Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast

Network Upgrade

Ok so I decided to get rid of most of the high power devices on my network...

So I went from this:

To this:

From left to right

Dlink NAS DNS-323 = Backups, headless torrent client, media server.
Buffalo HD External Raid 1 System = Backups, File storage for Raspberry Pi
Raspberry Pi Model B = Running apache, mysql, icinga, gallery, nut, NX, ssh gateway
Mini-iTX Atom Base Server = pfsense 2.0.1 Firewall
Alix 3D2 = Asterisk PBX Server
MV-370 GSM Gateway.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
High power being relative in this case.

IhatemyISP
MM1 Corbski
Premium
join:2003-01-27
Hampton, VA
reply to XCOM
What are you using your Pi for?

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
said by IhatemyISP:

What are you using your Pi for?

I am using it as a server.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
I thought about getting a raspberry pi to tinker with, but when I checked the leadtime was several months

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
I think I'll get one after it comes with a case.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
You can buy the case separate from Adafruit.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
reply to XCOM
In terms of power usage what kinda of decrease did you actually? Did you use a Kill-A-Watt meter at all?

Whats with the new orange Ethernet cables? Cat5e to Cat6?

Thanks for posting the update, as always it looks pretty clean!

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
c2roth,

Thanks for the complements.
Technically I was not looking to decrease the actual electrical load consumption but to decrease the actual heat been produced by the devices. I can actually lock my closet and not worry about heat... and keep my kids away from the closet
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by XCOM:

c2roth,

Technically I was not looking to decrease the actual electrical load consumption but to decrease the actual heat been produced by the devices. I can actually lock my closet and not worry about heat... and keep my kids away from the closet

Well considering decreasing the electricity usage on CPU alone would net you that heat decrease I'd say you've accomplished both very well. I was just curious if you had any nice metrics to share. Good data is always hard to come by. I have a Kill-A-Watt meter at the wall in my office and everything on/under my desk goes through it for tracking purposes.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
said by creed3020:

said by XCOM:

c2roth,

Well considering decreasing the electricity usage on CPU alone would net you that heat decrease I'd say you've accomplished both very well. I was just curious if you had any nice metrics to share. Good data is always hard to come by. I have a Kill-A-Watt meter at the wall in my office and everything on/under my desk goes through it for tracking purposes.

I been thinking of buying a Flusko meter »www.flukso.net/ to track everything around my house... Just have not had a chance to research to see if it works in the US.... I am looking in to ZigBee right now as my smart meter has a ZigBee radio...
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

imanon

@comcast.net
I prefer the Knut: »www.kickstarter.com/projects/520···onnected
to Flusko

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
said by imanon :

I prefer the Knut: »www.kickstarter.com/projects/520···onnected
to Flusko

Still a bit premature but is a cool idea. Will look in to it on the future.

Thanks!
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
reply to creed3020
said by creed3020:

said by XCOM:

c2roth,

Well doing a bit of follow up... Now I have numbers. I installed a flukso device and setup the FluksoViz with it. I am tracking usage as we speak. This is a nice little device.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$