uniqs
point125
join:2012-08-06

point125 to beachintech

to beachintech

Re: [Connectivity] "not servicable" despite trunk line

said by beachintech:

said by point125:

Like I said, they aren't interested in helping, aren't they legally required under most franchise agreements to make a connection so long as it's X number of feet from the public utility polls?

How does anyone build a house setback more than 100 feet from the road if the cable company can basically say F you any time they want.

You make arrangements \ do research BEFORE you buy the property and build a house there if cable is something you require.

What exactly do you think I'm doing?... I thought it was sort of clear that's exactly what I'm doing. But it seems ridiculous that any house more than a few hundred feet from the utility poles could be cut off anytime the cable company felt like it.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by point125:

But it seems ridiculous that any house more than a few hundred feet from the utility poles could be cut off anytime the cable company felt like it.

No they can't. That's why comcast goes through this process, right now they have told you "we are NOT legally obligated to serve your home" and "we will calculate the cost of putting a drop in" But once they return that bid, if you accept and return it with the proper payment and forms (ROW, etc.) they then ARE obligated to build, and maintain a drop FOREVER.
Most of the time when a cul-d-sac or other property is bypassed it is due to one of the specific "NOT SERVICABLE" exemptions in the Franchise or or state utility regulations. (usually RoW or setback issues)

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to point125

Premium Member

to point125
said by point125:

.. it seems ridiculous that any house more than a few hundred feet from the utility poles could be cut off anytime the cable company felt like it.

Beyond a couple hundred feet the cable company HAS to install additional signal amplification equipment which needs power and access for regular maintenance. It's not just a "feeling" the cable company has, it's physics they have to obey.

Not everybody wants cable or the equipment on their property.

If it's a line passing through to feed OTHER customers, it's a totally different situation that involves utility easement permits that overrule individual landowner rights to a certain degree.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to point125

Premium Member

to point125
said by point125:

said by beachintech:

said by point125:

Like I said, they aren't interested in helping, aren't they legally required under most franchise agreements to make a connection so long as it's X number of feet from the public utility polls?

How does anyone build a house setback more than 100 feet from the road if the cable company can basically say F you any time they want.

You make arrangements \ do research BEFORE you buy the property and build a house there if cable is something you require.

What exactly do you think I'm doing?... I thought it was sort of clear that's exactly what I'm doing. But it seems ridiculous that any house more than a few hundred feet from the utility poles could be cut off anytime the cable company felt like it.

Not at all - you made it sound like you own and live in the house already.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44 to point125

Premium Member

to point125
I also thought you owned the house. When you dont own the house it opens up a new can of worms. You need to enter into a agreement of sale and make it contingent on being able to have cable installed to the house before it goes anywhere. I just started one this week that was 2000 feet from the road with just that scenario. We were able to cut it down to 1150 feet by securing a ROW from the neighbor at the price of a years free cable. We installed conduit thru the ROW and will finish the buildout after closing. It cut the price down pretty much and cant be completed until after closing. My main point is other factors come into play. the cable company i work for was able to guarantee a price once the ROW was secured and the conduit installed. So the potential buyer was able to just pay that part until closing takes place. Personnaly if cable was a priority of mine i would just move on to the next house.
point125

point125 to beachintech

to beachintech
said by beachintech:

Not at all - you made it sound like you own and live in the house already.

I thought saying "a house I would like to move to" would indicate pretty well that I don't own it, but w/e.
said by rody_44:

When you dont own the house it opens up a new can of worms. You need to enter into a agreement of sale and make it contingent on being able to have cable installed to the house before it goes anywhere.

Wasn't an option, sellers wouldn't agree to contingency.

Anyway, I got an estimate of about $3k for the 1k foot run under ground. Relieved since I was preparing for much worse, but still a fortune when you shift back to the perspective of a normal view.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Who did you get that estimate off of? I hope it was comcast. You wouldnt be the first person that paid someone to run cable only to find out its unusable. 3 dollars a foot for cable to be run underground is way to cheap. Makes sense if it was actually comcast since they usually eat the first 3thousand dollars in expense.
point125

point125

Yes it was comcast.