O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to Semaphore

Re: [Equipment] Yet another T200 bites the dust

I don't know how you guys do it. I see hams and whatnot climbing these skinny-ass towers. You could never pay me enough to go up one of those. Guyed or not.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to LLigetfa

said by LLigetfa:

said by Inssomniak:

Ive seen DMX68's fold over here with a single CPE on it.

Not what I want to hear. Was thinking of putting one up at my house to get above some fast growing trees. I need it to support two dishes and was considering an 8-bay bow-tie at the top to pull in some OTA from 150 miles away.

Freak wind storms mind you. But Im not sure Id ever put 2 dishes on one at least nowhere near the top. Hell with my fat 190 pound ass on the top of one it feels like its gonna fold over.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08

1 edit
reply to Inssomniak

said by Inssomniak:

Hahaha yea who would climb it?

Heh I saw a DMX medium duty (My site #6 is the HD series) with 5 added straight sections (yes 5 the guy who ran this wisp was clueless) with no guy wires survive a tornado less then 600 meters away that tor a path through a corn field around the tower grossly overloaded with 6 grid antenna's and 5 or 6 sectors.

Ive also seen "golden nugget" tv towers go down. One of them was only 1.5 sections above the roof just a vhf/uhf tv antenna yagi and nanobridge 25dbi it came right down on the roof.

DMX towers are wicked, even the most solid golden nugget tv tower I have 8 feet above the mounting point height isn't as solid at the top as a properly built DMX. Site#6 don't even sway on a windy day if you go to the top and shake it real good.

said by LLigetfa:

said by Inssomniak:

Not what I want to hear. Was thinking of putting one up at my house to get above some fast growing trees. I need it to support two dishes and was considering an 8-bay bow-tie at the top to pull in some OTA from 150 miles away.

I would not recommend putting anything but your tv antenna at the top. Last 1/4 of the tower is much more flimsy feeling then the rest of it.

Also calculate your wind loading and ensure you do not exceeded what delhi/wade antenna says the DMX your building can handle.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

I only need about 40 feet for the dishes.

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08

said by LLigetfa:

I only need about 40 feet for the dishes.

That should be good but keep in mind to keep the wind loading to what the rating on the version of the tower you have.

»www.wade-antenna.com/Wade/DMX.pdf

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
reply to LLigetfa

I've a DMX68 with a single parabolic (with Radome) and a small panel standing for 10 years now and we've had some REALLY bad wind the past two years. They are tough to work on near the top though - not much foot room. The the top plate and the rotator plate below it are not made to take a lot of torque imho.
We have about 4 dozen towers, most are less than 80', but there are a few over 200' to our gear and I'd far sooner climb any of them than the only T200 that we have.

Semaphore
Premium
reply to nunya

LOL - I think climbers hear that a lot... it's easy just don't look down and never climb if that air-raid siren in your head is going full out.... I ignored it once and shoulda died as a result. Other than that: training, equipment, and don't look down or straight up for that matter and stay focused on what you're doing.

superdog
I Need A Drink
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA

said by Semaphore:

LOL - I think climbers hear that a lot... it's easy just don't look down and never climb if that air-raid siren in your head is going full out.... I ignored it once and shoulda died as a result.

I always get a gut feeling within 5 minutes of being on site if I should be climbing the tower or not. I have climbed some real pieces of junk over the years. I have already gone 1/2 way up a few and turned right around and went back down.

You just know it when you put your foot on the first rung that something isn't right? Last year, I got a call to climb up and replace an HDTV antenna on a tower that was made up of those imitation Rohn 20G tower sections. I have no clue who makes them, but they look just like a 20G, only a LOT thinner. It was all rusty and hadn't been serviced in quite a few years and had guys with the wires coming apart on it.

It was only guyed 1 time and it was like 3 sections above the roof line. I refused to climb it! The guy who subbed me out got mad (It's funny?, he climbs stuff all the time, but he was "BUSY" that week, Lol), the customer got all bent out of shape but I didn't care. I got into the truck and left. 5 days later it folded and smashed into the roof. IMAGINE THAT!
--
»www.wavecrazy.net

Semaphore
Premium

I climbed a gold nugget 18ga that was more than 4 sections over the roof line. 7 Sections in total, with a big ass VHF antenna on a 15' mast on top of it. It had No guys, but I was only going to mount at 2 sections over the roof so even though it didn't look good, I decided to go for it... what could go wrong eh ?

I was on the house side of it and just getting to the height when I heard a 'crick' noise - which I think was the bolt on the outside leg sheering (?) - and started to list hard to the outside at the joint just above the roof brace. I was lucky that it happened 'slowly' enough that I slid down the tower with only my lanyard (like a fire pole) about 10' and then jumped/fell backwards onto the peak of the roof as the top 40' peeled over and crashed into the roof of the garage 20' below. Stupid and Lucky to be alive - had I been on the 'outside' it would have went over so fast I would have road it all the way down.

Implemented some very strict rules on gold nuggets and site assessment following that, and every nugget I climb now freaks me out even if it's rock solid.