Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI

[Rant] belkin product/support=meh

while i'm sure most of you that are any form tech savvy already know to avoid belkin, heres my rant

basically i have a belkin wireless usb adapter for my desktop,randomly been disconnecting me from the net......laptop, phone all stay connected fine.....so i hop on their online chat to see if it's a known issue, sure enough within 30seconds the person confirmed it's a known issue, i just need a replacement.....no talk of warranty yadda yadda, so basically some form of defect with the product, says to call in

So i call in, no issues getting approved for a replacement, so they say i have 2 options, 1 is send my old one back, and wait for them to receive and then send me a new one(basically my desktop would have no use for 2+weeks).......or give them my credit card information for them to send a new one out right away

Now you may wonder, that sounds like standard procedure.....which i'm sure it is............except this is a defect with the product since it was a known issue and they had no issue offering a replacement almost instantly AND you can't even buy the model anymore.....it's an older version, so if ANYTHING happens since it's all computer run, your CC will get charged for a product you can't even buy anymore, and has a known defect

wtf........so i call their customer support as suggested by the tech support supervisor i was speaking to, tier 1 guy just blows me off completely and won't even consider a supervisor

tried calling back assuming the first guy was just useless(which he was), second person says 'no supervisors available' and sets me up for a call back......and while who knows the callback may resolve everything, i really really doubt it

basically screw belkin, their products are mediocre anyways, save yourself the trouble and pay a little more for something else!

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
Look at it from their shoes also. People could call and get free adapters sent out and not return the old ones.

I would do the credit card option and make sure to use a credit card and not a debit card. that way if there is any need for a dispute it is super easy.

Otherwise bite the bullet and go buy a new adapter.

BKayrac
Premium
Madison, WI
said by Bamafan2277:

Look at it from their shoes also. People could call and get free adapters sent out and not return the old ones.

I would do the credit card option and make sure to use a credit card and not a debit card. that way if there is any need for a dispute it is super easy.

Otherwise bite the bullet and go buy a new adapter.

yeah normally it's a whatever situation, but man, you know the things defective.......you can't even buy the model anymore........who's gonna keep an older, broken model

either way unplugging/re-plugging in whenever it discon's until i decide what i wanna do :P

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show

join:2000-01-05
Quincy, MA
kudos:1
Well, unless I'm missing something in the translation, Belkin offered to send you a new unit. But they want a credit card in case you don't send the other back. Sounds logical to me.

As the dude pointed out above, you could be trying to pull a fast one. You claim that your present unit is defective, but Belkin couldn't know that w/o having it on hand.

That said, all I've ever bought from Belkin were cables & power strips (which have all been trouble-free). But I've been through similar warranty exchanges w/ other companies.

BKayrac
Premium
Madison, WI
said by Madness:

Well, unless I'm missing something in the translation, Belkin offered to send you a new unit. But they want a credit card in case you don't send the other back. Sounds logical to me.

As the dude pointed out above, you could be trying to pull a fast one. You claim that your present unit is defective, but Belkin couldn't know that w/o having it on hand.

That said, all I've ever bought from Belkin were cables & power strips (which have all been trouble-free). But I've been through similar warranty exchanges w/ other companies.

the model they want my CC for isn't sold anymore, so if it gets lost in the mail, or anything of the sort, i have to pay full retail for something i can't even actually buy anymore :P......and the reason they are willing to replace it, is because it is a known issue(confirmed by their tech support....literally the tech support guy said it was a known issue after 30sec in the chat), so my guess is, they know many of them are defective :P

edit: While i realize their method makes sense, in this specific circumstance am i crazy for thinking my logic makes sense? :P

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
kudos:1
said by BKayrac:

said by Madness:

the model they want my CC for isn't sold anymore, so if it gets lost in the mail, or anything of the sort, i have to pay full retail for something i can't even actually buy anymore :P......and the reason they are willing to replace it, is because it is a known issue(confirmed by their tech support....literally the tech support guy said it was a known issue after 30sec in the chat), so my guess is, they know many of them are defective :P

edit: While i realize their method makes sense, in this specific circumstance am i crazy for thinking my logic makes sense? :P

If the product they send you in the mail get lost, contact them. If they don't care, dispute the charge on your credit card.

If the product YOU sent them get lost, usually there are insurances and you should get your money back.