spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mclasser

join:2011-12-12

[VA] Stricter speed cap enforcement through channel bonding?

I just picked up a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and am happy to finally have access to bonded channels. Speed tests indicate my d/l speeds are locked exactly at the 20 Mbps (with Powerboost) advertised for my Preferred connection. I would often see 30 Mbps on my old 2.0 modem before it crapped out. Is it true speed caps can be better enforced when on bonded channels? Interestingly, my upload speeds have more than quadrupled to 14 Mbps with this new modem.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by mclasser:

I just picked up a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and am happy to finally have access to bonded channels. Speed tests indicate my d/l speeds are locked exactly at the 20 Mbps (with Powerboost) advertised for my Preferred connection. I would often see 30 Mbps on my old 2.0 modem before it crapped out. Is it true speed caps can be better enforced when on bonded channels? Interestingly, my upload speeds have more than quadrupled to 14 Mbps with this new modem.

Yes they are capping powerboost speeds on D3 modems. So far only downstream in at least the hampton roads. Powerboost will also be capped on the upstream in the near future. You will get maybe a couple extra mbps of powerboost, but no more of the crazy high 100+mbps on speedtest results. Still no real effect on you, as you will be able to max out the speed you pay for. Also you will still benefit from your D3 modem, with speeds staying steady. As you will be bonded to at least 4 downstream channels compared to the old D2 modem's on one channel with max of 38mbps of downstream bandwidth.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to mclasser

Without D3 I was usually getting better uploads but not always. They did occasionally suck. Now it just locks in at 20 and goes. Upstream I am loving until they enforce that also.

sniperboyz

join:2009-10-30
Portsmouth, VA
reply to mclasser

Same here at VA. I am getting 30 Mbps maximum but upload is still not capped. I am on dual wan to load balancing. I am getting stable with 50 Mbps from 30 Mbps and 20 Mbps on pfSense Firewall.