BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

New DOCSIS 3 Modem Requirements Posted

Has anyone noticed that Cox has now posted New Modem Requirements, When will Cox "officially" require a modem upgrade for existing customers?, Is Cox already requiring it for new customers?

D3 - Required for Preferred and above
D3 8x4 - Required for Ultimate

»ww2.cox.com/residential/support/···00000000
»ww2.cox.com/residential/support/···0000000}

Cox High Speed Internet Package - Minimum Required DOCSIS Version
================================
Starter - DOCSIS 2.0
Essential
Preferred - DOCSIS 3.0 (4 x 4 channel)
Premier
Premier Plus (where available)
Ultimate DOCSIS 3.0 (8 x 4 channel)
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 WMC SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime
TiVo Elite & Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.124, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FA

Jimmy J

@cox.net
I would imagine a major speed increase is getting ready to happen and in order to get the speed you pay for on the higher tiers you must have a D3 modem. As far as an upgrade I would imagine it will be the same as they have done before: the modems are mostly considered customer owned and it will be the customers responsibility to change it out to get the newer higher speeds.

D2's aren't going to go anywhere anytime soon as you posted minimum required DOCSIS version is D2 and that will be for the lower packages.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Well the updated modem support list is kind of old as its been a couple months since it was updated. But I like it better, yet there is some error's that need correcting. As it still only shows the Zoom 5341J highest compatible speed tier as Premier/premier+. Which the modem is 8x4, and can easily handle Ultimate tier, and faster tiers in the future. Also whoever updated both list, keep using Premier Plus, which as far as I know cox got rid of that tier. Where customers went with just Premier, or went up to Ultimate.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Jimmy J
Where are the MODEM/Phone units?

Cox gave me one to use and I am not paying them anything.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

XIII

join:2010-06-16
Scottsdale, AZ
Most of them are sold only to the Cable Companies, such as the Cisco ones.

Cox is one of the few nice cable companies that dont charge you to lease a phone modem to you, as long as you have phone service it is yours.
--
»FreeDNS.afraid.org - Free DNS dynamic DNS subdomain and domain hosting

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
I have Preferred. So do I get a new unit?

XIII

Scottsdale, AZ
Are you leasing from them? If so you can walk into a cox store and swap it, subject to their policies.
--

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
No lease. It is free.

If they want to update it, Cox can deliver it and make sure that it works!
--

XIII

Scottsdale, AZ
By lease I mean did you pay for it or did they give it to you, if they gave it to you its seen as a lease (even if there is no charge for it).

They will only replace it themselves if they have to otherwise if you want it replaced you will need to go to a Cox store and swap it.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to BryanInPHX
I have a 6180 with Ultimate but in my neck of the woods they're still doing 3x1

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to XIII
According to your definition of "lease"; yes, it is a lease with no cost to me.
--

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to Jimmy J
or they don't want to fix issues in an area and by using D3 on highest tiers they can do that.

Jimmy J

@cox.net
I swapped for a newer D3 internet and phone modem at the Cox store so it should be just that easy. No there wasn't any charges applied as the equipment belongs to Cox.

dfrandin
Premium
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV
Reviews:
·Virpus.com
reply to BryanInPHX
Hmmm.. I too, would like to know when I'm gonna be forced to buy a new modem.. I'm on Preferred, and it *appears* it requires a D3 modem, which I do not have/nor care to buy at the moment, nor do I want to "lease" one from Cox.. The SB5120 I currently have is working perfectly, and with $$$ as tight as it is, I'd be an idiot to go buy something I really don't need until I'm forced to.. Any word from the forum Cox employees???

Bob333

@cox.net
If you are getting your speeds, a D3 isn't going to improve anything. My area was getting ridiculously worse with each passing day with a D2 on the Preferred Tier. ~8Mbps during the day and to the recent low of 1.5Mbps at night.

Swapped for a Cisco D3 3010 modem and now everything is perfect.

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:10
reply to dfrandin
dfrandin,

The decisions on timings of when we discontinue support/force upgrades are generally done market by market since it depends on how many there are, how urgent the need is, etc.

Since you're in Las Vegas, I can speak a little to this. At this point, we are doing DOCSIS 3 modems with new installs - DOCSIS 3 not only improves reliability for the customer getting it, but the more DOCSIS 3 modems in a node, the better off everyone is.

The last time we forced customers to upgrade was to get rid of the last of the ancient DOCSIS 1.0 and 1.1 modems a few years ago.

I will say that when and if there are future speed increases, your SB5120 may start showing it's age (and that modem is getting up there in years). If it's still working well for you in the meanwhile, stick with it.

dfrandin
Premium
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV
Reviews:
·Virpus.com
Thanks CoxVegas!

I had quite a bit of trouble back when I was still using a Linksys BEFCM10v3, a year or so ago, but once I got this SB5120, the connection has been rock-solid, once you guys flashed the latest f/w on it, prior to that it was nearly as flaky as the Linksys... I'm certainly not looking to upgrade to ANYthing beyond Preferred, in fact, if $$$ issues keep troubling me, I may downgrade to the essential level, as I don't really need the speed that preferred provides.

the niTz
Premium
join:2004-07-05
Sahuarita, AZ
reply to BryanInPHX
interesting story just called cox sales looking to purchase a modem (cisco dpc3010) and the rep said all they're allowed to sell now is the gateway model (modem/router combo).

--
01000111 01110010 01100101 01100101 01100011 01100101 00100000 01001111 01110111 01101110 01110011

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
said by the niTz:

interesting story just called cox sales looking to purchase a modem (cisco dpc3010) and the rep said all they're allowed to sell now is the gateway model (modem/router combo).

Well its best if you live close to a cox store to just stop by one, and see if they still have any of them available. But the Rep is right, cox is stopping the sell of D3 stand alone modem's. They will sell what they have left at local cox stores, but once gone. They will only be selling Gateway modems. Which is stupid on there part, as its more of a headache all around.

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to BryanInPHX
I'm still using the Arris TM502G Docsis 2 EMTA voice/modem. Since I'm on the Premiere service and am getting:

I'm not doing anything with it unless it fries or can no longer reach the speeds it should if they raise the speed levels again.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Well you do have the option to ask cox to upgrade your Emta To a D3 Emta.

Hoss
Sauters A Walrus

join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK
said by lilstone87:

Well you do have the option to ask cox to upgrade your Emta To a D3 Emta.

If they do request the DPQ3212 (Cisco). This does 8x4 channel bonding and is an EMTA to boot.

XIII

Scottsdale, AZ
reply to CoxVegas
said by CoxVegas:

dfrandin,
The last time we forced customers to upgrade was to get rid of the last of the ancient DOCSIS 1.0 and 1.1 modems a few years ago.

The way that was done in AZ was disable DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 support overnight, though CS was clueless the tech Cox sent out that day showed up with a modem at the door and 2 options : sell us the one in his hand or buy one for free after MIR at circuit city, when asked why he said it was Cox's way of phasing out DOCSIS 1.x support

A little too much 'force' if you ask me, some notice would have been nice.
--

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
I don't recall anything that drastic happening across such a broad range of equipment. What I do remember was a situation regarding D-Link modem that necessitated an emergency upgrade to resolve. Even then if you called in and had a D-Link modem we shipped a free replacement.

SlashG42

join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA
reply to BryanInPHX
With my old Arris D2 and Premier(early 2011), I was getting 14/3.

Switching to a SB6180 gave me 32/5, and I do not see any time of day slowdowns. Glad to see Cox finally pushing out the D3 modems for preferred.

XIII

Scottsdale, AZ
reply to CoxTech1
I had that D-Link, would have been nice to get a free one, CSRs were clueless, tech said they deactivated DOCSIS 1.x for 2.0 and most D-Links were made inoperable as well as some Motorola's. Sounds as if either he didnt know or didnt want to say.

Though I cant complain for having to buy a new modem, Cox comped my current D3 when the D2 started acting up.