All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
kb1
join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN

kb1 to turnerbrewer

to turnerbrewer

Re: [X1] Has X1 actually deployed in Atlanta?

said by turnerbrewer:

I just talked with another CSR in Atlanta, and he told me the same story. Comcast is only offering the X1 to "NEW" triple play customers. I also asked him if the X1 guide was going to be pushed to the RNG boxes, and he stated that Comcast does not plan on pushing the "New" guide to the RNG receivers.
I was told that I could have my name added to a waiting list and when the offer became available to current subscribers that the Comcast X1 team would contact me on a first come-first serve basis.

Here is a link stating that Comcast will take the X1 guide to existing RNG settop boxes.

»www.multichannel.com/art ··· _Too.php

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable

Check the comment from the author of the story, Jeff B. What i'm pointing to is the fact that someone could "upgrade" to get the new X1 box.

This also agrees with some insider information I had previously been given as well.
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by SeattleMatt:

»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable

Check the comment from the author of the story, Jeff B. What i'm pointing to is the fact that someone could "upgrade" to get the new X1 box.

This also agrees with some insider information I had previously been given as well.

Thank you for providing the link.

The comment that you referred to doesn't indicate that the X1 box is currently available for existing triple play customers. It uses "will charge" which can indicate a future time when Comcast makes the X1 box available to existing customers. This is the most likely meaning based on the previous posters comments and Comcast's press release for X1 in Boston that states that the X1 box is available for new triple play customers in the following excerpt:
quote:
These new products will launch in Boston with several major markets planned to follow this year, and will be available to new Xfinity Triple Play with HD/DVR service customers at no additional cost.

»www.comcast.com/About/Pr ··· RID=1186

turnerbrewer
join:2011-11-22

turnerbrewer

I called Comcast again this week and the CSR told me that the X1 platform is not available in my suburb of Atlanta, but it is available. Again, I was told that it is only available to "NEW" Triple Play customers subscribing to the "$199 & $139 plan".
Those are the two plans that she quoted. She then stated that the X1 box will be available this fall to current customer who subscribe to the two highest priced Triple Play packages.
I asked her if the X1 guide would be offered on any existing equipemnt and her reply was "No, that Comcast would only offer the X1 guide to Triple Play customers on the higher priced tiers.
If this is true the Comcast has lost my TV business. I am tired of the outdated guide when other competitors offer a better user interface. The channels that are piped thru the box are the same, but it is the user interface that makes the experience. Comcast update the guide! There is nothing "AWESOME" about Comcast. Ever wonder why they do not display their "Program Guide" during their commercials?
If you subscribed to Comcast then you would know why....
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by turnerbrewer:

I called Comcast again this week and the CSR told me that the X1 platform is not available in my suburb of Atlanta, but it is available. Again, I was told that it is only available to "NEW" Triple Play customers subscribing to the "$199 & $139 plan".
Those are the two plans that she quoted. She then stated that the X1 box will be available this fall to current customer who subscribe to the two highest priced Triple Play packages.
I asked her if the X1 guide would be offered on any existing equipemnt and her reply was "No, that Comcast would only offer the X1 guide to Triple Play customers on the higher priced tiers.
If this is true the Comcast has lost my TV business. I am tired of the outdated guide when other competitors offer a better user interface. The channels that are piped thru the box are the same, but it is the user interface that makes the experience. Comcast update the guide! There is nothing "AWESOME" about Comcast. Ever wonder why they do not display their "Program Guide" during their commercials?
If you subscribed to Comcast then you would know why....

The following quotes are from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog and state that the X1 Guide will be deployed on specific existing Cisco and Motorola equipment in 2013. Comcast has failed to meet some schedule dates so it probably will be longer in some markets. Notice how vague the wording is with the use of "some" in the second quote.
quote:
We continue to test and trial the new cloud-based X1 guide on our Cisco RNG cable boxes and the plan would be to deliver the X1 experience (On-Screen Guide 3.0) on the Cisco RNG 200N and the Cisco 150N cable boxes by the end of 2013.

»Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)
quote:
The newer Motorola DCX series of boxes in some markets are scheduled at some point in 2013 to get the new X1 guide (also knows as On-Screen Guide 3.0).

»Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)
turnerbrewer
join:2011-11-22

turnerbrewer

That is very reassuring....Comcast has no credibility...