All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

lakerfan82
join:2009-01-30
Corona, CA

lakerfan82 to webcobbler

to webcobbler

Re: Thoughts on Verizon picking up the PAC 12 Network?

Web, based on some of the rumors on Twitter it appears the Pac-12 is close to a deal with DirecTV and Verizon. Here is my own personal guess about what happens: FiOS adds the HD Pac-12 Los Angeles Network as an RSN to their southern California customers (prime HD and above) on the day before the 1st football game. The Pac-12 National gets added as an SD channel to all customers subscribing to Ultimate HD or a sports tier. This is essentially how it worked when they added the Longhorn Network. Southern California customers bear the brunt of the cost and very little bandwidth is consumed nationally. Just a guess...

webcobbler
@verizon.net

webcobbler

Anon

I would very much like to get this channel, but if we were to get it in SD and no HD, then no thank you.

I am sure that everyone on here, and in general, def prefers channels to be in HD, esp Sports Channels. Better picture quality, etc. Seeing it in SD only would make it worse.

So, raise your Glasses and here's to getting the Pac-12 Network in HD! *Cheers*

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to lakerfan82

to lakerfan82
said by lakerfan82:

FiOS adds the HD Pac-12 Los Angeles Network as an RSN to their southern California customers (prime HD and above) on the day before the 1st football game. The Pac-12 National gets added as an SD channel to all customers subscribing to Ultimate HD or a sports tier.

I have no issue with what you layed out as long as they do not add the National feed to the UltimateHD tier. Longhorn network and Pac-12 both should be part of the sports tier. I have a strong feeling though that it won't as the Pac-12 is going to want a larger base to take carriage fees from.
Bolt1963
join:2011-07-19
Redondo Beach, CA

Bolt1963

To be fair though, the PAC 12 Network is a completely different animal than the Longhorn Network. How ESPN pushed a single carriage deal outside of Texas is beyond me. Even if I were a Texas alum/fan, it would be limited IMO.

Cobbler - one area I really do not agree with the PAC 12 Network structure is their TV everywhere. They are requiring both your cable and internet providers to have carriage deals to have access. Up until that was announced a couple weeks ago, figured worst case I would switch to Time Warner for internet and watch the games streaming in HD on my computer or stream it to my TV. Unfortunate they are putting that limitation on us.

But to my point. If Verizon carries the channel in SD - if you have internet with FIOS too, at least you will be able to stream the games in HD.

lakerfan82
join:2009-01-30
Corona, CA

lakerfan82

Bolt, the Pac 12 will not require BOTH your Pay TV and Internet providers to have carriage deals with the conference, you only have to authenticate through your pay-tv provider and you must subscribe to the package that actually contains the channel (ie if Verizon only has the National Network on their Ultimate HD tier, then you won't get the TV Everywhere streaming unless you subscribe to Ultimate HD, or Prime HD in the case of Southern California subscribers assuming my scenario above is the case). They just want to make sure you are paying for the channel, preventing people from cutting the cord. Jon Wilner of San Jose Mercury News was able to get a clarification from the conference regarding exactly that point (»blogs.mercurynews.com/co ··· n-front/).

Regarding your comments on the Longhorn Network, what you say is true. Another scenario that makes sense is that since these channels will likely be released in MPEG-4 format, Verizon will broadcast the national channel in HD MPEG-4 format on their systems, which would take up less space and force the customers who want the channel to upgrade their boxes to the 7xxx series boxes, similar to what they do with the MLB Extra Innings channels. However, I still think the Pac-12 National will end up on Ultimate HD (or sports tiers in markets that have them).
Bolt1963
Redondo Beach, CA

Bolt1963

Thanks for the correction, I misspoke. Was so caught up with the TV carriage I twisted it around a little.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

1 edit

bohratom to Bolt1963

to Bolt1963
said by Bolt1963:

To be fair though, the PAC 12 Network is a completely different animal than the Longhorn Network. How ESPN pushed a single carriage deal outside of Texas is beyond me.

You answered your own question.......ESPN has alot of clout as their carriage fees are the highest in the market, around $4.50/subscriber which allows them to pressure/entice providers regarding other channels.
Bolt1963
Redondo Beach, CA

Bolt1963

Yeah, I know. But Verizon is really the only carrier to cave -- will be interesting if ESPN ever really gets any penetration with the garbage content they have.

Obviously I am sports nut. But even I think ESPN is way too big. So big, they can afford a mistake as big as LHN.