share rss forum feed

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

Lite goes from 3mbit/s to 6mbit/s for Rogers customers

Any word on this for Teksavvy customers?

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

Hello,

We will be offering 6Megs lite service as of Sept 21st. The 3Meg service will be removed as of Sept 21st.
There is no automatic upgrade from 3 to 6megs.
All existing 3 Mbps customers will be grandfathered at that speed, and price.

We are not notifying our existing customer as their service is not changing.

Regards,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Teddy Boom

Funny how times change. Roger's Lite package is now as fast as most Bell DSL customers. I cannot see that being a mistake on Robbers part. Also 5GB more usage than what Bell offers. Price is relatively comparable.

So Martin we can expect a new 6Mbps tier with a new price?

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

No details concerning price has been released yet.

Gimli
Premium
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4
reply to TSI Martin

huh?
if the tier is being replaced - why is there a question about auto upgrades or price? even with the current approve TPIA model, the dif in price for a 3meg ($12.31) and a 10 meg ($14.25) is nothing.

and we all know that the 10 became 12 then 18 with no price dif.
The 18meg became 28, so where is the confusion?

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

The confusion seems to be that TSI won't let the upgrade just flow through to customers. Whoever is on Lite now will stay at 3Mbps. This is odd as you rightly pointed out that the other tiers just got their speed upgrades and stayed the same. Is there something about this at the regulatory level that is different and necessitates the grandfathering of previous accounts?

Gimli
Premium
l5a2o4

1 edit

yeap....something doesn't sit right with me.
especially when Rogers customers are getting wonderful upload upgrades free and tier changes at no cost.

Perhaps Tek doesn't what the changes to happen because their poi links will drown like they did before with the "unexpected" tier shifts.

They have prob asked rogers not to upgrade TPIA - i wonder what the other tpia's are doing...

join:2012-08-06
reply to Teddy Boom

Very internet indeed. TSI is starting to fail
»Cable internet speed upgrade

Start.ca:
Cable internet speed upgrade
We're happy to announce that effective immediately our 'Cable Basic Internet' service in the -red- network area has been upgraded from 3 Mbps to 6 Mbps. Customers already on the 3 Mbps profile will be automatically upgraded without charge over the next couple of weeks.

We expect to have a similar announcement for the Cable Advanced Internet package in the Cogeco areas soon, hopefully by the end of the month.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to Gimli

said by Gimli:

Perhaps Tek doesn't what the changes to happen because their poi links will drown like they did before with the "unexpected" tier shifts.

I doubt TSI has that many 3Mbps TPIA subscribers and that enough of those use their 3Mbps heavily enough to make a substantially larger dent after getting bumped to 6Mbps.

bbiab

join:2004-05-26

But isn't it just a little perplexing how the fails are just continuing to add up?

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

said by Gimli:

I doubt TSI has that many 3Mbps TPIA subscribers and that enough of those use their 3Mbps heavily enough to make a substantially larger dent after getting bumped to 6Mbps.

Something tells me this is a difference between the Aggregated and Non-aggreggated POIs...

Everyone thinks Start is the bee's knees, and it may be, but that probably explains why they get the upgrade and TSI customers do not....

Not as perplexing as it seems...its too bad that other ISPs weren't there "in the beginning" but....you know, people tend to have short memories...

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by nitzguy:

Everyone thinks Start is the bee's knees

No unlimited accounts, nothing to be interested in. Way too much fail at Start.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Gimli

said by Gimli:

especially when Rogers customers are getting wonderful upload upgrades free and tier changes at no cost.

The upload speed increases have only been rolled out to customers whom have called in and asked about it. That means over 95% of their customer base still does not have said upgrades.

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to Gimli

>and we all know that the 10 became 12 then 18 with no price dif.

That was wrong! Might want to check your facts. TSI did raised the price around the time for the new DSL pricing. TSI sent out an email blaming the CRTC ruling even though it only applied for DSL while TPIA still is on the existing non-aggregated pricing.

Thankfully, Rogers raised the speed after that and made the price increase a bit more tolerable.

bbiab

reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

said by Gimli:

The upload speed increases have only been rolled out to customers whom have called in and asked about it. That means over 95% of their customer base still does not have said upgrades.

Could you clarify what these upgrades have been?

Gimli
Premium
l5a2o4
reply to Ott_Cable

said by Ott_Cable :

>and we all know that the 10 became 12 then 18 with no price dif.

That was wrong! Might want to check your facts. TSI did raised the price around the time for the new DSL pricing. TSI sent out an email blaming the CRTC ruling even though it only applied for DSL while TPIA still is on the existing non-aggregated pricing.

Thankfully, Rogers raised the speed after that and made the price increase a bit more tolerable.

You just wrote exactly what my response was going to be. The price increase was because of the ruling and had nothing to do with the speed tier upgrades....

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com

>The price increase was because of the ruling

That still make the claim that "there was no increase in price" false. The cause excuse is irrelevant to the event that increase did happen.

If you read my post carefully, TSI used CRTC rule as an excuse for raising the price on TPIA which at the time did not have an increase on cost on what they pay to the incumbent. TSI does not have to pay extra until TPIA goes to the aggregated model in 2013. Wanna bet that TSI won't increase their prices using the CRTC as an excuse again?

It was more like subsidy aka "rob Peter to pay Paul" to make the pricing more palatable for DSL users and Peter = Cable Users. The 10Mbps tier at the time had a crappy percentage increase in speed vs what the next tier was getting, but got an unfair higher increase in price. It was not until that fake CRTC excuse price increase for TPIA users when things was a bit more tolerable. If TSI had further increase their prices because of Rogers speed increase on TPIA retail without charging TSI more, there would have been a lot of cable users jumping ship to others.

Etobicoke, ON

2 edits
reply to bbiab

said by bbiab:

Could you clarify what these upgrades have been?

You're not able to read the first 4 words of what I said?

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Ott_Cable

said by Ott_Cable :

TSI did raised the price around the time for the new DSL pricing. TSI sent out an email blaming the CRTC ruling even though it only applied for DSL while TPIA still is on the existing non-aggregated pricing.

The ruling was for both DSL and cable and there was a price increase on the cable side too.

bbiab

2 edits
reply to 34764170

Or you could have just said bonding, if that is what you are referring to.

Etobicoke, ON

said by bbiab:

Or you could have just said bonding, if that is what you are referring to.

When I said upgrades I was referring to upgrading of the speed profiles to offer the faster upload speeds.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Gimli

said by Gimli:

and we all know that the 10 became 12 then 18 with no price dif.
The 18meg became 28, so where is the confusion?

I don't mean to be overly picky, but because there seems to be some.. discussion.. about these old changes. The correct sequence was:

Express started at 10mbit/s, then 12mbit/s, and then 18mbit/s

Extreme started at 15mbit/s (actually, their may have been a very brief time when it was less than that, 10 but with 1mbit upload, or something), then 24mbit/s, then 28mbit/s.
--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

The ruling was for both DSL and cable and there was a price increase on the cable side too.

Teksavvy has stated publicly that the cable price changes were not related to the ruling, but rather a correction that was in the works for some time.

I think the cable tariff in the ruling wasn't significantly more expensive than the previous cable tariff, or something?!
--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com

TSI is still on the old tariff that is due to expire in 2013 and there are certain Rogers retail options that are not available for it. The changes for the aggregated service will be more expensive especially if they want to keep "unlimited" than the current model, but will open up service for much larger Rogers area.

Even tough TSI finally admitted the price increase on DSLr was for other things, they had not sent out an additional email to clarify that. On the other hand, there is Start.ca that is already using that new tariff, so that sets the pricing levels should TSI decide to compete.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Teddy Boom

said by Teddy Boom:

Teksavvy has stated publicly that the cable price changes were not related to the ruling, but rather a correction that was in the works for some time.

I have never seen that. They better pray they don't have to increase prices when they move to the aggregated POI then.

join:2012-08-06
reply to Teddy Boom

interesting that TSI ignores the fact other ISP's are giving the upgrades automatically but they are not.

#TSIFail

BrianON

join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by 46666818:

interesting that TSI ignores the fact other ISP's are giving the upgrades automatically but they are not.

#TSIFail

TSI offers packages with larger and unlimited usage allowances while Rogers for example offers higher speed and tiny caps with high per GB overage fees. Which is better depends on your usage. For me TSI is *much* better since I use a lot but don't need much speed.

TekSavvy Lite Cable 3 (3mbs/256kbps, 300gb,bump to $40.95/unlimited if go over a lot) for $30.95
Rogers Lite Internet (6mbs/256kpbs, 20gb, $2/gb) for $38.49

Note that going over by 2GB, which is just under 23gb usage, on Rogers would make the plan cost more than TekSavvy unlimited.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1
reply to 46666818

This is not an upgrade.6mb is a new service not an upgrade and 3 is being retired.Rogers and TPIA customers are being grandfathered on 3mb. If you wish to see it in writing its on CRTC site,rogers tariff notice 24

chogo

join:2011-05-19
Ottawa

The notice is here:
»www.crtc.gc.ca/public/8740/2012/···0788.pdf

I'm not sure why this isn't a free upgrade as...

3. In Telecom Order CRTC 2012-435 (“TO 2012-435”), the Commission today granted interim approval to
Rogers TN 25, in which Rogers had proposed to introduce a 6 Mbps for disaggregated and aggregated POIs at the
same rates
at which Rogers’ 3 Mbps services for disaggregated and aggregated POIs are currently being offered.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

said by chogo:

The notice is here:
»www.crtc.gc.ca/public/8740/2012/···0788.pdf

I'm not sure why this isn't a free upgrade as...

3. In Telecom Order CRTC 2012-435 (“TO 2012-435”), the Commission today granted interim approval to
Rogers TN 25, in which Rogers had proposed to introduce a 6 Mbps for disaggregated and aggregated POIs at the
same rates
at which Rogers’ 3 Mbps services for disaggregated and aggregated POIs are currently being offered.

Taken from Tariff Notice 25....As you can see if you read the actual tariff, there are 2 tariff's listed. The 3mb and 6mb service, the 3mb as andyb had said is not being retired....just phased out and not being offered to new subscribers...

Also because of this:

b) Customer Transfer Charge - $15.98

If TSI were to make a change, they'd be charged this $15.98 for each and everyone one of their customers....so I'm guessing they're doing this as they're going to roll off of Disaggregated into the aggregated model as that's now 16 months on the horizon so its definitely on their radar in regards to migration....so no sense going through expense to make this change. If people call in to change I'm sure they can do that..

Also its not effective until Sept 21st anyways as per Rogers, so they wouldn't be able to make those changes till then anyways...