spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

insider_tech

@bell.ca

new bandwidth caps... for students only???

Click for full size
This is making the rounds in company emails at BTS. I poked around the bell.ca website quickly and couldn't find the comparable plans. Available at the BTS sales desk. I'm sure someone here would be willing to post that toll free number.

Discuss.....

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada

Yes, they also throw in the "special" package of tv with the channels from better and best.
--
"Lord giveth but he also taketh away"
»www.speedtest.net/result/2102768148.png

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to insider_tech

Almost looks like Bell is starting to notice that students are spreading the word about 3rd-party ISPs.

ruggs

join:2012-03-26
Ontario
reply to insider_tech

or

both numbers go to the same place

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to insider_tech

Problem is it reverts back to regular usage after 8 months so....seems kinda bunky to me...

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by nitzguy:

Problem is it reverts back to regular usage after 8 months so....seems kinda bunky to me...

For a fixed location service, it's pretty common for student offers to last only through the normal school year. It's somewhat odd that this one goes a month longer.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

join:2005-08-24
Scarborough
kudos:2
reply to insider_tech

At those prices, and with those caps, Bell is selling their retail connection at less than what they charge their wholesalers (IISPs). So much for cost + 10%.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

I thought it was retail -15% ? Either way the iisps are getting hosed again.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

I have it wrong in my post anyway...

I think originally Bell wanted it to be retail -15%, but that got canned. Then the CRTC gave them cost + 15% for the legacy stuff and cost + 15% + 10% for the FTTN stuff... or something like that.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

I thought it was retail -15% ? Either way the iisps are getting hosed again.

Cost +10% is the CRTC norm for "mandated essential service"

Internet is mandated non-essential and in Bell's pre-CBB filings, they tried going for multiple values ranging from retail -25% in their first UBB proposition to full-retail prices in their last UBB filing.

The current CBB rates are allegedly set at cost +15%. (The standard 10% + 5% extra markup to offset opportunity losses.)

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
kudos:1
reply to insider_tech

On the Bell's web site for students here:

»www.bell.ca/Bell_Internet/Promot···od8XcAFw

If you click on See full offer details; Bell spells out the maximum and minimum download speeds the customer may get.

Min - Max Download / Upload Speeds

The Fibe packages don't list an up to download speed and it looks like Bell is guaranteeing the download speed.

I don't recall seeing this anywhere else on Bell's site in the past. Perhaps I missed it.

Rick

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

Bell does not provide ANY speed guarantees for consumer internet products.