uniqs
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

questions about billing

Ok, so my local trusted shop got sold to new owners. Took my wifes car in for inspection and service. It seems im either out of touch with the times or i was just plain rippd off. Could you guys help me with which one it is. total bill was 326.14 for inspection and service. I specifically asked to get the cabin and air filters replaced. Most of the prices seem fair But regarding the cabin and air filter there is a charge of 75.00 for checking cabin and air filters and a charge of 15.00 to replace the air filter and 37.50 to replace the cabin filter. Does this sound correct to you guys?

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester

Premium Member

Seems quite steep to me. We don't normally charge labor to check or replace cabin or engine air filters. The only times we charge to replace cabin air filters is on some Honda vehicles where they are kind of a pain due to the trim panels that need to be removed.

grendal
Mmm Donuts
Premium Member
join:2001-10-10
San Jose, CA

grendal to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
part costs for air/cabin filters seems about right but $75 to check/replace filters though standard is more than what I would pay for. They are charging you the book rate for that service but most places I've been to would have waived the labor for that if you do minor/major maintenance since it literally takes only minutes to do. Ripped off? No, they are charging std rate. Nickel and diming you? Yes, they are itemizing labor for each service.

Whenever I do maintenance at a shop (30k/60k/etc), I do the air filters myself since it's dead simple to do anyways.
grendal

grendal to TheHarvester

Premium Member

to TheHarvester
said by TheHarvester:

The only times we charge to replace cabin air filters is on some Honda vehicles where they are kind of a pain due to the trim panels that need to be removed.

Very true for older Hondas. However, once the trim is removed initially, subsequent replacement of cabin air filters should be only minutes.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to grendal

Premium Member

to grendal
it wasnt parts cost. they were another 28 and 26 dollars. The prices were labor.

grendal
Mmm Donuts
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

grendal to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
wow, I misread that. That's bit insane labor prices.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Takes about 5 minutes total to change a air filter
$15 x 12(5 minutes) = $180 an hour labor!
Here mechanics get $75 an hour!
Find a new mechanic, FAST!

grendal
Mmm Donuts
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

1 edit

grendal to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Actually, if the OP's wife was driving an exotic car, maybe the labor prices isn't so ridiculous after all... :P

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester to grendal

Premium Member

to grendal
Even after removing the piece that needs to be cut out, on some, there is a metal bracket that is bolted in. Some have the bolts behind the side trim panel and the center console and to do it properly, takes more than a couple minutes..

grendal
Mmm Donuts
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

grendal

Premium Member

said by TheHarvester:

Even after removing the piece that needs to be cut out, on some, there is a metal bracket that is bolted in. Some have the bolts behind the side trim panel and the center console and to do it properly, takes more than a couple minutes..

I never did understand why Honda made it so damn impossible to replace the cabin filters in older models. My 2006 odyssey is a breeze to change.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Its a toyota corolla and im on my way to have a talk with them.
rody_44

1 recommendation

rody_44

Premium Member

Ok im back and 79.20 richer. (75+4.20 in tax).
He said it was computer error and was real quick to credit the 75 back. Claimed the computer automatically charged 75 dollars for one hour because check the air and cabin filter was listed. Since they have my favorite mechanic im going to continue to use them. But from here on out i will be watching billing very closely. We all know how them pesky computers make mistakes resulting in costing customers money. LOL
rody_44

rody_44

Premium Member

Oh yea, Thanks Guys. Probably would have just took it on the chin had i not had anyone to ask.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Glad to hear things worked out for you!
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
To keep any shop more honest, get the cost before you have the work done.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Good to hear.

What year Corolla? I have a 2003 and the cabin air filter is less than 5 minutes to install and that is including the time it takes to get it out of the box.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to rody_44

to rody_44
Subaru dealer wants $75 to change the cabin air filter and $75 to change the engine one. Bought a supply of both filters on Amazon for about $9 each and will gladly do it myself.

At least they acknowledge my car has one... the Suzuki I used to have, the dealer didn't even know it had a cabin one. Found it myself after some research.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
sounds like he tried to charge for blinker fluid and didnt think you'd notice

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to grendal

MVM

to grendal
said by grendal:

I never did understand why Honda made it so damn impossible to replace the cabin filters in older models. My 2006 odyssey is a breeze to change.

While not particularly difficult, the first steps for my 2007 Accord was 1. Empty glovebox and 2. Remove glovebox. Really? You expect grandma to remove the glovebox?

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by cdru:

Really? You expect grandma to remove the glovebox?

Who expects grandma to do anything more than vacuum the carpets in the car?

grendal
Mmm Donuts
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

grendal

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

said by cdru:

Really? You expect grandma to remove the glovebox?

Who expects grandma to do anything more than vacuum the carpets in the car?

isn't that what grandkids are for?
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44 to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
It was a 2010 corolla. the time listed was .5 so i take that as a half hour. Underneath im pretty sure he he was banking on me not noticing the charge. Not a good start. Its the wifes car and she informed me last night from here on out the car is going to the dealer. Who knows maybe she will change her mind. (i doubt it tho). Either way i dont care as im not sure i want to deal with a place i have to worry about them bending me over. At least a dealer has the courtesy of asking you to bend over.