Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

[Sci-Fi] Ender's Game Update / Getting IMAX Premiere

(original thread: »[Sci-Fi] Ender's Game Coming to the Big Screen, Eventually (Nov)

"Ender's Game" will premiere in IMAX, Lionsgate said Friday on a conference call with analysts.

The adaptation of Orson Scott Card's novel is set to debut in theaters on Nov. 1, 2013. That means that the studio will have two IMAX releases in the same month.

"The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" premieres on Nov. 22, 2013 and will include scenes shot with IMAX cameras.

Lionsgate believes that it may have another franchise on its hands to go along with "The Hunger Games" and "Twilight" if audiences embrace "Ender's Game."

"There's a lot of books," Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer said. "We're excited about the franchise."

But he did temper expectations slightly, noting, "it's a very different kind of franchise than 'The Hunger Games.'"

"Ender's Game" is a futuristic adventure about a young man who is drafted by the military to help save the human race.

Harrison Ford, Ben Kingsley, Abigail Breslin and Asa Butterfield have been lined up to star in the film from writer and director Gavin Hood ("X-Men Origins: Wolverine").

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

I just hope they don't give it a kiddie-treatment. It's one of my favourite books and I would love to see something as good on screen, so I'm hoping they won't try to cater to the Twilight and Hunger Games fans.

Elderberry
Premium Member
join:2001-07-24
Shreveport, LA

Elderberry

Premium Member

said by ekster:

I just hope they don't give it a kiddie-treatment. It's one of my favourite books and I would love to see something as good on screen, so I'm hoping they won't try to cater to the Twilight and Hunger Games fans.

I'd be willing to bet they do exactly that.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
I'm really looking forward to seeing Ender's Game on the big screen, even though I know it won't be as good as the book was. I find that movies are never as good as the book, especially sci-fi movies. They usually don't stay very faithful to the source material, and that ruins it for me.
Laidback
join:2001-09-30
Cochrane, ON

Laidback to darcilicious

to darcilicious
A year wait. Looking forward to this. Hopefully, they will stay close to the book.

Ender3rd
join:2001-07-15
Connecticut
·Frontier FiberOp..

Ender3rd to ekster

to ekster
said by ekster:

I have the same fear. Hopefully, it won't sink to the level of "Starship Troopers" which had about the same maturity level as most people's junior high school days.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

said by Ender3rd:

said by ekster:

I have the same fear. Hopefully, it won't sink to the level of "Starship Troopers" which had about the same maturity level as most people's junior high school days.

Starship Troopers was a great popcorn film(read turn your brain off at the door.) Though I am pretty sure it would have been hit without sharing the book title. Starcraft had a more solid plot than that movie and its a video game.

Ender3rd
join:2001-07-15
Connecticut
·Frontier FiberOp..

Ender3rd

Yes, even as it was produced, Starship Troopers was not unpleasant to watch. The book, however, was a serious political and social statement which was only lightly brushed in the movie and lost in the bubble gum junior high school relationships portrayed between the characters.

Let's hope Ender's Game is not trivialized in the same way with the movie version.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

well I think the Harry Potter and LOTR movies have at least shown now that people are willing to go to a movie that follows the books as logically close as a movie can and still be a functional movie.

crazediamond
Maybe you shouldn't be so proud?
Premium Member
join:2002-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

crazediamond to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
said by ekster:

If they don't "kiddie-treatment" it I'm not sure how well certain aspects will go over. For example, a 6 year old protagonist who in multiple instances beats other kids to death. Cold and calculating as well, not spur of the moment
LucasLee
join:2010-11-26

LucasLee

i'd love to see a good film version of this series, but even JUST the Ender's Game book is far too long for a single movie. And that's while ignoring the rather significant expansion that story received via Ender's Shadow.

additionally, if the beatings of Stilson and Bonzo aren't well handled i'll lose interest in much of the rest. it's certainly difficult subject matter if you want it to appeal to the same tween demographic that Hunger Games and Twilight went for.