spc
Search similar:

uniqs

saultstemari
@shawcable.net

saultstemari

Anon

tp-link 2.4ghz Repeater

Will this repeater work with my shaw modem? I tried the 5ghz model and the manufacturer said it would not work with cable internet but to try this 2.4 ghz model and it would work. Because I am tired of returning stuff,, I havent tried this one yet and thought I would ask the pROS. FIRST.

WILL THIS WORK AS A WIRELESS REPERATER????

»www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/ ··· b302en02

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I don't think that product is a repeater,

I believe that is a 'modem' for wireless ISPs

This is a repeater,
»www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/ ··· 932ben02

Check for a WDS section in your Shaw modem's config page, I don't remember if it is in the Cisco or SMC interface.
scubascythan
join:2005-05-14

scubascythan

Can also buy any DD-WRT compatible router and load it that way to function as a repeater. Opens up choices and functionality of the router.

Not sure if you'd be interested though, it's not a 'buy it then plug it in and it works' sort of deal.
TekWest
join:2010-07-18
Edmonton, AB

TekWest to saultstemari

to saultstemari
This router can work as a repeater and it's cheap too ($24.49)!
»www.monoprice.com/produc ··· format=2

Look in the Knowledge Base tab for setup instructions...

saultstemari
@shawcable.net

saultstemari to kevinds

Anon

to kevinds
It connects through an poe injector, taking the wifi via a network cable signal from your shawmodem and repeating it up to 100 feet away.

I have seen the internal setup of the unit and it does offer to set it up as a repeater as well as a router. The only question is will it really work on the 2.4 ghz level of the shaw modem.

We need shawtechsupport to figure it out.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

If you are working with network cable,

Any WiFi router will do, or an Access Point is actually what you are looking for.

Any router - disable the DHCP server, set the IP to an availalbe on your network 192.168.1.2 - instead of .1 or check to see if the router as Access Point Mode, is this what you saw in the internal setup?

Set the WiFi settings to the same SSID as your main network with the same security, and you can set up to 100 meters of network cable away, not 100 feet.

A repeater - takes a wireless signal and repeats it.

You can have your 'new' Access Point in 2.4 or 5.8 or both if you desire.

saultstemari
@shawcable.net

saultstemari

Anon

well sure..but the poe injector lets you place the router far from an acoutlet ..like outdoors
scubascythan
join:2005-05-14

scubascythan

If you're going to hook up a long cat5 cable from your router to a POE injector to your router cause it's far from an outlet, I think it might just be cheaper to just buy an extension cord and a long cat5 cable. A POE is gonna cost the same as a decent router.

Either way, it defeats the purpose of being a wireless repeater. Kevinds is right. Any cheap router will be able to connect to a host router and set up a wireless network.

saultemari
@shawcable.net

saultemari

Anon

but the question was would the tplink work with shaw.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

No, I don't believe so,

That appears to be the modem, for a wireless-ISP.