share rss forum feed

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat
kudos:3

Anyone ever used InkOwl for refill ink?

So, my home printer has gone kaput, so I got a simple Epson Workforce 545 all-in-one to replace it (on sale).. Not looking for museum prints, but just home stuff..

The printer cost me $80, which is about what a full set of replacement carts cost from Epson..

So, I figured I'd look into the current state of refill products.. I see OwlInk sells their "top-quality" pigment inks supposedly formulated for epson, as well as easy refill carts with self-resetting chips.. whole package (3X60mL color, and 1X 120mL black, and the easy refill carts) for like $66..

I bought a set to see.. My question is, has anyone ever used owl, and am I putting my (non-replaceable) printheads in jeopardy?

Is refill ink still a seriously taboo subject amongst proper digital artists anymore?

If not Owl, what could you suggest?

Thanks for the input
--
When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

TheAnalyzer

join:2006-01-20

1 edit
I have never used InkOwl so they may be really good.

But my experience with after market/ refill stuff is really bad.
My print heads dried up on me on two different printers.

Since the print heads on both machines were inaccessible both machines where paperweights. (cleaning kit wouldn't help)

See the problem is different ink has a slightly different consistency and 'drying speed' than the original stuff. But often that is enough to brick the print head.

But YMMV of course.

I now bought a Canon PIXMA. Very happy with it.

I would never buy after market stuff again.

But this is of course how inject printer manufacturers make there money: selling their ink.

Edit: When printing photos I also had better results with the original ink.

TA
--
quod erat demonstrandum

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler
Premium,Mod
38.2967 Lat
I'm right there with you.. There was a time where my Epson wide format printer was my livelihood, and I never would have used non-OEM ink.. (for that printer, a full exchange of carts was $154) Like you, I've had bad experiences with refill inks clogging jets, killing heads, and making printers useless.. This, however was literally 8-9 years ago..

I know that replacement ink is dubious at best, but for a $80 printer, I figured what the hell.. InkOwl replacement (6X sets of carts worth) for $70, and if the printer dies, then, so be it..

Just wanted to get a general litmus read on what the prevailing opinion was on refill inks, and what companies (if any) were the better ones to use. Just wanted to see if they've gotten any better over the years..
--

TheAnalyzer

join:2006-01-20
well to answer your question:
I replaced the cartridges of my Brother DCP J315W with Pelikan cartridges:

»www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_···essories

and Pelikan is a good company IMO.

Printer was dead. And that was about 4 weeks ago and not 8 years ago

And IMHO it does not matter if it is a refill set or a replacement cartridge. It's about the ink itself.

Its about the ink in combination with the print head, so there is no such thing as one ink fits all.

And I highly doubt that 3rd party manufacturers develop ink individually for every brand..

So no. IMHO refill sets or 3rd party cartridges have not gotten better over the years.

TA
--
quod erat demonstrandum

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
reply to Jason
For the 10-15 bucks I wouldnt chance it.

Premium
join:2005-03-29
reply to Jason
For what it's worth, I tried some Microcenter ink for an old HP inkjet, with the possibility of money-back if they don't perform well. Luckily they did, and I'm satisfied.

I've already ditched two Canon inkjets where the nozzles didn't work, and no amount of cleaning helped. Just bought a $20 Canon Pixma from Newegg. When it goes it's only $20.

Xlogic
Premium
join:2002-10-17
Conyers, GA
reply to Jason
I use »www.inkjetcarts.us/ and have never had a problem, I get their refillable carts with ink for my Epsons. They answer the phone when you call and seem like very nice people.

Mike

Aks

@197.226.116.x
reply to Jason
I use refill ink but currently not from Inkowl. I never had any kind of problem from my CISS... One thing that should be kept in mind however is what type of ink your printer supports; either dye-based or pigmented. Using pigmented ink for dye-based printers will cause damage to the print head. NEVER EVER USE UNIVERSAL INK. Every printer has different ink systems. 3rd party ink manufacturers take this into consideration. You'll see your printer model next to the ink it supports. Don't worry Inkowl is a safe option if you know how to use it and use it well.

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler
Premium,Mod
38.2967 Lat
Yeah, this Epson printer uses Pigmented inks (Durabrite, or something?)
So.. These are supposed to be the right ones.

We shall see.. The prospect of saving literally $60+ Per each full change of cartridges is just too enticing
--