Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Do it

@videotron.ca
reply to Ott_Cable

Re: Trail of Pierre Poutine leads to open Wi-Fi connection

said by Ott_Cable :

So claiming a "proxy" can fake an IP still does not explain how the person can use it to communicate correctly.

It works.
I suggest you learn it and try it. I can point you to some thing but that would likely just get this post deleted, so I won't.

Once you do learn, you will then do a 360 and slap your forehead.

Then you will become addicted to proxies and your interest will increase and then you will become evil once you have your own pool of 1000 IP's for your personal use to play with.

I get the feeling "funny" has been down this road

Le Sigh

@videotron.ca
reply to Ott_Cable

said by Ott_Cable :

So claiming a "proxy" can fake an IP still does not explain how the person can use it to communicate correctly.

I can't believe I'm googling for you, but any and all protocols will go through the spoofed address in either direction.

»www.google.ca/search?q=what+are+···HihYGYCg

»www.google.ca/search?q=what+is+a···H3noGgAg

»www.google.ca/search?q=what+is+a···GZvYC4Dw

You can search more on your own. Use your imagination. People have only been doing this since the mid 90's.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to milnoc

Man! All this pointless bickering between anonymous posters! It's like being in an argument with thirteen year old script kiddies!
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

Expand your moderator at work

wowzerss

@videotron.ca
reply to Ott_Cable

Re: Trail of Pierre Poutine leads to open Wi-Fi connection

said by Ott_Cable :

I can fake give away a phone# and change CID on my VoIP all I want, but if I want to get a call from someone else then the phone # I give out better be able to reach my phone. Same problem with the IP address except every single reply packets would have the other side ringing your number.

You can spoof the orginating IP address of a packet very easily, but don't expect to be able to run any regular internal protocols without having the ack/handshaking packets coming back to you. The rest of the internet have to be able to route that reply somehow. So claiming a "proxy" can fake an IP still does not explain how the person can use it to communicate correctly.

Don't forget you have a port(s) open for this.

You can run *any* protocol and *any* service.

said by Ott_Cable :

Why can't it be as simple as a drive-by with a high gain wifi antenna (e.g. pringles can one) or even someone living in the same building stealing WiFi for accessing/uploading to the robocaller service?

A high gain Pringles can? I really, really doubt that. Besides that would require 5 (or 6) different people running around to the other side of Guelph with an empty Pringles can. heh (had a mental image of this, made me giggle). Though the person above claims to have reach Taiwan or something with a pringles can...

There are some people in this forum who have really high gain stuff that they can wire to that residential Rogers 99-ip. But it would have to be up on a tower, be in line of sight, and cause brain cancer with the power it would pump out to be able to reach the 80-km away and then the people would have to take the tower down w/ no one noticing so that the investigators wouldn't find out.

Seem plausible to you? Does it really require Myth Busters to solve? Is it even cost effective (never mind the labour)?

I wonder if Milnoc still thinks this can't be done?

Now does anyone see the issue with the investigator scratching his head when asked in court how it could be done?

Does it seem like someone is playing dumb?

I hate anon

@videotron.ca
reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

Man! All this pointless bickering between anonymous posters! It's like being in an argument with thirteen year old script kiddies!

F'ing Anon. I'm going to ignore them from now on.

Ahem

@videotron.ca
reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

Also... I don't mean to be rude, but...
said by milnoc:

said by hm :

What makes them think it was via WiFi? What caused them to come to that conclusion?

*Sigh* Doesn't anyone READ anymore?

Seems to me a 13 year old would put you in your place with how the internet works, and with being able to *read*.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to wowzerss

said by wowzerss :

I wonder if Milnoc still thinks this can't be done?

I'm not saying it can't be done. Proxy or Wi-Fi wardriving, both will work. But the wardriving solution is the simplest one available that can ensure the best anonymity with minimal intervention. It requires very little set-up (change your network name and MAC address, activate private browsing) and can easily be accomplished from inside a parked car.

Setting someone up with a Trojan proxy server however can be a bit more complicated to pull off, especially for a campaign worker. And there's always the risk of accidentally infecting the campaign headquarters' network itself if you don't know what you're doing.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to wowzerss

>Don't forget you have a port(s) open for this.

You are confusing how a firewall works vs how IP traffics are routed out in the cloud. The returning packets still needs to be routed by routers at the transit/peering. IP traffics might take different routes to/from your destination, so the 2 direction of traffic flow are 2 set of IP routes.

»think-like-a-computer.com/2011/0···routing/
>When packets take a certain route to their destination they DO NOT have to take the same route back. I can’t stress this enough, packets DO NOT record the route they take.

A proxy server actually have to own the IP address(es) that it claims to have, but it lends it to a user so that it would appears that the traffic came from the server itself. It is not a magical box that send and receive IP packets from the internet cloud without using real IP addresses. Without using real routable IP addresses to the outside world, the return packet would not get back to the proxy server.

Now if the router/PC on the other side did get infected and get a proxy installed and the election office bounces traffic to it to access the robocall, then the election office would appear to have the same address. It is so much easier to use/crack a WiFi or buy a burner wireless sticks than using an infect host as there are always traces of the hidden proxy left behind to be discovered.