Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

21GB download

I'm on a four month hiatus from WoW but logged on today to test something. (It appear they've unblocked our ability to connect from work via the wifi! Hope it's not just a temporary oversight...) Anyway, I noticed the client is downloading a 21GB update... I suppose this must be the "last big patch" in prepration for the expac, right? Seems like that's how they've normally done it in the past.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2

You are correct. It is the upgrade pre-patch.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
reply to Gork

Any word on 5.0 drop yet?

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

Maybe a couple of weeks before MoP.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY

Why do I have this twitchy feeling in my gut that's telling me this is going to be more like BC than Wrath?

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

You know, they have to stretch this shit out until 'Titan' is almost ready. An expansion every other year at this point, using the 5 level progression, should take it to 2016 for reaching character level 100. That's 12 years of game life (release on November 23, 2004). At that point, WoW may continue on for another expansion or two just to get near the release date of 'Titan'.
--
"The level of sacrifice that you give is beyond my comprehension. If the rest of us in the Country showed the level sacrifice that you do on a daily basis, we wouldn't have any of the problems we have." – Comedian Lewis Black speaking to the US troops.

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

Interesting number crunching... I've been looking forward to Titan; been tiring of WoW for a long time now. But, after the debacle known as D3 I'm not sure Blizzard has it in them anymore.

engineercarl
Premium
join:2003-02-24
20026-4474
reply to Harddrive

After my D/L, I noticed a "5.0 migration data" folder that wasn't there before. I wonder exactly how big it will be...

knowble

join:2012-07-30
Newport News, VA
reply to Harddrive

Any ideas on what Titan actually is? I read some info on it being an MMOFPS...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Harddrive

said by Harddrive:

Maybe a couple of weeks before MoP.

Well isn't 5.0.0 the pre-Event patch? and 5.0.5 the event patch?

I'd guess the patch might hit around the start of September then a couple weeks later the event will be activated.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

BTW I'm hoping the event happens around 9-1 to 9-3 time frame

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to knowble

said by knowble:

Any ideas on what Titan actually is? I read some info on it being an MMOFPS...

Its a thing made by blizz

If you watch blizzcon 2011 they do ask about it but blizz just says they can't talk about it but titan is only a code name.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
reply to knowble

i really hope it isnt an FPS but an Elder Scrolls-esque Rpg, or MMORPG like it, i have never been able to get into shooters, just isnt fun for me.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
If you say you burned my map, I'll nail your tits to the table!

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
reply to Gork

I downloaded this patch on both my laptop and my wife's laptop this weekend. The size of the actual MoP patch is only 6.15 GB; the download started with 14.9 GB already complete. The only way you would be downloading the entire 21 GB at once, is if you were installing to a computer with no pre-existing WoW file.

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
reply to Gork

So a few rumors on my server and guild is next week even for the content patch to change to MoP talents. Anyone else hear this or just trade chat BS?
--
He who controls the Spice, controls the universe.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

i call bs, but blizz is their own special snowflake so hey it could happen, but i still call bs
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
If you say you burned my map, I'll nail your tits to the table!

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA
reply to bTU

They had previously stated that the Mists pre-patch would only be up a few weeks before launch, so I'd still wager after Labor Day (though possibly the day after).

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Nick D:

They had previously stated that the Mists pre-patch would only be up a few weeks before launch, so I'd still wager after Labor Day (though possibly the day after).

When I hear "a few," I think 6. so next week
--
Good evening!

grekan12

join:2011-01-11

My guess is that they will time it with the release of GW2. so in 2 weeks time is my guess for 5.0.

This will also give people enough time to download the patch data.

djlar

join:2009-04-23
reply to Gork

The 5.04 pre-download it's 6GB, and it's NOT MOP... period

It should hit 4 weeks before MoP to get used to new abilities, remember when WotLK and Cata hit..

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Gork

I bet graphical assets will be able to be pushed before even any 5.0 data as most of that is likely and has been long finished. Art usually completes well before code since well once the art is fitting together right it rarely has to be patched.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

djlar

reply to djlar

said by djlar:

The 5.04 pre-download it's 6GB, and it's NOT MOP... period

It should hit 4 weeks before MoP to get used to new abilities, remember when WotLK and Cata hit..

I totally called it.. gimme a sammich please..

tuocekim
Wafer Pushin' Biatch
Premium
join:2002-11-16
Putnam, CT
reply to kingdome74

said by kingdome74:

5.0 drops on 8/28

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by tuocekim:

said by kingdome74:

5.0 drops on 8/28

And then let the fun begin!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to tuocekim

said by tuocekim:

said by kingdome74:

5.0 drops on 8/28

Any idea when the nerd rage will die down after that?

djlar

It depends who got buffed and who got nerfed...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Well IMO the loss of spellsteal is a nerf

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8

said by DarkLogix:

Well IMO the loss of spellsteal is a nerf

in PvE it's use was fairly limited in this expansion... so it's a low-hanging fruit in that regard.

djlar

For PVE I only recall using it for some ZA mobs, that gave you a huge buff, that's it..

On Shado-Pan monastery there are some mobs that get a damage buff that stacks, would have been great for these for a mage...

Luckilly this buff can be purged, soothed and tranq'd, I didn't tranq'd one and tank died. sorry LOL

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8

yeah... in TotT you can SS the water elemental's Swell... and on Maloriak it was helpful to SS that self heal he used (can't remember the name of it now). But yeah... not much going there outside of pVp