spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

norton59

join:2012-08-10
Prattville, AL

Work From Home Concern

Hi everyone, I need some advice. My wife took a job from some work from home ad where she is having to make transfers between bank accounts. She is making pretty decent money but I am a bit concerned. The guy that hired her has a thick Russian sounding accent and he has been pretty rude to her when she was late with the transfers so that prompted me to start doing some research and it sounds like she may be involved in something illegal. When I asked her she said that everything seemed to be on the up and up. She filled out an application, a W-9 and even signed a non-disclosure agreement and mailed it off to the company. The funny thing is she doesn't get a check, she just transfers all of the money from the account numbers she is given to her account and wires all but 10% to the company's account. She says she isn't going to quit and I hate to force the issue because the money is really good, but I don't want her to go to jail. Am I off base on this? Should I be worried? Thanks in advance.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
You should darn well be worried. My advice is to immediately cease work and contact law enforcement. She will eventually be left holding the bag and get in some serious, serious trouble.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ
reply to norton59
Sounds like one of or both of two things.

Money laundering from from illegal gains or accounts into HER account and then transfering to another account to try and hide the funds.

Or it will go all is well for a while and then they will have her transfer a large amount of funds from accounts that don't exist or have very little money in them (that's why they want her to get used to doing it right away). And then guess what. when she transfers it out of her account and goes to the next account it will disappear and she will be held responsible for replacing the non existing funds.

A varaiant to this is that they will mail here several large checks and have her deposit those and then transfer to another account. The checks will bounce several days later and guess who pays up the real money?

The give away on this is depositing to her account. Any legit business would provide a company account for the transactions.
--
7000S SatMex 5 1050, Dlink wirless

norton59

join:2012-08-10
Prattville, AL
reply to norton59
So I just found out that she did get several large checks on Wednesday. One was for $16000 and the other was for $29000 and the same thing happened. She deposited them and transfered the 90%. She kept $1600 and $2900. Should we just withdraw what is remaining and close the accounts so that if they bounce they can't take the money back if this is indeed a scam? That would protect us wouldn't it?

djtim21
It's all good
Premium
join:2003-12-22
Lake Villa, IL
Umm, I would just hire a lawyer and figure out how to defend against some serious money laundering felony charges.

Your not the first one to report this, and I doubt you will be the last.
--
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” - Edmund Burke

hoyleysox
Premium
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA
reply to norton59
Sounds like a disaster. Wonder if the checks will bounce. The wife's income will be forfeited + penalty.
said by DC DSL:

My advice is to immediately cease work and contact law enforcement.

Agreed, but what law enforcement agency?

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
said by hoyleysox:

Agreed, but what law enforcement agency?

Take your pick. Start local and go all the way to the FBI.

to norton59, your wife is fully involved in a money laundering scheme. She needs to stop IMMEDIATELY.
said by norton59:

Should we just withdraw what is remaining and close the accounts so that if they bounce they can't take the money back if this is indeed a scam? That would protect us wouldn't it?

THIS IS INDEED A SCAM. 100%. withdrawing the money so they cant get it will only anger them, but in the end it wont protect you. Please, tell your wife to stop it immediately and contact the authorities. if the scammers get caught, you go down with them!!!

like it was mentioned earlier, you may want to lawyer up to try and protect yourself

the other concern I have is that these people have your wife's personal information to steal her identify. this could get very ugly
--
| map your city |

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
reply to norton59
just to satisfy my curiousity of sorts, who is this company? is she receiving checks in the mail, deposit them in HER account then wire the funds out?
--
| map your city |

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to norton59
I agree with the others.

Call law enforcement immediately -- either your local police or the FBI.

The sooner you call, the less likely that she will go to jail. She might be considered to be primarily a victim.

Don't shut down the account or withdraw anything until you have reported this to law enforcement. They might want to track down who else is involved in this, so might want it kept open for a while.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.1; firefox 14.0.1

tobicat
Premium
Tombstone, AZ
reply to norton59
Canceling the account will do you no good. If those checks bounce (which they most likely will) The bank is gonna want its money back. She is at fault for forwarding money before the checks clear. Fraud pure and simple.

You can't open an account put money in it with a bad check spend the money and then close the account and be off free.

She better be standing in the door of the bank on Monday when it opens and talk to who ever handles their fraud cases.

The bank ain't gonna think this is funny.
--

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to norton59
said by norton59:

Hi everyone, I need some advice. My wife took a job from some work from home ad where she is having to make transfers between bank accounts.

Your wife has put herself and you into a very serious legal position. You have a wife that is laundering money and is very naive it seems to have gotten into such a situation. You need to contact a very good lawyer and stop all money transfers and communications with these Scammers. Another bad thing is they know all about her (she voluntarily sent them all her personal details) and they can now after the fact steal her identity.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
said by Doctor Olds:

and they can now after the fact steal her identity.

if they havent already
--
| map your city |

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
I doubt they would, but they probably do have access to her accounts that shes using, so they can probably see when shes making the transfers. Seriously, I would call your local LEO NOW, and dont even tell her(well you should tell her, but if shes refusing to quit, shes a dumb, and naive. She will likely get no charges pressed against her unless she helps them figure out whos, hows, and whens. The sooner you get her to stop, and report it, the sooner you do that, the better off you both will be(you can be counted as an accessory to it). Also, because she is using her account, he is at risk of getting federal felony charges and prison time if she does not stop.

tobicat
Premium
Tombstone, AZ
reply to norton59
Update????????????????????????

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to norton59
sadly there is none looks like he watched the responses on the thread and has since not visited since. I hope he heeded teh warnings, but i'm betting not, unfortunately.
--
| map your city |

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by pcdebb:

sadly there is none looks like he watched the responses on the thread and has since not visited since. I hope he heeded teh warnings, but i'm betting not, unfortunately.

Agree 100% and they are likely going to run with the program until they are charged by local authorities.

said by norton59:

She says she isn't going to quit and I hate to force the issue because the money is really good,

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
I wonder if OP will come back and post a rant when the bank finds out the checks were no good and sinks them into epic overdraft land by debiting their account for the total of all the deposits? I can see it now: "[bank name] sucks! They're thieves! They had no right to do that! They can't turn around and say the checks were no good after they released the funds!"
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN

1 recommendation

I have had 3 different clients come to me asking about this type of scam. I do my best to explain what is going on, but all 3 of them still went with the "I'll just keep going, and if something happens I'll pretend I didn't know it was a scam"

It hasn't worked out well for any of them.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
Newp. The bank and law enforcement really don't give a crap how stupid or naive someone is. OP and his wife are in serious, serious trouble. Oh, to be a fly on the wall when the FBI shows up at their door...
--

tobicat
Premium
Tombstone, AZ
I really don't think law enforcement will be to concerned other than to file it away with all the others.
'
The bank on the other hand is going to demand their money back and don't care who they get it from the closest person will do.

And if they don't get it they will turn it over to the sorrest collection agency they can find and hound them forever.
--

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
Wrong. Going by the dollar amounts hinted at by the OP, this absolutely will be handed over to law enforcement once the bank realizes the checks were no good. That's the law and not up to the bank to ponder. The fools who tendered the checks will have their lives turned into a living hell for months, probably years. If LE doesn't resolve with restitution, then the bank can attempt to collect after the LE disposition.
--

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
Given the amounts involved, it is also likely the op will get to meet the IRS as well.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
He and his wife are epically screwed no matter what.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by DC DSL:

He and his wife are epically screwed no matter what.

If they have ignored the posted advice since the ill gotten gains are so good, they will only suffer from full exposure to the legal/financial penalties available for such charges like that of money laundering and check fraud, correct?
--

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to norton59
i've learned that when a person hears what they dont want to hear, they will avoid the conversation totally. that way they will feel oblivious to the situation and act as if they were unaware to begin with. this just isnt going to end good.
--
| map your city |

Umitencho

join:2012-08-11
Jacksonville, FL
reply to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

Given the amounts involved, it is also likely the op will get to meet the IRS as well.

The IRS don't mess around. They better pray the IRS doesn't get as much as a dust particle of this situation.

That, or he files for divorce.

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

If they have ignored the posted advice since the ill gotten gains are so good, they will only suffer from full exposure to the legal/financial penalties available for such charges like that of money laundering and check fraud, correct?

And identity theft since the wife filled out a W-9, giving the scammers her full name and SSN; they undoubtedly also have her DOB and sufficient other personal information to run up one hell of a big credit debt.
--

Umitencho

join:2012-08-11
Jacksonville, FL
Maybe Card Services of America can help them lower their debt. /sarcasm

DC DSL
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to Umitencho
said by Umitencho:

They better pray the IRS doesn't get as much as a dust particle of this situation.

I have a feeling they may already.
--