Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

[Northeast] Quick question about my setup (pre-install)

I made this post a little while back after I realized Fios was live on my block. I made that in preparation for signing up for Fios when all of my "ducks were in a row". Two weeks ago, door-2-door Verizon sales came around, gave me a good price, were persistent, and I signed up. The install is coming in two weeks.

My questions were answered in my original post, but I feel I didn't explain my existing setup properly to fully get my questions answered regarding my specific setup. It's quite possible I'm dense; sometimes, this stuff confuses me.

I just want to make sure that when it comes the day of the install, I don't have to do any additional wiring. I don't want the technician doing any existing wiring either; if I need to do something, I'll do it ahead of time.

I made the following diagram which illustrates my existing setup that works perfectly for me. The goal I'm trying to attain is the solution for the Fios setup that makes the most sense, keeping in mind that I would like to use my own router, and not the ActionTec.

Briefly: I have two "home-run" coax lines from my existing cable provider coming from the street into my house, via my garage. Inside the garage, the two lines are joined to two different coax lines via some sort of couplers, not a splitter. One coax goes to the walk-in attic above my garage to a 4-way coax splitter which connect to all TVs. The other coax goes to my basement where my cable modem is, which is plugged into my router, which is connected to my patch panel. Several rooms in my home have wired ethernet which terminates at the patch panel.

The blue line in the diagram is cat5e cable I ran 4 years ago in preparation for Fios. It is currently connected to nothing on either end.

Do I need to do any additional wiring? If not, the technician can enable the WAN ethernet port on the ONT, connect that to my cat5e cable and run that to my own existing router? How would the TV's be connected given my existing setup? For some reason, I can't wrap around my head what needs to change from my existing configuration. I'm surely not looking to create work for me, and I want the installer to have the easiest job possible. With that said, I want a solution that is optimal.

Comments? Thanks in advance for dealing with my inability to get my brain around this.

--
He used to say that soul shine, is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain.

Debunking the 2012 hysteria. | Always looking for a new job | Begging the Wilpons to sell the Mets.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

It's not clear from your diagram where your existing phone line comes into the house. Into the garage, or into the basement? VZ will usually run the fiber along the same path as your existing phone drop. If you're getting FIOS phone, he want to make a connection from the ONT to the wiring in your existing NID.

If it comes into the garage, then that is where they will place the ONT. As far as wiring, you should be fine. The installer will disconnect the two cable runs from the street.
He will then connect a short cable from the ONT to a splitter. From that splitter, he will connect the coax to the attic and to the basement. Assuming you want the router in the basement, he will connect the Actiontec to that coax in the basement. Since the cat5 is already in place, you should be able to persuade him to provision your WAN connection over cat5 instead of coax.

Depending on how savvy you installer is about bridging, he may be okay with placing your router in front of the Actiontec. Or he may insist on placing the Actiontec as the primary. If he does insist on placing the Actiontec as primary, let him do so. You can switch the order of the routers after he leaves by following the FAQs.

If the installer places the ONT in the basement, then you really don't need the cat5 run to the garage.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

said by More Fiber:

It's not clear from your diagram where your existing phone line comes into the house. Into the garage, or into the basement? VZ will usually run the fiber along the same path as your existing phone drop. If you're getting FIOS phone, he want to make a connection from the ONT to the wiring in your existing NID.

Sorry, sometimes I forget about the phone lines. The NID is right outside of the garage where I expect the ONT to be put. For the purposes of this convo, it's right where the coax runs come into the garage. Right now, on my cable modem, I understand that lines are "back fed". Nothing is connected to the NID right now; my cable modem is only connected to an interior phone wall jack, which apparently backfeeds all of the other house phone jacks. I don't understand it, but that's what they tell me, and it works.

said by More Fiber:

As far as wiring, you should be fine. The installer will disconnect the two cable runs from the street.
He will then connect a short cable from the ONT to a splitter. From that splitter, he will connect the coax to the attic and to the basement. Assuming you want the router in the basement, he will connect the Actiontec to that coax in the basement. Since the cat5 is already in place, you should be able to persuade him to provision your WAN connection over cat5 instead of coax.

Thanks, that answers my questions exactly.

said by More Fiber:

Depending on how savvy you installer is about bridging, he may be okay with placing your router in front of the Actiontec. Or he may insist on placing the Actiontec as the primary. If he does insist on placing the Actiontec as primary, let him do so. You can switch the order of the routers after he leaves by following the FAQs.

That's OK. I want to make his job as easy and as smoothly as possible. I'll ask him how he'd like to do it, mention how I'd like it, and go from there. Not looking to create waves.

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply.
--
He used to say that soul shine, is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain.

Debunking the 2012 hysteria. | Always looking for a new job | Begging the Wilpons to sell the Mets.

NY Tel
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

So when is the big day?

Jeffrey
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

Two weeks. I have to put up some drywall and get an electrical outlet in the proper spot in the garage. Didn't expect to sign up for a bit, but the door-2-door sales guys were pretty aggressive with a good price. The savings for the first year alone from switching from cable just paid for a generator.

NY Tel
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

Ok well you have plenty of time. Did you get the 75X50 speed tier?

And I am jealous of your Generator....lol

Jeffrey
Premium
Long Island
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to More Fiber

Just want to say thank you for your help. The installer arrived on time, and only needed 3.5 hours to do the full install, because of the pre-work I had done after the help I received here.

You should have seen how happy he was when he rolled up to see everything I had done in a proper place. On top of being a nice guy, he thanked me for having done all of the pre-work inside - made his Friday.

One issue: My alarm wouldn't communicate to the central station after the change over from Cablevision to Fios. I don't understand it all, but apparently the cable modem backfed the lines bypassing the NID, and VZ uses the NID. The installer - really nice guy - gave me his cell number, told me to call him if it didn't work. Called the alarm company, they said "DONT LET THE VERIZON GUY LEAVE!!" I told them I had to let him leave because he has a life to live and other jobs to do. I scheduled an appt with the alarm company (@ $125/hr to fix the problem), but then I decided to "be a pest" and call my installer. He said no problem, showed up the next day (Saturday AM), fixed the problem in 30 mins and saved me $125 or. more. I asked for his boss's # who I will be calling tomorrow -- I had a week of horrendous service calls here, and the Verizon guy was the highlight of my week due to his professionalism and work-ethic.

The hardest part? Calling Cablevision to cancel services, getting told "any normal person would have called us to see what we could have done after 4 years of business." (I never called CV to inquire, on purpose. Fios is simply a better product.)

Thanks again for all of the technical help and for suggestions about how to mount the 3/4" board.

Job completed, 100% successful.

Bonus: My parents, who have had Fios since 2005, have slightly larger pieces inside. Room left on my 3/4" plywood for the transfer switch for my generator I need to install.

When he left, the last thing he did was "cap off" Cablevision's two home-runs to that splitter at the bottom left, and said "We have to respect their equipment too." A+.

outside

inside

--

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
Reviews:
·VoicePulse

said by Jeffrey:

Room left on my 3/4" plywood for the transfer switch for my generator I need to install.

I think you will find your plywood is too far away. I installed a Reliance Transfer Switch a few months back. Between my breaker box and transfer switch there is less than 10 inches. For my install I made both plywood bottoms level and came in the bottom of the panel. I think you will find most Trans switches only have a short piece of flex so you will need to get closer. I have the 8-circuit which looks exactly like this one, the a 10 circuit. The 8 and 10 are pretty much the same, the only difference is the 10 has two extra 20 amp circuits (two reds). The Amazon link has images so you could get a good idea of where it needs to be installed. I could post an image of mine if you need another view but either way you will need to get closer if you go with Reliance