uniqs
share rss forum feed

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ

2 edits
reply to kickass69

Re: [iO] New Jersey All Digital

We were charged a fee to get service due to the digital change because our area wasn't yet converted to digital despite other towns being converted in our county.

Is that even legal?

Think I can get a refund for this?

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit
reply to Bob4
Seems like the Morris County system has gone all digital.

Did a second QAM scan this week. Between Monday when I did my QAM scan and this morning the analog feeds are now showing you need a box now. There's a ton more Clear QAM channels viewable now as a result.

Just have to wait until the analog feeds are fully turned off to catch up on a year's worth of HD additions and fewer SDV channels.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Jmartz
said by Jmartz:

I like the new Samsung boxes, they look modern, and are faster.

Except they're at least 3 times bigger than they need to be. The box is mostly empty space.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to kickass69
The SA boxes don't use the cards for anything. They are just required for the box to work. I picked up boxes and they forgot to give me a card on one of them, it wouldn't work. I took the box back and they, without question just took another card from another box and stuck it into my box and said to go back and try again. -- I did, it worked.

They did not scan the card... weird.

I like the new Samsung boxes, they look modern, and are faster. Can't wait to see what the new software looks like when it rolls out.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to andrewc2
In the future when I eventually have to replace my 4250HD and 4200, I'd specifically ask for Samsungs as you experienced it's not automatic you'll get them.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to andrewc2
All three Samsung boxes I got had extra bar code labels taped to the bottom, blocking the cooling vents.

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to kickass69
When I picked up 4 boxes at the store yesterday I only got SA boxes, 3x 4200's and 1x 4250. They must have had Samsung boxes at some point as they were familiar with the initialization process.

Because I was getting four boxes it meant 4 cards, so I asked if the new boxes w/o cards is easier for them to enter into the system. They said no, it's just as long a process, they just don't have physical card to scan it's a digital card basically.

civic110

@optonline.net
reply to BarryS14
I'm confused by all these letters...

I received the digital letter indicating my system was going digital on June 5. Turns out the blue screen just showed up this past Tuesday, so the conversion has begun just now, over three months after receiving the letter. Of course, now I have tons of time to wait until the blue screen goes off the TV's without boxes attached to them.

BarryS14

join:2007-02-12
reply to kickass69
Got my letter in the mail yesterday. The Rockland system is going all digital on Oct. 16. Cablevision must be running behind.

rtbond

join:2007-11-28
Hopatcong, NJ
reply to andrewc2
I mentioned some of the PC-based CableCard DVR solutions in the link above (»[iO] Plain box for cablecard?), which includes Windows 7 Media Center based solutions.

The Moxi HD DVR was recently discontinued. The Ceton Q is not yet available. I am not sure if there are any others.

andrewc2

Matamoras, PA
reply to rtbond
how about dvr's other than tivo?

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ
reply to andrewc2
said by andrewc2:

Also are the cable card tuners out there for TV's rather than paying for cable boxes, after the year's up, a few $2/m cards wouldn't be too bad on the bill vs. $7x 4 boxes

The short answer is no, CableCARD-ready TVs are a thing of the past. See the recent thread below

»[iO] Plain box for cablecard?

andrewc2

Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to kickass69
Yeah we got the letter in Matamoras, PA as well. What areas after this will not have been transitioned to all digital?

Also anyone know if you could use the SA box and Samsung box at the same time in the same room, we typically have our tv's setup to watch digital cable or analog cable so if something's recording it can record and you can watch something else live.

Also are the cable card tuners out there for TV's rather than paying for cable boxes, after the year's up, a few $2/m cards wouldn't be too bad on the bill vs. $7x 4 boxes

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ
reply to kickass69
I believe the Mine Hill Hub Office serves the greater Lake Hopatcong area. So I think the digital conversion dates vary according to the Hub Office (i.e., the place where the QAM modulators are located and the HFC (Access) network begins). I do not believe the Hub Office conversion dates are published, just the rather wide windows for the conversion of the entire system (Morris/Randolph in this case)

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to HoundNJ
According to my link above Randolph goes all digital on the 27th while Parsippany on the 20th. But your letter states a month later so we'll see ultimately.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit
reply to Tradewind
I guess my letter above only states the cut off to take advantage of getting boxes 'free' for a year but not the actual date of when it'll happen apparently.

I originally used this link: »optimum.custhelp.com/app/answers···elated/1

Click on 'Click Here' in the second paragraph, that's the deployment schedule I've always referenced.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to kickass69
If you ask, I bet you'll find I'm right.

Tradewind
Ultra 101
Premium
join:2005-11-08
Marlboro, NJ
reply to kickass69
Is their a road map for deployment?

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to Bob4
I honestly don't know. Never needed to ask either on the phone or when a tech has been here in the past.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to kickass69
said by kickass69:

Though it would seem strange that different towns within a system get different dates.

Different head ends. Don't you have head ends in Parsippany and Mount Olive?

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to HoundNJ
Well then I guess that's for the Morris County system in general not just Denville. Though it would seem strange that different towns within a system get different dates.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to uroberto
said by uroberto:

I got the letter here a couple of weeks ago. Piscataway's date is October 9.

Odd that I haven't gotten it yet. Perhaps because I have a cable card device on one set and a box on the other.

ilsno

@optonline.net
reply to uroberto
Get her done already! Want to see what kind of changes Cablevision makes once the entire footprint is all digital. Im assuming the cloud based guide, and hopefully the rest of the HD channels for Showtime and Starz finally get added.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

I'm on the Raritan system and we switched to all-digital over a month ago.

Maybe in your neighborhood, but I still get the analog channels via a regular cable tuner built into my tv.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to mbernste
I'm on the Raritan system and we switched to all-digital over a month ago.

uroberto

join:2001-05-01
Piscataway, NJ
reply to mbernste
I got the letter here a couple of weeks ago. Piscataway's date is October 9.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
Piscataway, NJ
reply to kickass69
I have yet to get the letter here in Piscataway. Maybe we're last since it's where the office is for the Raritan system? I really don't see where one has to do with the other, but who the heck knows.

HoundNJ

join:2010-10-08
Denville, NJ
reply to kickass69
Receiver the letter today. Oct. 16 is the day for the digital cutover in Denville NJ.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to pa prowler
Ahh, a month later than here in the Morris County system, I guess PA is truly last in everything CV.

pa prowler

join:2003-09-11
Matamoras, PA
reply to kickass69
Got "the letter" today in Matamoras, PA. . . "all televisions will require digital equipment by October 16, 2012".