moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
Reviews:
·Revol Wireless
·Optimum Online

1 edit

[CDV] Porting my number

ok, looks like the moves I've planned a few times nobody wants to get aboard with in the house, but we can all agree to comcast.

So what does it fully take to get my number ported from att to comcast?

how long will it take too?

If we're down more then a day waiting then moving away from att fully will not happen

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

Re: Porting my number

may take up to a week. Actual "cutover" whenever it happens is very short, but waiting for it to happen - yeah.

Tell Comcast you want to port your number, don't cancel AT&T. Wait for dialtone to go dead on your current service. Verify dialtone and call number on new service. Then call AT&T and verify old service is canceled. You should not be "down" for long at all, if at all - just have to continue on the old service while waiting.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to moes
You shouldnt have any down time at all. It can take up to 10 days for the port to go thru. But should be a simple switch from one to the other with zero down time. It goes from one service to the other. You have complete service thru the port period.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to moes

Re: [CDV] Porting my number

I did this back in May. Make sure you do start the process with Comcast, as they will be the ones to perform the port of your number. As others have said, do not cancel your service with AT&T until after you have verified that everything is working.

I know when I did it, I tried to cancel AT&T the day I signed up for CDV. The guy at the AT&T store told me to wait, as that could actually mess things up. He said that if you cancel AT&T to soon, you will loose service (as you cancel it), and if things are not done on the Comcast side, then you will be without service until they are. Not to mention the fact that, if the number port has not been completed, there is a slight chance that someone else could grab the number before its done. The way the guy explained it to me was that once you cancel, the number goes into the "available" pool so to speak, and if a new customer asks for a number, it could be yours that they give out.

In total, I was probably without service for about 20 to 30 minutes, as that was the time it took me to activate the modem on the voice side, and re-hook up my phone lines in the house to my eMTA modem.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to moes
We switched 3 lines from AT&T to Comcast. Aside from the installation there was no downtime, in fact there was overlap, the old lines stayed up til the end of the day.

crawlernight

join:2012-08-14
Hi i am new to this thread and i would to share and gain expert advice.
The FCC has changed its number porting rules to shorten the porting period for simple ports from the current four days to one business day. The new deadline applies to all simple ports, including intermodal ports such as wire line to wireless, wireless to wire line, wire line or wireless to VoIP or any other combination. Simple ports generally do not involve more than one line or more complex adjustments to telephone switching equipment.