spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BusterBluth

join:2008-12-22

[Northeast] My NAT Type Keeps Changing From Open to Moderate

MY NAT type is erratically changing from open to moderate. Once it changes to moderate, resetting the router to factory settings puts it back to open. It's usually several days before it reverts back to moderate. I have my Xbox 360 in a DMZ. The Xbox has a static IP.

I am using the default Actiontec router (Rev. E). UPNP is enabled (automatic cleanup and allowing other users to control network features).

Any ideas why this is happening and what I can do to fix it? Thanks!

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2
maybe it's just a upnp failure, not sure why or what would cause it, but maybe you should just do the port forwarding and see if that sticks? remove it from the dmz first. »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Port Forwarding Instructions for the FiOS MI424 Router

inajeep4

join:2004-11-07
Sewell, NJ
reply to BusterBluth
I had similar problems over the course of a month or two. Turns out Verizon had some 'issues' that was never explained in detail to me. I called them after a outage during a storm, the agent said that they have been experiencing ongoing issues. When service was returned everything seemed to work better. They almost sent me out a router before the agent was informed by her manager of known issues. My guess DNS issues so routing was detoured.

I'm in NJ. Lately no issues.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
reply to BusterBluth
You shouldn't need the Xbox on a dmz or need to use port forwarding. You should only need to enable upnp in a decent router to have the NAT show open. With my Asus RTN56U I have no issue getting an open Nat with my three Xbox 360s. All I did was follow the ms instructions which said to turn on upnp.

DBLClick

join:2002-06-07
Manassas, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to BusterBluth
I've recently experienced this myself. My xbox changed from Open to Moderate and was inconsistant in staying open. My solution was to configure the box to be a Static IP address on the xbox. Then I open TCP/UDP 3074 and UDP 88 port forwarding to the IP address.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
said by DBLClick:

I've recently experienced this myself. My xbox changed from Open to Moderate and was inconsistant in staying open. My solution was to configure the box to be a Static IP address on the xbox. Then I open TCP/UDP 3074 and UDP 88 port forwarding to the IP address.

The problem with that solution is it only works with one Xbox. If you have other boxes you would need to change the port forwarding rule to match the other Xbox when you use it to get an open NAT.

DBLClick

join:2002-06-07
Manassas, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Only other solution is on the first router turn off the firewall. Connect a second firewall up to the first. The second one should be a SPN class router. The first one you allow the ports to be open the inner router is used to protect your computers.