Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

Without a booster, I could not use my cell phones at home

Without this device (which does have built-in protection against interfering with AT&T's network according to the manufacturer *):

and this external antenna:

I would not be able to use my cell phones at home (I am talking about 0 signal strength bars and a No Signal display). AT&T in theory has a solution that they would sell me called the AT&T 3G MicroCell, but unfortunately that device requires a GPS connection, and GPS also does not work inside my apartment. The 3G MicroCell also requires that I give up bandwidth on my Internet connection which I do not like, but that alone would not be a deal killer.

* I ran into the cellular network interference protection when initially installing this system. Just about anywhere I tried to locate the repeater box inside my apartment, all I would get was a red alarm light indicating that it had detected interference and that it had shut itself down. The only spot that worked (which also turned out to be an ideal central location) was when the repeater box was shielded from its external antenna when located behind the aluminum HVAC ductwork. The areas "behind" the ductwork do not get as strong a signal as the areas "in front" of the ductwork, but at least there is a signal (as opposed to no signal from the cell tower).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

mworks

join:2006-06-13
Faison, NC

said by NetFixer:

Without this device (which does have built-in protection against interfering with AT&T's network according to the manufacturer *):

You are the kind of customer this technology is designed for. The problem is that if it becomes the common thing to do for everyone then you will have people that install it just because they only get 3 out of 4 bars.

It becomes very difficult to control signals like this when you have lots of these devices in a small area. We are doing trials in wilmington, nc for white space wireless that uses the frequencies that are not used for existing tv channels . The problem with these frequencies is they go very far , through trees, walls, whatever and that is a problem with wireless consumer devices. Think wifi channel congestion is a problem in apartments now ? Try using wireless when every home has a signal that can reach down the block easily.