how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CaptainGhost

join:2012-08-10
New Orleans, LA

[LA] Large amount of internet droppage

I am on Cox Preferred, in New Orleans. My problem is that my computer constantly loses connection from the internet, despite there not being any change in the modem. When it works, it works great, and consistently gets speeds of up to 20 megabits. The problem is, it drops randomly, frequently, and without warning.

There are essentially three kind of drops.
1) All webpages stop responding, but my computer still believes it is connected to the internet (Network and Sharing still has a full "internet connection" displayed.) This is the least frequent type of drop.

2) Sudden disconnects. Essentially the same as above, except my computer recognizes that it lost internet connection. Usually it comes back in a few seconds-minutes. But anything internet related that I am doing will definitely get halted in its tracks.

3) Total drop. Extended downtime. Takes several minutes (5+) to come back, usually connects to a "different" connection when it finally does get restarted. (For instance, Network 11 might become Network 12 upon restart.)

The drops make internet usage very frustrating, as constantly weaving in and out of being connected makes anything requiring a constant connection impossible. Furthermore, even regularly browsing the internet has become a rather frustrating task.

I will say here that I am directly connected to the modem, there is no router at all, wireless or otherwise, involved. It is strictly modem-pc.

I have yet to contact Cox, but I would rather see if I can help myself on this one because this installation is new and I haven't heard the best stories about Cox tech support for this area.

Any suggestions and/or help would be much appreciated.

Downstream Channels
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 7.0 dBmV 36.5 dB
Channel 2: 7.0 dBmV 36.5 dB
Channel 3: 6.4 dBmV 35.6 dB
Channel 4: 6.4 dBmV 35.9 dB
Channel 5: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 6: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Upstream Channels
Power Level:
Channel 1: 41.7 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

LAHSIhelp

join:2010-07-12
Baton Rouge, LA

Please PM your Cable Modem MAC address and physical home address and I will check on this for you.