spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wdsnls
join:2003-06-19
Palm City, FL

wdsnls

Sudden Channel Change

I had a strange occurrence happen this morning. I was watching the HD feed of Fox News Channel (428) and suddenly the screen went black and immediately came back on tuned to the SD feed of Fox News Channel (44). The TV is connected via HDMI to a Cisco RNG150 STB. I switched back using the last channel button and it went back to the HD feed. I am just curious what would cause this. No one was touching the remote!
psuPete
join:2010-08-09
Lemont, PA

psuPete

If it continues, replace your remote's batteries; then if it continues some more, replace the remote.

Pete
wdsnls
Palm City, FL

wdsnls

I thought I made it clear that I hadn't used the remote after I had turned on the TV and STB before this occured. I also rarely tune to an SD channel, since I only watch HD channels.

My own opinion is that there was something being done at the head-end of Comcast that caused this change in channels. It was strange that it changed to the same channel, only in SD.

This is not a major problem. The batteries are fine but I am just interested in why this would happen.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to wdsnls

MVM

to wdsnls
I'm a bit confused as to the RNG numbering, and am unsure if the RNG150 is SA or Motorola market.

I wonder if the SA versions are set up to backtrack to SD if the HD has problems? Sounds like a neat feature, to be honest.
wdsnls
Palm City, FL

1 edit

wdsnls

said by andyross:

I'm a bit confused as to the RNG numbering, and am unsure if the RNG150 is SA or Motorola market.

I wonder if the SA versions are set up to backtrack to SD if the HD has problems? Sounds like a neat feature, to be honest.

I'm in an SA market. We're using RNG100 (SD); RNG150 (HD) and RNG200 & RNG200N (HD-DVR) boxes. It does sound like great feature, if that what it is! It has only happened this one time. I did read somewhere that in a future upgrade to the software, there would a feature that if one tunes to an SD channel and there is an available HD channel on your account, it would advise you with a pop-up on the screen.
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6 to andyross

to andyross
said by andyross:

Comcast has created its own set-top box specification called RNG (Residential Network Gateway) with model numbers based on the capabilities of the box. Comcast has several companies (Motorola, Cisco, etc.) providing these boxes. When used with Tru2way software, the guide software is much closer. There may be current issues with security and encryption that prevent Comcast from using a Cisco RNG STB in a Motorola market and vice versa, but there are second source companies in some Comcast markets.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

That's what's confusing about using RNG if they use the same model number for both SA and Motorola. Is the underlying hardware actually the same and it's just some firmware or other difference, or can they work on both?
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by andyross:

That's what's confusing about using RNG if they use the same model number for both SA and Motorola. Is the underlying hardware actually the same and it's just some firmware or other difference, or can they work on both?

The underlying hardware is different. When describing a RNG set-top box, the name of the company that makes it should be included to identify exactly what is being described. Motorola builds the Motorola RNG STBs using Motorola patents and additional parts from other companies as needed, while Cisco buids the Cisco RNG STBs using Cisco patents and additional parts from other companies as needed. Both Motorola and Cisco RNG STBs confirm to Comcast's RNG standard.

I don't know the details, but I don't think they are interchangable because of security and encryption issues.

The Motorola RNG STBs use the A28 Guide and most of the Cisco RNG STBs use the S25 Guide ("soon" to be updated to the S26 Guide). The remaing Cisco RNG STBs (i.e. Cisco RNG 200-N with Any Room DVR functionality) use On-Screen Guide 2.0. In some Cisco areas the customer may be able to get On-Screen Guide 2.0 without Any Room DVR functionality.

Both Motorola and Cisco RNG STBs should eventually be updated with the X1 Guide (a.k.a. On-Screen Guide 3.0). This is Comcast's long term plan to have a common guide for both Motorola and Cisco cstomers on their RNG STBs, and will take years to accomplish. For customers without RNG STBs, Motorola wil still use the A28 Guide and for Cisco will use the S26 Guide. Both the X1 Guide and the On-Screen Guide 2.0 use Tru2way software.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to andyross

MVM

to andyross
said by andyross:

It's basically the same thing DirecTV did a few years ago. They decided to standardize the look of the equipment and outsource the builds to different manufactures. All HR24 DVR's look the same for example, but the HR24-200 is made by Samsung, whereas the HR24-500 is made by Humax.

H(r - if a DVR)-2x-(Manufacturer)
100 RCA
200 Samsung
300 Philips
400 Hughes
500 Humax
600 LG
700 Pace

Overall its a good idea because they can source more equipment because more manufacturers are able to produce them according to the specifications. In the end to the customer it looks the same and functions the same regardless of who made it.