spc
Search similar:

uniqs
maikii
join:2012-08-08
Pacific Palisades, CA

maikii

[speed/latency] What Upload Speed should I be getting with 3mbps

Since I moved in April and had my Verizon 3mbps DSL moved there, besides sometimes getting no connection, I got much lower download speeds mostly around 1.5 mbps.

Many hours on the phone getting nowhere. Sometimes with the excuse that the contract only guarantees 1.1 mbps. (Yes, I know that DSL speeds fluctuate, and it is not guaranteed that one always gets 3mbps. But I think if that is what one is paying for, one should usually get something close to that. I never even came close to 2mbps. And sometimes yess-less than 1.)

I think I finally got it fixed today. I spoke to someone in business DSL support. He did something to my line, and I got nearly 3, like 2.85. He said though, that it might make my connection less stable, more intermittent, etc. (i think likely BS), and that he will call back to check on that Monday.

It occurs to me though, that the upload speed is no better than before--about .60-.70.

I forget though, what upload speed I am supposed to be getting, I look at the Verizon site, and they don't seem to advertise upload speeds any more, but only download.

Therefore, does anyone know--what upload speed is one supposed to get with the 3mbps download speed?

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

Re: [speed/latency] What Upload Speed should I be getting with 3

I can't speak for your area, but in FL the business packages are 1/384, 3/768, 5/768, 7/768, and 10-15/1.

If you're seeing upwards of .70 up, then you're likely on the 3/768 plan.

Why not browse to www.verizon.com/businessdsl and see what's available in your area?
maikii
join:2012-08-08
Pacific Palisades, CA

maikii

Well, my DSL is not really business, but residential. (It was only by getting to business DSL tech support though, that I finally got my download speed fixed, with the setting to Max. Verizon clearly has more respect for businesses than residential customers.)

However, it sounds like 768kbps is pretty standard as an upload speed. I don't really get that, but more often around 680kbps, not that far off.

I was just wondering, as I did not remember what my upload speed is supposed to be. And in its listing of residential plans, Verizon seems to only mention download speeds now, nothing at all re upload.

I read now in another thread here that Verizon is regularly setting the download speed of people paying for the 3mbps plan to 1792kbps, which results in about 1.5 mbps, about what I was getting. Then they can say that is in the range promised of 1.1-3.

That is really cynical customer-unfriendly service. If someone is paying for 3mbps, every attempt should be made to give them that speed, or close to it, as often as possible. They cannot guarantee that it will never be less than that, as there is fluctuation. So perhaps they should call the plan 2.5-3mbps. But saying 1.1-3, and then setting up the connections so that they know it will never even come close to 2, is fraudulent. Wasn't there a class action suit about Verizon not giving its promised speeds?
maikii

maikii to rebus9

to rebus9
Well, my DSL is not really business, but residential. (It was only by getting to business DSL tech support though, that I finally got my download speed fixed, with the setting to Max. Verizon clearly has more respect for businesses than residential customers.)

However, it sounds like 768kbps is pretty standard as an upload speed. I don't really get that, but more often around 680kbps, not that far off.

I was just wondering, as I did not remember what my upload speed is supposed to be. And in its listing of residential plans, Verizon seems to only mention download speeds now, nothing at all re upload.

I read now in another thread here that Verizon is regularly setting the download speed of people paying for the 3mbps plan to 1792kbps, which results in about 1.5 mbps, about what I was getting. Then they can say that is in the range promised of 1.1-3.

That is really cynical customer-unfriendly service. If someone is paying for 3mbps, every attempt should be made to give them that speed, or close to it, as often as possible. They cannot guarantee that it will never be less than that, as there is fluctuation. So perhaps they should call the plan 2.5-3mbps. But saying 1.1-3, and then setting up the connections so that they know it will never even come close to 2, is fraudulent. Wasn't there a class action suit about Verizon not giving its promised speeds?

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by maikii:

I have a lot of clients on business FIOS, and have found the VZ FIOS network-- and Verizon Business (AS701 transit) to be superb. My experience with their business DSL product has been lousy.

For both products, the customer support is HORRIBLE. When calling you get stuck in LONG hold queues, clueless reps who are nearly always ineffective, and a general stonewall of corporate indifference. Breaking through the red tape to reach higher tier support is nearly impossible unless you are very aggressive and assertive.

I'm suffereing with a DSL line for a client that was installed more than 2 weeks ago and it's still unuseable. Repeated calls to VZ have resulted in tickets opened that seem to go nowhere, failure to return calls when promised, and so far no resolution.

Even the VZ Direct forum here at DSLR is minimally responsive.

Contrast that with Brighthouse, who is the VZ competitor in the market I'm in. I do a lot of business with both Verizon and Brighthouse, and let me tell you, Brighthouse is superb. Phone calls reach humans who are empowered and responsive, follow-through on corporate issues is fast and reliable, and their people really do care.