Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX

What's going on with the PC gaming industry??

I can remember a time, and its been a while now, when there were lots of games I would buy. Now, I see one every now and then I want to buy. It is like a lot of the games coming out now are crap. Most of them get average or sub-average reviews. Is the PC gaming industry in that bad of shape? I really did not know.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Contrarily, most games get 9/10s or 8/10s from professional reviewers because they are bought and paid for. mmohut is just one of the most recent casualties.

I think it's just a case of gamers' standards becoming ridiculously high, then being shattered by a genuinely fun formula that breaks the rules (Minecraft, League of Legends, etc.). Notice those are not triple-A studio titles.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Sperkowitz
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Canyon Country, CA

1 recommendation

reply to atuarre
I think it's mostly due to the explosion of casual gaming on tablets and smartphones. There's a much bigger market of casual gamers and the cost of making these games are much less. There was a time when the only best way of using the internet was through a "real" computer, now most people get what they need through a smaller medium. Most people needed a computer mostly to use the internet. Now that need is gone.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

reply to atuarre
Really, unless you are one of those who looks for any signs of 'console port' on any new game (Even if they don't have them, although some are obvious), gaming has in a lot of ways never been better.

Of course, that requires people to take off the 'console games are killing everything' goggles..

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Whenever I feel down about bad ports, I play The Witcher 2, which went the other way around (made for PC, ported to Xbox 360 a year later). I finally finished my first playthrough and immediately started a second to take the alternate path (mage or alchemist style vs sword).
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to atuarre
I haven't seen a PC game that I felt the need to spend money on, in many years. Then again, I would have to own a PC that could run the game.
I went the way of the game console, because it seems it's "life cycle" is longer then the PC, hence cheaper in the long run.

Also from what I've been reading, smart phones and tablets have been killing the traditional game platforms [PCs and consoles, even handhelds]. I own a tablet, and to me the gaming experience is just ok. Mainly because I have yet to adpot to the idea of a "touch" control system for a first person shooter video game [I have 3 on my Ipad. Duke nuke 'em, Dead Space, N.O.V.A.] I'm used to using a game controller, be it a keyboard or a game pad to use such games.

Though if someone where to resurrect and build a modern versoin of Dnamix's flight sims : Red Baron, Aces over Europe, Aces of the Pacific. Then I would seriously go out and buy a new PC just to play them. They were, and have been the best flight combat sims I ever played. Heck even resurrecting and modernize Privateer, Wing commander series would get me going for a new PC.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
reply to atuarre
I believe over the last 15 years people's expectations for games has changed a lot.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to atuarre
And of course don't forget the big publishers rushing rehashed crap out the door and then nickle and diming with DLC and such released and included with the game (but you only get access if you pay extra)!

Time
Premium
join:2003-07-05
Irvine, CA

1 recommendation

said by Xioden:

And of course don't forget the big publishers rushing rehashed crap out the door and then nickle and diming with DLC and such released and included with the game (but you only get access if you pay extra)!

It's working.

In the case of Battlefield 3, I consider the DLCs to be worth every dime thus far.
--
"If it can't be done with brains, it can't be done with hours" - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
said by Time:

said by Xioden:

It's working.

In the case of Battlefield 3, I consider the DLCs to be worth every dime thus far.

That isn't what I'm talking about. Expansion pack DLC that actually adds a good amount to the game is fine. What I mean is if close combat had all the maps and weapons ready when it was released and included with the original BF3, but were restricted until later.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to atuarre
Like Hollywood, 95% of the new stuff coming out is just rehashed gameplay from earlier titles. The best thing a game can do to separate from the pack is to build a great story into the gameplay, but that requires talent.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to atuarre
Games are not as innovative as they once were. Look at doom quake and half life. Those were all good and all innovative in some way. New and fun if you will. Look at today. COD rules the roost and everything tries to copy it and it ends very badly most of the time. I'm not blaming consoles for this, but the xbox playing cawwadoodi frat bros most likely have a hand in it.

I guess console ports are part of it, by that I mean game/controls optimized for consoles and then poorly(control wise) ported to the pc and it makes for a bad time. Games like the witcher 2 that are made and optimized for the pc/pc controls are still great.

And the game devs have gotten crappy by and large. Diablo 3 for example, one of the execs said it get bad reviews from gamers because they were comparing it to diablo 2 and they remembered how good diablo 2 was wrong. Capcom canceled megaman. And someone at EA blamed the fans for TOR doing badly.

Hero

@telus.net
reply to footballdude
I dunno... I would say that many of the games now a days are crap... but occasionally there is a really good release.

I design games myself on a piece of software called Blender. There are quite a few good games made on Blender out there... though a few I probably just found good because my computer worked perfectly with it.

Nesse

join:2009-06-12
Naperville, IL
reply to atuarre
I dont really feel its strictly locked into the PC gaming market. As someone that spend a lot of time gaming over the years, going all the way back to the C64 and Atari days, I find myself struggling to find any games I want to play. Console or PC alike.

Im sure part of it is due to being older, and having a few different, and sometimes expensive hobbies. This leads me to try and be more selective on the titles that I pick out to play. Most always fall flat for me. Its been happening all too often in the gaming market lately. Leaving me more reluctant to buy another title. I dont want to drop 60 bucks for a game thats going to be crap.

Games just arent as fun as they used to be for me. Its hard to say if its just me, the quality of the games, or some combination of both. Finding any game that can hold my attention for longer than a month is proving to be quiet the challenge lately.

lt_wentoncha
Red6

join:2002-05-12
reply to Metatron2008
said by Metatron2008:

Really, unless you are one of those who looks for any signs of 'console port' on any new game (Even if they don't have them, although some are obvious), gaming has in a lot of ways never been better.

Of course, that requires people to take off the 'console games are killing everything' goggles..

Heh, the biggest pet-peeve or tell that I cannot absolutely stand is the "Press Enter" to begin the game. Give me the freaking menu, I'm not playing on a damn console.
--
Arrogant People Suck.
AMW
FBI's Most Wanted
Interpol's MW

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to atuarre
Let's not overlook the parts manufacturers sitting on the sidelines for the last couple of years. There's been no big rollouts or advancements in the home user PC market. Every single aspect of the PC gaming market - with a couple of exceptions - from parts to coders is all in a holding pattern. Why? That's another story and one we won't discuss here.