spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

Stealth speed upgrade for Lite

With little fanfare, Rogers has doubled the download speed on Lite, and bumped up the usage by 5GB.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

When I first got Lite 10 years ago it was 128kbps down and 32kbps up unlimited for $29.95 month. 20GB a month is about what you need if you're a daily user. 15GB was cutting it too fine. I still think Express is the best bang for the buck these days at $55 month tax inc. Way too much money though. Lite at $43.50 month tax inc is highway robbery. Good thing I own my own modem.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by elitefx:

When I first got Lite 10 years ago it was 128kbps down and 32kbps up unlimited for $29.95 month. 20GB a month is about what you need if you're a daily user. 15GB was cutting it too fine. I still think Express is the best bang for the buck these days at $55 month tax inc. Way too much money though. Lite at $43.50 month tax inc is highway robbery. Good thing I own my own modem.

You do know that you can get Cable Lite from 3rd party cable ISP for at least $10 less?

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by HiVolt:

You do know that you can get Cable Lite from 3rd party cable ISP for at least $10 less?

Yea, everybody on the planet is cheaper than Rogers. They throttle less, they give you more, same ole same ole. Thing is, by the time I've gone to all the hassle of switching ISPs I'd be so fed up I'd want to give my 5 grand worth of rigs to Goodwill and just say to hell with it all.
What good is the internet anyway if you have to sell your soul and mortgage your house to use it ??

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to bt

Anon

to bt
Should also point out that this new Lite tier requires a D3 modem as well.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by yyzlhr :

Why are you saying this? Do you have any proof at all? It is an absurd suggestion, which makes me think you are joking. However, it is a stupid joke, and it will misinform people who don't know better because you sound so certain. The policy has always been that D2 modems are good to 15mbit.

(and if it is true, it is just one more hella-big reason to switch to Teksavvy or Start Communications, as if anybody needed another)
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by Teddy Boom:

The policy has always been that D2 modems are good to 15mbit.

Not true. Express was D3-required for 12Mbps, unless you were willing to put in a LOT of time arguing with them.

As for why they would make a 6Mbps Lite package require D3 - it's to get people off of D2 modems. It's no secret that Rogers wants everyone to go to D3 as it makes better use of network resources than D2 does.

yyzlhr has been a good source of low-level insider information for Rogers, so I'd tend to believe this claim.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by bt:

said by Teddy Boom:

The policy has always been that D2 modems are good to 15mbit.

Not true. Express was D3-required for 12Mbps, unless you were willing to put in a LOT of time arguing with them.

As for why they would make a 6Mbps Lite package require D3 - it's to get people off of D2 modems. It's no secret that Rogers wants everyone to go to D3 as it makes better use of network resources than D2 does.

I thought that was due to the strategic placing of the speeds. Like, getting an old Extreme plan on a D2 modem became difficult, where getting an old Express plan wasn't difficult. I don't know, I haven't been following these details for Rogers customers so closely.

Nonetheless, if Rogers is asking for D3 on 6mbit plans... I mean... It is just an absurd notion really, and if there is anything to it at all we need more information about that badly.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Rogers is changing universally to D3 modems ... they don't want to support D2 or even D1 modems on their network any more. It's not that you can't technically use them ... just standardization.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

Rogers is changing universally to D3 modems ... they don't want to support D2 or even D1 modems on their network any more. It's not that you can't technically use them ... just standardization.

Rogers isn't providing D2 modems to new customers, obviously, and that makes sense. Rogers wants old customers to buy new equipment because they make money from that, also makes sense. At the same time we have all the TPIA D2 users, so...

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to Teddy Boom

Anon

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

said by yyzlhr :

Why are you saying this? Do you have any proof at all? It is an absurd suggestion, which makes me think you are joking. However, it is a stupid joke, and it will misinform people who don't know better because you sound so certain. The policy has always been that D2 modems are good to 15mbit.

(and if it is true, it is just one more hella-big reason to switch to Teksavvy or Start Communications, as if anybody needed another)

This is certainly not a joke. Rogers D3 "policy" is not based on speed, its based on whatever they feel like doing. Rogers is likely moving towards D3 gateways as they are no longer buying any D2 equipment and the inventory of D2 equipment worthy of refurbishment is dwindling.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

1 edit

BliZZardX to bt

Premium Member

to bt
Click for full size
Are they upgrading existing users? My parents are Lite users on a 4x4 D3 SB6120 and still getting 3Mbit.

I can't believe the upload is UNCH. You can't even do a decent Skype video conference with 256kbps. Might as well get Bell for less money and 4x the upload. Garbage attempt at plan matching.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

The upgrades are not automatic. You must call as this new Lite package is also $3.50 more expensive than the old one.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by yyzlhr :

The upgrades are not automatic. You must call as this new Lite package is also $3.50 more expensive than the old one.

Ah, the plot thickens. So now we see how Rogers will attempt to recoup those "hidden" fees they can't openly charge anymore......

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX to yyzlhr

Premium Member

to yyzlhr
Of course you have to pay more... fuck this upgrade, this line is basically only used for VoIP and has less than 2GB/month usage. The minute Bell turns on LTE at Kipling/Steeles I'm replacing Rogers and this SB6120 with a $10 18GB pooled data SIM card and a CradlePoint.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

What good is the internet anyway if you have to sell your soul and mortgage your house to use it ??

But it sounds like you're with Rogers anyway so you're saying it's OK for them to rape you.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by 34764170:

But it sounds like you're with Rogers anyway so you're saying it's OK for them to rape you.

Having a little episode of the ole Attention deficit disorder are we??? ......
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned)

said by elitefx:

said by 34764170:

Having a little episode of the ole Attention deficit disorder are we??? ......

You were complaining about Rogers and said it was too much of a hassle to switch.
arahman56
join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON

arahman56 to elitefx

to elitefx
Funny, my switch to Distributel was painless. Got cancellation date from Rogers, notified Distributel of the of the date, they sent in the modem early, and on the cancellation date, switched the modem. And done.

The only issue I had was the intermittent downtimes at the first week- but that was caused by the modem being in the wrong location. Once that was fixed (had to call Rogers Tech service twice, because the phone line was suffering the same issues. The first Tech switched the splitter. Still the same issue. The second one figured out that the Internet line was in the wrong place, and moved the line. And that fixed up the issue.), it's been smooth sailing for me. I have been on the 3Mbps plan for $33, would be upgrading to the 6Mbit plan for $35 next month.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

I can confirm this as well.. tech and I had a conversation about this for quite some time. Techs aren't carrying anything but D3 in their vans. He was complaining about space and that he dumped all his older modems now

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Tx:

I can confirm this as well.. tech and I had a conversation about this for quite some time. Techs aren't carrying anything but D3 in their vans. He was complaining about space and that he dumped all his older modems now

What about for business customers? I still have a Webstar docsis 2.0 at work. whenever they've been replaced in the past its always been with a D2 modem whether a SB5100 or a webstar.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

said by Tx:

What about for business customers? I still have a Webstar docsis 2.0 at work. whenever they've been replaced in the past its always been with a D2 modem whether a SB5100 or a webstar.

Can't confirm business myself. Just know what the tech and I were talking about. From my understanding is Rogers is moving away from multiple products to stick with the minimal. 1 type of D3 1 type of or should say brand of router. Netgears is my understanding what they are forcing on everyone slowly.

He was just complaining about how packed his truck was and how he'll finally have room once so and so items are finally gone.