Search similar:

uniqs

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

Required to call Comcast when buying own modem?

Hello,

When switching from a Comcast-owned modem to a customer-owned modem, is it necessary to first call Comcast and give them the new MAC address? I have tried two different modems and neither will sync (both Arris WBM760). Get the downstream and upstream lights, but the online light just blinks incessantly.

I figured the new modem would sync and I'd be presented with an authentication screen much like using the self-install kit.

thanks
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND

travelguy

The new modem should sync with no problem and then direct any web addresses to the walled garden until you activate or call in. Are you trying to run your new modem simultaneously on the same drop as the old one?

pike
Premium Member
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

That's what I thought.

No sir, it's the first and only thing on the drop (no CATV service). I've been a bit busy today, but when I was playing with the first WBM760, I took a look at the event logger and was seeing these entries repeated:

1/1/1970 0:29 82000200 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=00:15:d1:bc:ff:32;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:23:f3:84;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
1/1/1970 0:30 68000301 3 DHCP FAILED - Critical field invalid in response;CM-MAC=00:15:d1:bc:ff:32;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:23:f3:84;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Levels: downstream power 6.47, SNR 37.64; upstream power 42.75

thanks

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to pike

Premium Member

to pike
When I purchased my new Motorola SB6121 and replaced my old SB5100, it took about 15 minutes for it to give me the walled garden interface website in order to input my account information and authenticate ... lots of flashing lights and retrys before it came up.

Make sure you do NOT have the new modem hooked up through any existing router ... you must hook it up directly to your computer for the initial activation. After you get it up & running, then you can incorporate your router if need be.

AnonMan
@mycingular.net

AnonMan

Anon

I used the walled garden once, it worked (found had to close browser and restart and also of course restart router).

What I later learned is the walled garden did NOT update all of the comcast systems with the mac, only one of them as everytime I went to office or called it thought I had no internet service though I did. Turned out another system was missing it even though it worked.

Today I had to change my modem again as other one got hit over cable line by surge (thanks comcast!).... I called this time and the guy asked for mac and oddly asked for the customer owned s/n of the modem even...

I also learned that if you use IPv6, walled garden does not stop that, I was able to browse over IPv6 to IPv6 sites before I activated haha. so google, youtube www.yahoo.com etc all worked, was when I hit ipv4 site it prompted for act number and I finally called lol.

Nice security comcast, free internet for IPv6 people whom dont have service that means...

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

1 recommendation

Wayne99021 to pike

Premium Member

to pike
I tried the wall garden route twice and never could get it to go through.
I have done several modems swaps with Comcast and find it to much easier to call Comcast, give them the MAC address and your up and running in about 10 minutes.

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

1 edit

Ripper to pike

Premium Member

to pike
Just hook up the modem, open your browser and you will go to walled garden,enter info, takes about 10 min.You can only go this route if you have a account number already,as you will have to enter it.Also I had to use Internet Explorer, Firefox would not work.
polarisdb
join:2004-07-12
USA

polarisdb to pike

to pike
I've always owned my own modem and have done the walled garden thing twice. Unfortunately, both times comcast has magically changed it to be a leased modem and I had to call anyway to get that cleared up. Next time I get a new modem I will be calling them to avoid dealing with the resulting billing issues.

mike34
Premium Member
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
Netgear CM500V
Asus RT-AC68

mike34 to newview

Premium Member

to newview
said by newview:

Make sure you do NOT have the new modem hooked up through any existing router ... you must hook it up directly to your computer for the initial activation. After you get it up & running, then you can incorporate your router if need be.

I don't think that's necessary any more. The last half dozen or so validations I have done for myself, friends, or ex-clients from another (younger) life have been with all network devices connected in the desired final configuration, through the walled garden.

I have even done it with a wireless connection to a Linksys router since there were no wired computers on the premesis.

It's been at least 5 years since I used a direct computer to modem hookup to get a new modem, or new service, authenticated.

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr

Anon

The modem will likely need a firmware upgrade if you see both the DS and US lights blinking while the online light is solid, its a firmware upgrade and you simply have to wait until its done. There is no way they can know which cmts your region has and make sure that firmware is loaded, so if you just bought it, you should expect this. In addition, if you bought a D3 modem and are in a D3 area, extra time will be required as it negotiates bonding. Furthermore, any loose fittings in your house from half arsed tv installs can interfere with the modem signal and yes you have to call and register it before its allowed to actually be on the internet, otherwise everyone would just buy a modem and claim they were not using HSI. The world of digital thieves we live with would love that to be the case but its not.

As to routers its 50/50 some will work fine without assigning a DNS entry others will simply do nothing but 404 out or assign themselves as the DNS and not pass the data on becasue they ere ne4ver given one that is valid. Also if you assign manual DNS entries to your comp, it will not show up. DNS cache from old connections can also interfere occasionally, not often but once in a while a /flsuhdns or repair connection will fix it.

The time entries in the OP show he has not synced in yet, 1970, clearly it has not gotten its time/data data from the cmts.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

said by flwpwr :

yes you have to call and register it before its allowed to actually be on the internet, otherwise everyone would just buy a modem and claim they were not using HSI. The world of digital thieves we live with would love that to be the case but its not.

You misunderstood the comment. Yes, you do need to activate the CM before it can be used. You do not always have to "call" Comcast to do this. Attempting to bring up a web page with an unregistered modem typically redirects to a "walled garden" page that takes you through the registration process without calling Comcast.

That's another way of saying the MAC ID of the modem has to be associated with a Comcast account. I've also heard that in some areas, even when registered, use of the CM is limited to specific neighborhoods.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to pike

Premium Member

to pike
I just activated a new, owned modem on a new account (had TV for years but no HSI) and got the walled garden. Since this account is my grandfathers I didn't know the account number (had all other available data) and he had already paid the bill and thrown it away (along with no access to login and see the account info yet), I ended up calling in to activate.

I mentioned to the rep on the phone I tried to do it online but was missing the account number and she responded by saying "Oh it doesn't matter, the walled garden would have had you call in anyway". I don't know if this was due to it being a new account or not though so take it for what it's worth.

pike
Premium Member
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

Just to clarify, the modem won't sync - so I can't even get to the walled garden. The "online" light never goes solid, just the us and ds lights. I was able to activate the original Comcast owned modem through the walled garden. The Comcast owned modem syncs and connects reliably, but when I swap it with the Arris, no sync- regardless of whether or not I plug anything in to the LAN port. It shouldn't require a device connected to the LAN port to sync, but just for s&gs I did plug my laptop directly in to it. Let the modem attempt to sync for over 30 mins, still no "online" light. Swap the Comcast modem back it and syncs instantly.
RokHed
join:2000-09-09
Pennsville, NJ

RokHed

Did I miss where ya called them to register the new modem? If not. just call and be done with it. You coulda been online 3 days ago. Or at least know if the modem (s) are bad.

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr to pike

Anon

to pike
said by pike:

Just to clarify, the modem won't sync - so I can't even get to the walled garden. The "online" light never goes solid, just the us and ds lights. I was able to activate the original Comcast owned modem through the walled garden. The Comcast owned modem syncs and connects reliably, but when I swap it with the Arris, no sync- regardless of whether or not I plug anything in to the LAN port. It shouldn't require a device connected to the LAN port to sync, but just for s&gs I did plug my laptop directly in to it. Let the modem attempt to sync for over 30 mins, still no "online" light. Swap the Comcast modem back it and syncs instantly.

Then one of three things is happening, your have no signal at the outlet, or you have bad signal at the outlet, or the modem is fail.

most likley you have bad signal at the outlet in the form of a return issue, which may be due to several things, call in for a tech. For now make sure you did not install any splitters in backward [there is ONLY ONE INPUT port on any splitter, everything else is an output port and this IS important].

Now if you did not previously have TV at this location maybe try disconnecting a working TV and hooking the modem up there first. If you get a lock there, then its likley the outlet is not HOT for whatever reason and NO this is not the cable company's fault, you only activate outlets being USED as any extras are just noise sources to the entire network, plus we charge for each outlet we touch and people never want to pay they want it all done free for "just in case" delusions.

If you had TV at the current location, then clear a path to it and to the outside utility access point [usually near the power meter], call in and let the tech reconfigure the network with his meter, he will tell you what, if anything, needs to be replaced, etc.. You are free to ignore him and do whatever you want, like a lot of people do, but then don't come temper tantruming here if that is your choice. The company will charge you for a failed SIK if the main issue is on your side of the DMARC. Even if the tech fixes minor issues on the companies side, if the major issues is yours, its time to pay for it to get fixed. You own the wires, you own the splitters [even if comcast installed them they stay at YOUR house so they are your property.

Just the facts. So you know what to expect. In my FFO failed sik = about $40 depending on what has to be fixed more charges can occur. Rewiring an entire house is not going to just be $40.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

ropeguru

Premium Member

Did you not even bother to comprehend the original post?

When switching from a Comcast-owned modem to a customer-owned modem

If he is switching then apparently he had internet service on the outlet he is connecting his own modem to.

Case here is possibly two bad modems or his signal specs are just out far enough that the old brand modem worked but the new ones are tolerant enough.

dslcreature
Premium Member
join:2010-07-10
Seattle, WA

dslcreature to pike

Premium Member

to pike
I've used sas.r2.attbi.com or actsvr.comcastonline.com many times for years and always managed to register a new modem without having to call comcast.

Just last week I tried again but no dice. None of the old URLs work anymore and »www.comcast.com/activate was not accessible from the walled garden! Other urls like activate.comcast.com selfinstall3.comcast.com were but not the initial www.comcast.com page needed for these to work.

Had another Internet connection I used to try and get past comcast.com portion to the other URLs which worked from walled garden but the change in networks seemed to confuse the registration server as it showed me a bunch of weird devices that were not my modem.

Finally gave up and called in to get it activated.

FWIW was activating SB6121 using notebook direct wired to modem (Different MAC from normal service) checked to make sure all settings DNS..etc were coming from comcast dhcp, tried ie and firefox browsers..same results www.comcast.com/activate would never come up from walled garden.

gHiDoRa
join:2002-08-05
Memphis, TN

gHiDoRa to pike

to pike
i used the walled garden pages last 2 time, it's up and running after couple min.

husky55
Long Island Sound
Premium Member
join:2005-03-25
Madison, CT

husky55 to dslcreature

Premium Member

to dslcreature
Funny, it also happened to me. I have a SB6121 which is working fine but I want a backup so I bought a Zoom 5341J. Couldn't get anything to show up at first. After about an hour or so of rebooting computers, routers, modems etc... I finally got the walled garden. I already have my ID and PW so I tried to sign in and the web page disappear again. Finally, I got the walled garden back, this time I just input the account number and my phone. Finally, Comcast activated my Zoom.
I think the implementation of self install is different in different parts of the country. In Connecticut, it was the old SNET mentality where customers need a truck roll for everything. I know, I have 2 Tivo cable cards and went through hell to get them working.

This really should take about 10-20 minutes tops!!!

pike
Premium Member
Washington, DC

pike to RokHed

Premium Member

to RokHed
said by RokHed:

Did I miss where ya called them to register the new modem? If not. just call and be done with it. You coulda been online 3 days ago. Or at least know if the modem (s) are bad.

Sigh.

This is why I didn't want to call. I knew I would be dealing with nothing but incompetence and ineptitude.

At about 5:45pm today, I finally gave in and called after exhausting every other option.

This first call was disconnected before I had even finished giving the tech the CMAC id.

The second call, the tech insisted there was a problem with my inside wiring (despite the old modem working perfectly and the new modem displaying very good signal levels). Most of the call was a sales pitch for Comcast's "Service Protection Plan" would wound ensure that when the tech comes out to repair my apparently faulty inside wiring, I wouldn't be charged for this wonderful service. Funny thing is I don't really have any inside wiring. I live in a condo with three other units. The drop from the pole is attached to the exterior wall of my unit, and from the tap goes about 6" to a hole in my wall where the cable modem is plugged directly in with no splitters or additional wiring.

So next call, the tech says they need my serial number in addition to my CMAC id and I'll be up and running in no time. After supplying this information, and predictably still no connection, I'm told the issue will need to be escalated and am provided a ticket number with assurance that I will receive a call back in 15-20 minutes.

Fast forward an hour, still no call back. I call and reference the ticket number, and am advised they will need at least 24 more hours to resolve the issue.

So now here I am with no internet service, and three cable modems that don't work. Thanks Comcast.

In the mean time I've been able to learn some of the workings of cable modem CPE and plant technology. Using the event logs and status pages available on my modem, I believe I've isolated the problem to something in Comcast's equipment. The head end seems to not want to issue my modem a DHCP address. Sync is good with solid upstream and downstream power levels and SNR. Hopefully someone at Comcast will figure this out soon. I've wasted enough of my day on this bullshit.

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

netcool

Premium Member

What is the exact model # of your WBM760? Is it a WBM760A or WBM760B?

Also I'm not sure if you've tried posting in the direct forum here but SteveTeow See Profile has a great reputation for getting things done:

»Comcast Direct

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to pike

Premium Member

to pike
Must be a signal issue if it won't sync or stay connected. Sounds like a truck roll is in the cards.

pike
Premium Member
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

Must be a signal issue if it won't sync or stay connected. Sounds like a truck roll is in the cards.

With all due respect, did you read anything other than the title before responding? I posted repeatedly the signal and power levels, and stated the original modem functions perfectly.

Given this information, how did you ascertain that a signal issue exists and a truck roll is necessitated?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by pike:

said by IowaCowboy:

With all due respect, did you read anything other than the title before responding? I posted repeatedly the signal and power levels, and stated the original modem functions perfectly.

Given this information, how did you ascertain that a signal issue exists and a truck roll is necessitated?

I read your original post and from interpreting what you said (two different modems picking up upstream/downstream but problems with the online light not coming on) indicates that their must be an issue with the signal or other issue why the modem wont come online. If you buy a modem, you'll probably have the same problem based on your description of the problem. The online light should be coming on but if the modem is not provisioned, then you are supposed to hit the walled garden (which allows you to activate the modem without calling).

I don't like having truck rolls myself (mainly because the techs can never pinpoint the problem so it is a waste of my time) but it is worth a shot as the tech can plug his meter into the line and he can see much more from his meter than what you see on the modem's diagnostic page. It could also be ingress on the upstream side (which you cannot see on your side as it that is something that only the cableco can see on their end).

The rule of thumb with truck rolls is the problem magically goes away when the tech arrives and comes back when he leaves. I was having issues with constantly dropping connections a year and a half ago and I had six (yes 6) truck rolls before they pinpointed it to a couple of sucked out fittings behind a couple of wall plates. Some hidden problems can be a real headache. The tech who repaired the fittings had a hard time as the wire was RG6 Quad Shield (from the old dual cable days) and they have since switched to regular RG 6 after the rebuild so they only carry RG 6 fittings.

As for the inconvenience of truck rolls, I opted for a self install on my triple play upgrade (even though I have an alarm system) but I did the VoIP backfeed and the wiring myself (as I originally installed the alarm system and the RJ31X myself).

pike
Premium Member
Washington, DC

pike to netcool

Premium Member

to netcool
said by netcool:

What is the exact model # of your WBM760?

Also I'm not sure if you've tried posting in the direct forum

WBM760A. I haven't tried the direct forum yet, figured that was a last resort and I'd at least give the "official" channels a chance first.
pike

pike to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

The rule of thumb with truck rolls is the problem magically goes away when the tech arrives and comes back when he leaves.

Isn't that the truth! I'm really hoping to avoid a truck roll as I'm working on a special project at work which has me on overnights through the end of next week. Not looking forward to waking up early in the AM for a tech visit..