All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
46666818 (banned)
join:2012-08-06

46666818 (banned) to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom

Re: Lite goes from 3mbit/s to 6mbit/s for Rogers customers

interesting that TSI ignores the fact other ISP's are giving the upgrades automatically but they are not.

#TSIFail
BrianON
join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON

BrianON

said by 46666818:

interesting that TSI ignores the fact other ISP's are giving the upgrades automatically but they are not.

#TSIFail

TSI offers packages with larger and unlimited usage allowances while Rogers for example offers higher speed and tiny caps with high per GB overage fees. Which is better depends on your usage. For me TSI is *much* better since I use a lot but don't need much speed.

TekSavvy Lite Cable 3 (3mbs/256kbps, 300gb,bump to $40.95/unlimited if go over a lot) for $30.95
Rogers Lite Internet (6mbs/256kpbs, 20gb, $2/gb) for $38.49

Note that going over by 2GB, which is just under 23gb usage, on Rogers would make the plan cost more than TekSavvy unlimited.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to 46666818

Premium Member

to 46666818
This is not an upgrade.6mb is a new service not an upgrade and 3 is being retired.Rogers and TPIA customers are being grandfathered on 3mb. If you wish to see it in writing its on CRTC site,rogers tariff notice 24
chogo
join:2011-05-19
Ottawa

chogo

The notice is here:
»www.crtc.gc.ca/public/87 ··· 0788.pdf

I'm not sure why this isn't a free upgrade as...
3. In Telecom Order CRTC 2012-435 (“TO 2012-435”), the Commission today granted interim approval to
Rogers TN 25, in which Rogers had proposed to introduce a 6 Mbps for disaggregated and aggregated POIs at the
same rates
at which Rogers’ 3 Mbps services for disaggregated and aggregated POIs are currently being offered.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by chogo:

The notice is here:

3. In Telecom Order CRTC 2012-435 (“TO 2012-435”), the Commission today granted interim approval to
Rogers TN 25, in which Rogers had proposed to introduce a 6 Mbps for disaggregated and aggregated POIs at the
same rates
at which Rogers’ 3 Mbps services for disaggregated and aggregated POIs are currently being offered.

Taken from Tariff Notice 25....As you can see if you read the actual tariff, there are 2 tariff's listed. The 3mb and 6mb service, the 3mb as andyb had said is not being retired....just phased out and not being offered to new subscribers...

Also because of this:

b) Customer Transfer Charge - $15.98

If TSI were to make a change, they'd be charged this $15.98 for each and everyone one of their customers....so I'm guessing they're doing this as they're going to roll off of Disaggregated into the aggregated model as that's now 16 months on the horizon so its definitely on their radar in regards to migration....so no sense going through expense to make this change. If people call in to change I'm sure they can do that..

Also its not effective until Sept 21st anyways as per Rogers, so they wouldn't be able to make those changes till then anyways...
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

Even if the access is being charged at the same rate, a higher speed user could contribute to higher peak utilization. Under the capacity rates, this ends up costing the TPIA ISP more, so some sort of price increase isn't unreasonable.

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable to nitzguy

Anon

to nitzguy
The new tariff basically means that the lowest tier is now at ADSL1 6Mbps level, but without the "up to" sync speed that ADSL1 has. Hopefully that this will raise the bar for the economy class and start some much need competitions.

Gimli
Premium Member
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4

Gimli to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

said by chogo:

The notice is here:

same rates

Taken from Tariff Notice 25....As you can see if you read the actual tariff, there are 2 tariff's listed. The 3mb and 6mb service, the 3mb as andyb had said is not being retired....just phased out and not being offered to new subscribers...

Also because of this:

b) Customer Transfer Charge - $15.98

If TSI were to make a change, they'd be charged this $15.98 for each and everyone one of their customers....so I'm guessing they're doing this as they're going to roll off of Disaggregated into the aggregated model as that's now 16 months on the horizon so its definitely on their radar in regards to migration....so no sense going through expense to make this change. If people call in to change I'm sure they can do that..

Also its not effective until Sept 21st anyways as per Rogers, so they wouldn't be able to make those changes till then anyways...

That $15.98 Charge is not what you think it is.

That charge is for when a TPIA transfers from the incumbent or another TPIA provider and no truck roll is required.

To put it simply, if you switch from Rogers to Teksavvy, Rogers charges $15.98 as the activation charge. This is because no tech needs to visit the customers house as it is understood that the customer is using the service at the time of transfer.

Right out of CRTC 2004-69 :
TPIA interim point of interconnection and service charge rates
Service element Rate

End-customer connection
a) Standard Connection Charge
Cogeco $63.32
Rogers $63.53
Shaw $77.51
Vidéotron $82.93
b) Transfer to Another ISP
Cogeco $17.72
Rogers $15.98
Shaw $20.80
Vidéotron $22.10
c) Specification Change
Cogeco $5.00
Rogers $5.00
Shaw $5.00
Vidéotron $5.00
Connection and Repair Service Charges for Each End-customer Connection
End-customer connection charges include three rate elements, namely, a) Standard Customer Connection, b) Customer Transfer to Another ISP and c) Customer Specification Change.
The Standard Customer Connection provides for service order processing as well as service provisioning activities, outlet installation and network signal testing at the end-customer premises, and existing drop wire reconnection if necessary.
The Customer Transfer to Another ISP service charge recovers the administration and reconfiguration costs incurred when an existing high-speed Internet end-customer transfers from one ISP (including a cable company) to another ISP. In this case the cable wiring and drop are already tested for Internet service; hence, there are only administrative and customer configuration activity costs. Unlike the other cable companies, Cogeco proposed to include this charge in the Standard Connection rate. The Commission has adjusted Cogeco's proposed rates to include the same service elements as the other companies.

The Commission determines that it would be appropriate to apply the Customer Transfer to Another ISP service charge for the connection of a new TPIA customer in cases where the cable company is not required to dispatch a technician to the end-customer premise for the connection of the new customer. In circumstances where a cable company provides high-speed Internet service connections for its new customers without a technician visiting the end-customer premise, the Commission considers that ISPs connecting customers in similar circumstances should also be able to do so without a cable company technician visit. Where no cable company technician is required to visit the end-customer to activate the ISP service, the Commission determines that the ISP is to pay only the Customer Transfer to Another ISP charge to connect the end-customer. The Commission notes that the criteria for such connection may depend on local conditions of the cable network and considers that cable companies and ISPs should develop criteria for connections without a cable company technician being present. The Commission determines that when such criteria are developed, tariff revisions are to be filed for approval reflecting such criteria. If consensus cannot be reached in a reasonable time, the matter can be brought before the Commission for resolution.

Teksavvy cannot be charged for making a change to the speed tier of their customer - and if they would get dinged... it would be for $5 as specified above as it would be a "Specification Change"
arahman56
join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON

arahman56 to 46666818

to 46666818
Excluding Distributel? They are adding $2 to the monthly cost for the new service, so you need to call them to upgrade (just so that you don't later complain that your monthly rate went up by $2). Consodering that Rogers itself had a $3.50 rate increase for the new speed, I would guess it would be the same for others.

However, TS should look to do it faster- my speed upgrade is due for Sep 1 (mainly because they won't do any account changes in the middle of a billing account). Of course, it could be possible that TS needs to figure out a good way to upgrade the speeds for their customers, which can take some time.

Actually, from »Re: Lite goes from 3mbit/s to 6mbit/s for Rogers customers it seems like Sep21 is when it goes live...well I'll have to see how it goes.