn't gotten a letter.

Tradewind
Ultra 101
Premium
join:2005-11-08
Marlboro, NJ
Looks like Central Jersey will be among the last to go all digital. We always seem to be near the bottom on the 'to do list'.

Spiderman865

join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL
reply to kickass69
My dad is on the Oakland system and he got his letter last week. Their day to go 100% digital is 9/11. Couldn't have picked a worse day.
--
Yesh

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit
reply to Bob4
Click for full size
Here's the letter in question that I received on August 16th. Usually anyone who receives this letter in the system they're in is going all digital aka analog service being turned off by the date it says on the letter or within a week or two thereafter.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to Spiderman865
I don't see the big deal with transitioning to all digital on 9/11 one way or the other if your father got boxes ahead of time.

Spiderman865

join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL
He's all set. Just saying that 9/11 will always be a sad day.
--
Yesh

pa prowler

join:2003-09-11
Matamoras, PA
reply to kickass69
Wondering if anyone in PA has gotten "the letter" yet? I'm in Matamoras and so far no official word from the mother ship. I can say that TWC on 62 has gone dark if that signifies anything. I believe our service here is part of the New Jersey system.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
said by pa prowler:

Wondering if anyone in PA has gotten "the letter" yet? I'm in Matamoras and so far no official word from the mother ship. I can say that TWC on 62 has gone dark if that signifies anything. I believe our service here is part of the New Jersey system.

It wont just go out, they will replace all the affected channels with a message that says you need a box to get the channel. If you just get a black picture there is something else wrong...

pa prowler

join:2003-09-11
Matamoras, PA
OK. I rescanned the channels and still not getting a signal there, so it must be some other problem. Thanks, though.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to pa prowler
A few weeks ago I noticed when doing my weekly Analog/Clear QAM scans that Cablevision removed The Weather Channel and EWTN on 68 on the Morris County system that I'm on.

Technically the system you're in is labeled Matamoras as shown in the TV lineups but listed under New Jersey:

»www.optimum.com/channel_lineups.jsp

Matamoras (NY & PA areas)
Branchville, Layton, Milford, Mill Rift, Montague

Lrscpa

join:1999-08-26
Demarest, NJ
Bergen/Cresskill was converted on 8/21. Wondering when I can get rid of those !@#$%^ Tuning Adapters?!?

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Someone else would have to chime in who has a Tuning Adapter who's system has gone all digital to confirm which channels if any still need them. You can also try removing the adapter and see if you still need it as well.

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1
Historically it has taken about 3 months after the switch to digital for your system to stop using SDV for:

NHL Network HD (channel 791).
Big Ten Network & Big Ten Network HD (channels 413/720).
Smithsonian Channel & Smithsonian Channel HD (channels 163/780).
Limited premium HD movie channels.

They normally provide messages on the lower guide channel and bills when channels will no longer need a tuning adapter.

After that you will only need a tuning adapter for:

Subscription international programming packages, including iO en español, iO Russian, iO Korean, etc.
Subscription sports packages, including MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, etc.
3D on iO TV

Unless you're on one of the following systems that don't use SDV for anything: Bronx, Brooklyn, Elizabeth, Hudson, Newark, and Paterson.

Lrscpa

join:1999-08-26
Demarest, NJ
I disconnected the TA and could not receive the SDV channels.

That said, will there be any notification that SDV is done? I assume CV will want these F!@#$%ng Tuning Adapters back.