spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

comcast suk

@comcast.net

[HD] please help me prove comcast box ruining 2 tvs

My comcast box had some sort of surge where the face of the box lit up and went blank causing it to reboot itself as well as my tv screen flashing and going blank. When it booted back up my tv would not turn on at all. the light on the tv would flashed like it was going to turn on but there was no picture. no matter what i did the screen was just stuck completely black. A similar thing happened to another tv with the same comcast box. The 2nd tv was 2 weeks old and the box again flashed and rebooted and the tv went blank. this time when the tv came back on there was a picture but it had permanent vertical lines on it. These lines have never went away. comcast says that there box could not have been the cause of these issues in either instance. They see nothing wrong with there box and is not going to take responsibility for either tv. is there a way to prove that it was the comcast box and if not what might have been the cause???????????

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

1 recommendation

a comcast box isnt going to surge...what may "suk" is your power company, or another electrical problem in the house...
--
I'm better than you!

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to comcast suk

Blame some electrical source in your house or even your neighborhood. First suspicion would be the neutral on the actual outlet that they are connected to. The second thing to check would be the neutral to the actual service panel from the street. you could turn it into your homeowners insurance.

chimerax

join:2012-07-25
reply to comcast suk

said by comcast suk :

this time when the tv came back on there was a picture but it had permanent vertical lines on it. These lines have never went away. comcast says that there box could not have been the cause of these issues in either instance.

Cable boxes can never be a cause for vertical lines on TV. If you are using a LCD TV, there are many causes for this problem to occur. Move nearby radios, heaters, electric fans, drills and other electronic devices to an outlet not shared by the TV. If the lines are still there it may occur due to bad connection, some high voltage aftereffects, TAB (Short for tape automated bonding) failure, or T-CON (Timing Control Board) failure. In case of bad connection replace your TV cables. Use power surge protector outlet to protect your TV from high voltage issues. Not only LCD TVs, Plasma TVs or other TVs also display vertical lines on screen due to interferences.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to comcast suk

Don't know if you have tried yet, but get a different cable between the box and tv and see if that helps.

Also grab hold of the cable where it screws into the box along with the actual female connector on the box and wiggle them all, and see if anything changes. Possibly could have a bad connector on the box itself.
(just a suggestion)

Hope you get to the bottom of this.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

not

@comcast.net

It's possible the box may be blowing out the inputs on the TV. What type of connection are you using between the box and the TV. If it's HDMI, try another HDMI port on the back of the TV. They usually have at least 2, even if the TV is a few years old. If it's something else, try another video input to see if the whole TV is broken or just a certain input.

Also, by the whole box lighting up, it sounds like you're describing a network reset happening on the box. Those happen from time to time (maybe once a month) during maintenance or for other reasons, but once the box is back up, the TV should still function. I've not seen a TV or its input get blown out by this reset. Of course, there's a first time for everything. I would check your other inputs on the TV. Keep in mind that even if the input went bad, the menu system of the TV should still work on it if it's a modern TV. If that works, then you know at least the TV display works. If you're having trust issues with that cable box, I would swap it before you hook it up to the next TV you think it's going to fry.