Search similar:

uniqs

jmdomini
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
Sycamore, IL

jmdomini

Premium Member

[General] Reliable Provider With Outgoing Caller ID and BYOD?

I am currently with Inphonex and am fed up with their service. The latest problem is that I discovered yesterday that I had four voicemail come in the week and received absolutely no notification about them!

I had previously been with Callcentric, overall I was very happy with them except for one thing. They do not send any outgoing caller ID information. So I came up as "Illinois Call", "Out of Area","Wisconsin Call" for folks that had caller ID. This was a problem because many people don't answer the phone for these sorts of caller ID's, like my own parents for example. Real ILEC like outgoing caller ID is one thing Inphonex does well.

So, are there any other providers out there that fit my requirements?

1.)Provide real outgoing caller ID where my first and last name will come up on receipents caller ID's.
2.)Provide business class reliability and sound quality on a residential line.
3.)Can port in a number from Rockford,IL 779-771-6 and Beloit,WI 608-313-4.
4.)Will allow BYOD, I have a business calls device and don't want to be downgraded to something like a PAP2.

That's it, it doesn't seem like a lot but it seems to be a tall order in the residential market. Especially when it comes to item #1.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

Re: [General] Reliable Provider With Outgoing Caller ID and BYOD

If you want business class reliability, are you willing to pay a business rate?

AcroVoice can provide everything you want, but you're looking at about $35/mo for a small office/home office type of package.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to jmdomini

Premium Member

to jmdomini
Someone recently commented that FlowRoute does outbound CNAM. And they are BYOD.

I didn't check out your specific numbers....
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to jmdomini

to jmdomini
You want the name showing up not just the phone number. Callcentric does send your number and people recognize that number as mine. Dont even care what else it says.
As a business I could see it as a downside. As a private person it doesn't affect me. For you I guess a deal breaker.

jmdomini
Premium Member
Sycamore, IL

jmdomini to Trev

Premium Member

to Trev
Up until a certain degree, yes! I wouldn't pay the thousands that some companies want to setup a dedicated PBX etc., nor do I need that. I would pay that ~$35/month you quoted though!
said by Trev:

If you want business class reliability, are you willing to pay a business rate?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to jmdomini

to jmdomini
Not sure what you mean with callcentric not doing outbound Caller ID. Every call I've made comes up as the name I set in the "address" field on the website on the account, like "Michael Wolf" »www.callcentric.com/faq/31#217
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

CC supports outbound CID (caller ID number) but does not officially support populating the multiple LIDB for true CNAM (caller ID name).

However, AFAIK (and in my experience) they do support initial LIDB population when numbers are ported in.

This thing is a little academic these days. Half or more of the calls coming into my business are from cellphones, and most of those cellphones are from Verizon Wireless so they do NOT have CNAM anyway. (VZW just started offering that as an option).

In other words, half of our inbound calls just say things like [Cellphone NJ] and that is Verizon's doing....

So while the OP's point is well taken, the fact is that CNAM is getting less useful all the time.

It's more useful in areas where AT&T rather than VZW dominates the cellphones....
said by Mike Wolf:

Every call I've made comes up as the name I set in the "address" field on the website on the account, like "Michael Wolf"....

As above, CID and CNAM are related but different.

CID is the eggs. CNAM is the eggs plus the bacon.

The issue is [not] what name shows up when you call another VoIP customer. Yes, a true Voip-to-Voip call generally should transmit full name (CNAM).

Rather, the question is what shows up when "Michael Wolf" calls a POTS number.

Does it shows as "Michael Wolf" or something else like "Private", or even "Toms River NJ" or something similar corresponding to your NPA-NXX.

This is an older post, but discusses some of this:
»Re: [General] PAYG Providers who Populate LIDB/CNAM Database?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Yes I understand what you mean regarding what shows up when a POTS line is called from a VoIP provider.

Also I have Verizon Wireless and 'WIRELESS CALLER" is what shows up on the caller ID's when a POTS line is being called from a cellphone.

If you want to call my POTS line from your Callcentric just PM me so we can see what shows up. Also not sure I've ever heard of LIDB. Is it this? »www22.verizon.com/wholes ··· IDB.html
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIDB

Trev
Premium Member
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

I've ever heard of LIDB. Is it this? »www22.verizon.com/wholes ··· IDB.html
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIDB

Yep:

The Line Information Database (LIDB) is a database for alternate billing arrangements, Originating Line Number Screening (OLNS) and Calling Name Delivery (CNAM).

PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

LIDB. Is it this?

Yes, for calls in the US (and many calls in Canada) the receiving company sends the incoming number to a database (the LIDB) where it is matched to a name.

Generally this process is easier and cheaper for the big boys (Verizon and AT&T) especially because so many of the numbers are theirs to begin with.

And it is therefore especially outrageous that folks like Verizon charge their customers around 10 bucks a month for inbound CID/CNAM service....

....a service that many VoIP providers include at little or no extra cost (at least the inbound CID if not the CNAM).

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

What about this? »Re: [Equipment] What's up with crippled Gigaset C610H (US/CAN)
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

What about it?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

whats your thoughts on that CNIP?
Expand your moderator at work

jmdomini
Premium Member
Sycamore, IL

jmdomini

Premium Member

Re: [General] Reliable Provider With Outgoing Caller ID and BYOD

Trev is getting me setup with Acrovoice, so once my numbers port over I should be all set.
w1ve
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH

w1ve to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

Someone recently commented that FlowRoute does outbound CNAM. And they are BYOD.

I didn't check out your specific numbers....

That was me. FlowRoute fully supports CNAM population to the LIDB for free. USA/Canada Termination is $0.0098/min. DIDs are very similar pricing to everyone else for both metered and unmetered service.

I use the CNAM for my business. Lots of biz customers want it. For example, one of my biz customers bought a Vitelity DID; when they called themselves, a completely different name showed up on the CNAM (and NOT the CLEC!) That did not make them happy!

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by w1ve:

....I use the CNAM for my business. Lots of biz customers want it.

For example, one of my biz customers bought a Vitelity DID; when they called themselves, a completely different name showed up on the CNAM (and NOT the CLEC!) That did not make them happy!

Just think....

Santa Claus would not be so jolly if his outbound calls put up Easter Bunny on the recipient's CID, even if the number portion WAS correct.

As I see it, it's one thing for a caller's service provider to simply not broadcast CNAM (or for a recipient's provider to drop the CNAM if it arrives), and while not an optimum situation, at least there would be no errors, and there sometimes are workarounds.

But it's a whole different kettle of fish if some bogus CNAM string magically appears !
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to w1ve

Premium Member

to w1ve
said by w1ve:

....For example, one of my biz customers bought a Vitelity DID; when they called themselves, a completely different name showed up on the CNAM (and NOT the CLEC!) That did not make them happy!

In my experience Vitelity calls often show up as a CNAM of Vitelity or Sixtel (Sixtel was bought by Vitelity).

But supposedly Vitelity offers LIDB population in most markets for a fee....

All that applies as well to many Voip.MS numbers in the US market, as they use Vitelity.
PX Eliezer704

PX Eliezer704 to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Santa Claus would not be so jolly if his outbound calls put up Easter Bunny on the recipient's CID, even if the number portion WAS correct.

Reindeer being forced to pull a fat man and lots of gifts thru the air at supraluminal speeds.

A rabbit (which is after all a mammal) being forced to lay eggs.

I don't think [anyone] is jolly!

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Who could be jolly having to deal with that sub zero temperature in the North Pole, especially with Santa's arthritis, bad back, and bum knee. It's a miracle they still let him drive with his eyesight so bad. [insert Rudolf joke here]
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf

(tap tap) is this thing on?

Anyway I still need to wonder what companies offer location naming along with their CNAM info.

Trev
Premium Member
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

I think that's a feature of Gigaset's built in CNAM lookup feature that uses public websites.

If I'm mistaken, I'd be happy to be informed of the correct SIP headers to set, which would result in this becoming available to AcroVoice subscribers

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Except Gigaset's CNAM lookup public directory doesnt work in the United States so it's sort of useless unless you live in a European Country, if that's what you meant.

Trev
Premium Member
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Except Gigaset's CNAM lookup public directory doesnt work in the United States so it's sort of useless unless you live in a European Country, if that's what you meant.

Yep, that's pretty much how it is as far as I can tell.
Trev

1 recommendation

Trev to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Actually, I bet I could integrate the Caller ID lookup tool on Gigaset phones with the service at cnam.info which would return both a caller's name and the city+state/province they are in. It would be a paid service with a $2 monthly minimum. Since I have a Gigaset to play with I'm fairly confident I could make that work for anyone who's interested.