bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
reply to Paultergeist

Re: [CA] Newbie needs some basic education -- help is appreciate

said by Paultergeist:

If packets are getting lost, is that a pretty good indication of a problem within the ISP side of the fence, as opposed to my equipment and/or wiring?

Not necessarily. Cabling problems in the home are actually the most common cause of problems

damaged/kinked cables, loose or improperly installed fittings, and unterminated connections cause impedance mismatches that allow for ingress and microreflections - more colloquially known as "noise"

Noise in the cable plant whether in the home or outside will cause the modem and CMTS to have to resend packets that cannot be mathematically corrected and this can manifest as IP packet loss.

The techs should be able to troubleshoot this both with centrally located analysis tools (for Cox these are Edgehealth and Proviso) and the DSAM's that the techs should be carrying that identify uncorrectable errors, T3 and T4 counts and other data that can help identify and isolate the sources of noise.

Paultergeist

join:2012-08-11
reply to lilstone87

Just trying to understand the source of this address-link?

What is this link called?

Was it specific to the SB6180 Motorola modem?

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Paultergeist:

Just trying to understand the source of this address-link?

What is this link called?

Was it specific to the SB6180 Motorola modem?

Well that link is for the 6180 as it has two signal pages, and the main motorola signal page link. For the 6180 will only show signal info, for the main downstream, and upstream channel it locks onto. Anyways if you just type or click this link, this is mostly default link to most modem's. Also once you go to this link »192.168.100.1/, if you look on the left side you will see tabs you can click on, like "Status, Signal, Connect, Log".

Paultergeist

join:2012-08-11
reply to Paultergeist

Thanks very much! I'm learning a little bit as I go.....