spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mgamer20o0

join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA

[Billing] canceling fios quick and easy......

after the long fight to get fios here i cant believe time has come to get rid of it. i am just glad to find out getting rid of it was so easy. it took me 6 months to get the fios here because of a computer error my block wasnt able to get it.

i havent had the billing issues like others have had. the service for the most part been great other then a few problems here and there. though i am switching to charter. my $180 bill will drop closer to $35. charter internet isnt as good but for $30 a month for a year i cant go wrong. just hooked up my ooma for cheap phone use. i will be ditching the tv its just not worth it.

so a quick phone call and it was done. they never asked why or tried to get me to stick around for a better price or anything. just when i wanted the shut off date.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

Good luck with Charter

pinky321

join:2002-06-05
reply to mgamer20o0

Watch for an offer in paper mail and post back what the offer is please

I am also thinking switch to Charter for $29.99 per month for 30/4 mbps Internet once I get notice from Verizon for the price increase.

For telephone, I would recommend OBi100 or OBi202 from Obihai Technology, Inc. with Google Voice for real free calling within north America and ability to select a telephone number within United States.

mgamer20o0

Norwalk, CA

i went with ooma for my phone. i am just hoping the 3-4 weeks it takes to port the number is a over estimation. its costing me $50 a month for just the phone until it ports over. ill keep a eye out and update if i get anything.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

Instead of the Verizon phone. I signed up for Vonage at $9.99/3 months then $24.99/9 months

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
reply to mgamer20o0

My VZ bill just creeped up another $10 this month and I haven't figured out why, yet.

I'm only 6 mo into the latest contract so I'll be looking in 18 mo

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by SparkChaser:

My VZ bill just creeped up another $10 this month and I haven't figured out why, yet.

If you subscribe to FIOS TV, each "box" increased by $2.00 a mo.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

mgamer20o0

Norwalk, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

Instead of the Verizon phone. I signed up for Vonage at $9.99/3 months then $24.99/9 months

i guess you didnt read it. i am going with ooma which is $3 a month for the 911/gov fees. i just have to wait until the phone ports over which they say can take up to 3-4 weeks. in the mean time i have to keep my phone plan until the port goes though so i dont lose the number.

no way i would ever pay $50 a month for a home phone its insane.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

Try VOIPo. I used to have Vonage but switched to VOIPo after a year and cut my phone bill by more than half. But then FiOS offered me digital voice and I was able to add that to my other three Verizon services and my Verizon bill actually went down. So then I got rid of VOIPo. But if I go back to that type of phone service they will be first on my list since they cost much less than Vonage and the quality seemed to be the same.

mgamer20o0

Norwalk, CA

well ran into my 1st problem. they blocked porting my number over since i am canceling the tv and net. i set the cancellation date 2 days after new install day just in case. i didnt want to go with out the net for a few days. called up to try to get this fixed but they couldnt help me since the department was already closed. maybe i should have waited until it was done before i made the quick and easy claim.

Noobed

join:2012-04-05
Camarillo, CA

I can see that happening. You need to get the disconnect order canceled then setup the port with whoever you're giving the number to. Don't disconnect your telephone service until your new provider has the number. They can only take the number if it's currently yours.

You sure fdv + data won't be cheap enough? You seem to be comparing a triple Play to a data only

mgamer20o0

Norwalk, CA

i had the tv and net disconnect order. left the phone up so i could port over. when i called up about disconnect i explained everything i was doing. i wish they would have said something.

phone+data for the 50/25 plan will be $85 a month. with the phone or without it doesnt save any money with verizon. switching to charter for the year will be half of that. once that year is over ill see what my options are. i know it wont be as good as i have now. though i have had issues with service the last year or so. i been looking into this for the last 6 months since i knew my contact was coming to a end once again. my idea was just to ditch the tv but with the charter deal its enough to make the the switch for now.

aa2k

join:2000-10-06
Damascus, MD

1 edit
reply to mgamer20o0

I am upset with Verizon, I had them for more that 5 years now, my bill went from 150.00 to 215.00 this month for the triple play, they cancelled the long customer promotions and they upped the boxes monthly price so I am thinking for options. I called and did not want to hear...

When I renewed my contract 2 months ago I was told the prices wont change because I was a long time customer (I understand they can cancel and move prices as they want, bit I think 215.00 is way to much so...) by the same token I have the right to move stuff around... since I am 2 months in the contract I cant cancel the whole thing without getting hit by a cancellation fee...
So if I change the plan as follow I should not have any cancellation fees if I just switch plans correct?
so my plan is:

(I have triple play - thinking on moving to Double play only)

Downgrade the 50/20 fios plan to 15/5 (if I see it too slow I can always move it up again) - or maybe just keep it as is, 10.00 difference here.
keep tv plan as is.
cancel the phone line (Digital Voice) I dont use it that much (use cell more) but I need to keep the number and line (I need to fax stuff sometimes and connect via dial up to work for equipment troubleshooting, etc) so I still need this...

I read about ooma and magic.jack, which is better? can I use both via internet while keeping internet with Verizon? How does ooma really work?

Des anyone know how much saving would be by moving from triple play to just double play?

Thanks!

mgamer20o0

Norwalk, CA

depending on what you are doing the 15/5 should be fast enough for most people. i am a heavy user so it wouldnt work for me.

i dont think it saves that much go on verizon and play around with the bundles. i know with the phone and net it would be the same price. i believe i looked into dumping the phone and it would have saved me like $5 or something with just the tv/net.

ooma costs a little more but its better. so far using ooma it sounds the same as my reg phone. the old magic jack you had to leave your comp on with software running the new one i think is stand alone. there are other options as well. »www.obihai.com/features-and-set-up.html

they all pretty much work the same way. plugs into the router and lets you make calls over the net. ooma you have to pay the 911 and other fees works out to be 3-4 a month for most people.

vircotto

join:2002-06-04
searching...
reply to mgamer20o0

SparkChaser and aa2k,

You've both confused me. If you are (both) under contract, how can VZ raise the rates? Aren't the rates specified in the contract?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

said by vircotto:

Aren't the rates specified in the contract?

For the service, yes. For the STBs, no.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

vircotto

join:2002-06-04
searching...

Oh! Thanks!

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to More Fiber

I know all the media companies have "lock in the rates" contracts but feel free to increase the rates on the equipment to allow increased revenue. Some how it just does not seem right especially since they are the only source for the set top hardware in 99% of the cases.

Kind of like the airlines with their "low air fare" but then $50/check bag, $100 fuel surcharge etc. etc. The FTC cracked down on that scam, sounds like it is time for them to get involved in the TV/Internet/Voice providers cost to consumers vs. advertised price shenanigans.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

pinky321

join:2002-06-05
reply to aa2k

said by aa2k:

I read about ooma and magic.jack, which is better? can I use both via internet while keeping internet with Verizon? How does ooma really work?

Neither is good idea. Yet, both should work with Verizon FiOS Internet. For telephone, I would recommend OBi100 or OBi202 from Obihai Technology, Inc. with Google Voice for real free calling within north America and ability to select a telephone number within United States.

tvdrew

join:2008-08-20
Washington, DC
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

said by vircotto:

Aren't the rates specified in the contract?

For the service, yes. For the STBs, no.

Pretty dodgy for those of us with a "guaranteed" contract rate for 2 years.

aa2k

Damascus, MD
reply to pinky321

I called Verizon and I ended up getting a 20.00 discount for 12 months only, still I am thinking on getting one of these viop services (better if its free) and drop the phone service.
The Obi202 sound good and it has connectivity to Google Voice, but I read Google Voice does not have 911 calls - that is a bummer since I would like to have that..

mgamer20o0

Norwalk, CA

also no one knows how long google voice will be free. next year its possible they can start charging. there is also a typical lack of support with google as well.

»www.ooma.com/app/support/911-services

aa2k

Damascus, MD

Thanks,
I was told by VZ rep that if I cancel the phone line I will get hit with a cancellation fee (around 220.00,, ouch!), I can downgrade the current TV and Internet packages with no problem even on line but I cant cancel the phone and convert the existing triple play to double play.. is this true? is it possible to lower the features of digital voice (maybe to just keep only 911 calling or something like that?)

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to aa2k

said by aa2k:

I called Verizon and I ended up getting a 20.00 discount for 12 months only, still I am thinking on getting one of these viop services (better if its free) and drop the phone service.
The Obi202 sound good and it has connectivity to Google Voice, but I read Google Voice does not have 911 calls - that is a bummer since I would like to have that..

How did you convince them to get the $20 valued customer discount? I called every month and they said that discount is not available in their systems. Maybe I'll again this month.
--
35/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

aa2k

Damascus, MD

They transfer me to the retention department, they guy I spoke to was helpful and gave me the discount.

I did a chat with Verizon and I got different information, this is part of the chat, just the relevant information; I hear some of this before so I think this is more credible:

You: I am about to downgrade my TV and Internet package via your site, my contract was renewed 2 months ago, once I do the downgrade the contract will start today from zero (24 months) or it will be for the remaining 22 months only?

REP: Your old contract plan will be deleted. You will get a new contract plan with new bundle package. The new contract plan will start within 24 hours to 48 hours at the time when the new bundle package is activated.

You: now if a new contract will start then I could then change the type of bondle I am in correct? I have the triple play and want to move to double play (TV and Internet only) how do I do that on the site? also, I have extra packages (starz showtime) and dont want do loose those and the promotion credits I already have..

REP: Yes, that's correct. You can change the bundle package. Since you already have existing FiOS triple play package, you will not be able to discontinue your Verizon home phone service online. You will require to call your local Verizon business office.
The new bundle package will not affect on your current Starz Showtime Entertainment Pack, price and promotion. They will remain the same.
You can also renew the triple play package online now to secure great online price. You can discontinue the home phone service from your triple play package at anytime whenever you with. You will not be charged any early termination fees if you remove the home phone service and maintain the contract for Internet and TV bundle package.

key note: "You can discontinue the home phone service from your triple play package at anytime whenever you with. You will not be charged any early termination fees if you remove the home phone service and maintain the contract for Internet and TV bundle"

So I can change the TV/Internet packages (downgrade) on line now and then once I have the voip setup done, I can cancel the phone line from the triple play. this means the phone part of it does not carries any penalties...

I am thinking on ordering the OBi202, it seems more flexible and works with a long list of providers, taking Google Voice for now as the primary (free) and take a second ISP for 911 (CallCentric -the outbound plan costs 1.50 p/month to maintain). I read good reviews on CallCentric, they also offer a number for 2.95 p/month for inbound calls on the number provided by them.

mgamer20o0

Norwalk, CA

i have changed my mind its not quick and easy.....

friday came long and my net/tv turned off as well as my phone. when i called them up to make sure they didnt cancel the phone they informed me the got the number to port over and released it to the new company. had a busy weekend tried checking the number on the ooma and its not my old number. monday i checked the porting and said i had to call them. ooma which so far has great cs answers quickly very helpful and nice said there was a problem and they had to contact verizon again to see what the problem was. i took it upon my self to call to see whats going on well it turns out they did cancel the phone on friday. they said they could reactivate it with the old number had to run a credit check. this way i can continue porting over the number. said it would be up and running again by midnight. checked the dial tone it worked thought nothing of it.

come today someone called me on my cell telling me my number doesnt work. i called my cell and its a new number. once again called up verizon spent another half hour on the phone getting them to fix it so i have the correct number. once again i am told a different story which has been the case each time i have called. i cant wait until this is over. my plans were most likely go back to verizon once my year of cheap net with charter is over.... now the chances are very slim.