uniqs
share rss forum feed

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:63
reply to pike

Re: Required to call Comcast when buying own modem?

What is the exact model # of your WBM760? Is it a WBM760A or WBM760B?

Also I'm not sure if you've tried posting in the direct forum here but SteveTeow See Profile has a great reputation for getting things done:

»Comcast Direct

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
reply to pike

Must be a signal issue if it won't sync or stay connected. Sounds like a truck roll is in the cards.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3

said by IowaCowboy:

Must be a signal issue if it won't sync or stay connected. Sounds like a truck roll is in the cards.

With all due respect, did you read anything other than the title before responding? I posted repeatedly the signal and power levels, and stated the original modem functions perfectly.

Given this information, how did you ascertain that a signal issue exists and a truck roll is necessitated?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by pike:

said by IowaCowboy:

With all due respect, did you read anything other than the title before responding? I posted repeatedly the signal and power levels, and stated the original modem functions perfectly.

Given this information, how did you ascertain that a signal issue exists and a truck roll is necessitated?

I read your original post and from interpreting what you said (two different modems picking up upstream/downstream but problems with the online light not coming on) indicates that their must be an issue with the signal or other issue why the modem wont come online. If you buy a modem, you'll probably have the same problem based on your description of the problem. The online light should be coming on but if the modem is not provisioned, then you are supposed to hit the walled garden (which allows you to activate the modem without calling).

I don't like having truck rolls myself (mainly because the techs can never pinpoint the problem so it is a waste of my time) but it is worth a shot as the tech can plug his meter into the line and he can see much more from his meter than what you see on the modem's diagnostic page. It could also be ingress on the upstream side (which you cannot see on your side as it that is something that only the cableco can see on their end).

The rule of thumb with truck rolls is the problem magically goes away when the tech arrives and comes back when he leaves. I was having issues with constantly dropping connections a year and a half ago and I had six (yes 6) truck rolls before they pinpointed it to a couple of sucked out fittings behind a couple of wall plates. Some hidden problems can be a real headache. The tech who repaired the fittings had a hard time as the wire was RG6 Quad Shield (from the old dual cable days) and they have since switched to regular RG 6 after the rebuild so they only carry RG 6 fittings.

As for the inconvenience of truck rolls, I opted for a self install on my triple play upgrade (even though I have an alarm system) but I did the VoIP backfeed and the wiring myself (as I originally installed the alarm system and the RJ31X myself).
--
I wish I still lived in Iowa; Everything there from rent and groceries to Cable TV is much cheaper in Iowa (especially with an overbuilder in town).

pike
Premium,MVM
Washington, DC
reply to netcool

said by netcool:

What is the exact model # of your WBM760?

Also I'm not sure if you've tried posting in the direct forum

WBM760A. I haven't tried the direct forum yet, figured that was a last resort and I'd at least give the "official" channels a chance first.

pike
Premium,MVM
Washington, DC
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

The rule of thumb with truck rolls is the problem magically goes away when the tech arrives and comes back when he leaves.

Isn't that the truth! I'm really hoping to avoid a truck roll as I'm working on a special project at work which has me on overnights through the end of next week. Not looking forward to waking up early in the AM for a tech visit..