spc
uniqs

CCarson
join:2001-07-22
Redlands, CA

CCarson to jimrich

to jimrich

Re: [DSL] DSL extreme no working well anymore

I've always been wary of those possible fees as well. I'm not sure, but I *believe* those are fees that will be charged by AT&T if they need to fix the wiring that's inside the building (i.e. the stuff that's not contractually their responsibility).

I'm in Verizon territory. I know they let you pay a small "inside wiring maintenance" fee each month that will keep a customer from being billed for fixes that need to be made to inside wiring. Maybe AT&T has a similar option you can sign up for, to insure yourself against those fees while they troubleshoot?

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

You are correct, those fees get charged by AT&T (not us) for inside wiring repairs if necessary. Unfortunately, while AT&T does offer a 'wirepro' plan, it technically only covers voice (POTS) issues, not data (DSL) issues.
jimrich
join:2012-08-09
Encino, CA

jimrich to CCarson

to CCarson
Carson:

I spoke with a DSL tech/rep at AT&T who had trouble talking about anything technical! He said AT&T can do Voice signal tests (which they did last week for us) BUT...can NOT do Data tests on our line BECAUSE we are no longer an AT&T DSL user!
He did mention that they can do various technical things (rebuild the circuit, make the line more "stable", etc. from the office) to "improve" our DSL service IF we are with them!
Get it?
Whoever has your DSL contract does have the ability to IMPROVE your service IF THEY WANT TO - or if you complain loud enough!
The AT&T rep. also said that when DSL Extreme orders on-site service, the AT&T technician can run this so-called Data test (for DSL Extreme)!!!! So a Data test can be performed by AT&T - just NOT for us!!!
I told the (rather ignorant) AT&T service guy that I believe it's just the corporate run-around by both organizations just to squeeze more fees our of us (much like auto repair scams) since they have the customer over a barrel. They hide behind each other to get your $$$ - and you're stuck with few if any alternatives.
It's sickening when I read the very same complaints about virtually all the ISPs out there - they're all running the very same game, like the auto industry BECAUSE THEY CAN. And their well trained reps. all speak the very same double-talk and techno-speak, like we see in here, to cover up the OBVIOUS SCAM they are all working. I'll sweat out my 1 yr contract with DSLX and then be off to greener pastures!
Good luck with Verizon - you'll need it!
jim

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

1 recommendation

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Changing the connection from Fastpath to Interleave is indeed one of the steps we can take to improve stability, although doing so increases ping time. It generally only helps significantly in cases where your distance is borderline for your current speed tier.

Jim, your connection is already set to Interleave (and it doesn't seem to be helping). "Whoever has your DSL contract does have the ability to IMPROVE your service IF THEY WANT TO - or if you complain loud enough!" is NOT an accurate statement, any more than saying that your doctor can improve your health on a whim or if you complain loudly. If you want the doctor to improve your health, then you need to actually listen to his advice and take your medicine - just complaining doesn't make you healthy.

It's not a scam. There's a physical problem on your circuit - and based on the testing already performed, it's most likely the outside lines, with a slight chance of it being the modem itself. I've already given you your line readings, free of charge (not that we EVER charge for such, anyways... ). I've already recommended a dispatch from AT&T - and I reiterate, yet again, outside line repairs are FREE OF CHARGE, and even on the off chance that it's not an outside line issue, we make no money anyway. NADA. We get NO commission or kickback or whatever you want to call it when we send out a dispatch. When there are inside wire repairs, AT&T charges us, and we pass on that exact same charge, no padding or alteration, straight to you. If you go to a doctor and he gives you a free consultation and tells you to get more fiber in your diet - is the doctor running a scam with the local grocery store? NO! He's just trying to help you!

We're offering help. It's up to you to actually accept it or not.