how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cb1112

join:2012-08-11
Chantilly, VA

How to pick a vpn company?

I use Fios and want to connect via a vpn. I tried using StrongVPN and they greatly reduced my speeds (68 Mb download loss). I was wondering if there is anything I need to know about my ISP and using a vpn and if anyone knows of a good company that works well with Fios.

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

You'll probably take a performance hit regardless of which VPN provider you use. I don't think any of them offer more than a couple of mb/s throughput.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:16
reply to cb1112

First clarify WHY you want a VPN? Remote access to home devices? Defeat censorship? etc.

Once we know that I think we'll be able to help you better.

Also as a general rule, VPN can and will drop your throughput speeds.

Regards

johnnytucats

join:2009-03-11
Baltimore, MD

1 edit

I use ivpn.net, which works well and has many good attributes. But, yes, it slows things down a bit depending on your selected connection point.

csiemers

join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by johnnytucats:

I use ivpn.net, which works well and has many good attributes. But, yes, it slows things down a bit depending on your selected connection point.

How about just a plain link without the affiliate parameter?
»www.ivpn.net
--
»www.caryontech.com

cephoe

join:2012-11-20
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to cb1112

It does depend on how far away your are from the VPN server. I've found that the more popular VPNs like HMA (Hide My Ass) tend to be slower, whereas smaller ones like Private Internet Access and TorGuard have good speeds (e.g. 1-2 Mbps per second).
--
Markus James
Editor of GreyCoder.Com

cephoe

join:2012-11-20
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to csiemers

It really depends on your VPN needs, see my article »greycoder.com/the-best-vpn-services-of-2012/, where I separate the best VPNs for different user requirements.

Expand your moderator at work