Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

1 edit

Buy new SATA drives vs. PCI IDE Controller?

I have a client who has a bunch of IDE drives that are serving his needs just fine. Enough space, performance is fine, and they are reliable. He's wanting to upgrade CPUs/MBs but few have enough (or any) IDE controllers on them. I tried one PCI IDE controller and it didn't work with Win7, no drivers and never came up. The others I've seen online have very mixed reviews of even working at all.

Looking for suggestions on which way to go, biting the bullet, dump the IDE drives and rebuy SATA? Or, is there an IDE controller PCI card that others have used successfully with Win7/32 and Win7/64? Thanks.

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

Where did the drives not show up in windows 7 setup or once loaded?

Did you load the drivers?

bbear2
Premium

No drives seen in the BIOS.

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
Milledgeville, GA

They won't show up in the BIOS since its an add on card
. The Card itself may have its own BIOS like setup screen.. what's the model number of the card.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
reply to bbear2

Hitting CTRL-A at the right time will often get you into the bootup sequence/BIOS of the IDE card, which is NOT the BIOS of the mainboard.

bbear2
Premium

okay, my bad. I retried the PCI / IDE card and it does boot and it does recognize the drive. Now it's stuck on Win7/32 with no compatible driver. It is a Promise Technology TX2 Ultra 100. And it doesn't look like Promise has an updated Win7 driver.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to bbear2

That model of Promise card is practically ancient (roughly 10 years, maybe 11). You probably won't find Windows 7 drivers for it -- ever.

Simple answer to the problem at hand: scrap the IDE drives and go SATA. If the system (motherboard) has on-board SATA ports and the ability to turn on AHCI in the BIOS, go with that, hands down. Don't keep trying to re-enact Riverdance finding ways to make the old drives work with present-day OSes, because you're going to have to deal with this situation again the next time the OS is upgraded (Windows 8, Windows 45, who knows).

If you need me to recommend an inexpensive SATA controller that has AHCI support and isn't known to have any crappy bugs + providers Windows 7 drivers (both 32-bit and 64-bit), I can do so, but as I said above if the system already has SATA on-board, use that above all else.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
reply to bbear2

You might (and I strongly stress might) be able to get this working if you look for specific model IDE cards. Look for something with a HighPoint HPT370/370a controller or a Silicon Image SIL0680 controller. These controllers have been found on many motherboards back when IDE was more prevalent. Most of these have an XP driver available that will usually work with Vista/7 32-bit and there might be beta drivers for vista/7 if you look hard enough. There might be XP64 drivers available that might work on Vista/7 64-bit too but it's all still hit or miss and would be something you would just have to try.

And like koitsu See Profile said, there's no guarantee going forward that they will continue to work. As you've seen, support is already spotty at best. You could try IDE to SATA adapters but those tend to cause problems and issues of their own. You really should try and replace the IDE drives. At least get a SATA drive for boot, and use the IDE for additional storage.

For that matter, you would be better served by using USB/Firewire enclosure(s) for the IDE drives as that would be better supported going forward. How many IDE drives are we talking about here? I assume this is across multiple computers? If you really must keep IDE and it is just 1 or 2 drives per computer, there are still motherboards with IDE controllers native to them. You could use a USB/Firewire enclosure for extra drives beyond 2.

XPAMD
Premium
join:2002-06-08
united state
reply to bbear2

Maybe one of these will work??? »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···12200787 It converts IDE to SATA. If your looking at a RAID setup though, I would doubt it would work, don't know.

The Reviews are worth a read.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to JoelC707

I used to use that Silicon Image SIL0680 controller card... it does work with Windows 7.
»www.siliconimage.com/support/sea···31&cat=3

Most newer computers can boot addon / add-in pci card, if that is set as the first boot device in the BIOS.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to bbear2

I would recommend moving to SATA drives. Just because the drives have been trouble free does not mean that they will continue to be that way. Past performance is not an indicator of future results. It is not a question if these drives will fail, only when. My experience is that you can rely on a drive for three to five years, after that you are on borrowed time.

Rather than spending the time and money getting legacy drives to work with a modern system put the money towards new drives. I just picked up three Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives for $150 each. Odds are that is more storage than he currenly has and/or needs. My plan is to put them in a 6TB RAID5 array.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

janderso1
Jim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to bbear2

Newegg has two that claim Windows 7 support.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···16124009

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···16132012
--
Jim Anderson

Scilicet
Spaced Out
Premium
join:2005-04-11
Aurora, CO
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to bbear2

Have you considered one of these?
»www.microcenter.com/single_produ···=0267067

P.S. I see that XPAMD See Profile has already suggested that.
--
retarded ignition

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2
reply to bbear2

How about IDE to SATA cable? »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···12530007

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
Milledgeville, GA

That's a Power cable nothing more.

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

1 edit

said by Napsterbater:

That's a Power cable nothing more.

Sorry for the Misinformation. Take a look here »www.microcenter.com/search/searc···94966931

bbear2
Premium
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

Hitting CTRL-A at the right time will often get you into the bootup sequence/BIOS of the IDE card, which is NOT the BIOS of the mainboard.

Tried hitting cntl-A but no luck. What I did find out is that if I hook up at least one HDD then all devices on either IDE1 or IDE2 will work. And the card says "IDE bus master enabled". Without at least one HDD somewhere on that card, it says no ______ found (even though it lists the DVD and CD devices correctly), and then says it will not install.

I've managed to also update the BIOS to the latest but would certainly like to use the CD and DVD off this card without having to have a HDD connected there as well.