goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

Stranded jet-skier saunters through JFK safeguards

NY Post

quote:
Some safety net.

A stranded jet-skier seeking help effortlessly overcame the Port Authority’s $100 million, supposedly state-of-the-art security system at JFK Airport — walking undetected across two runways and into a terminal, The Post has learned.

Motion sensors and closed-circuit cameras of the Perimeter Intrusion Detection System, or PIDS, were no match for Daniel Casillo, 31, of Howard Beach, who easily breached the system meant to safeguard against terrorists.
I wonder if this is the same system in use at Oak Ridge.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

2 recommendations

I'm feeling lazy today. Somebody find me a lolcats graphic and caption it:

"I'm on ur airport runwayz leaving pawprintz on ur planez!"

You do know that all the supposed 'security' everywhere is just about controlling the populace at large and actually dosen't 'secure' anything, right?

doppler

join:2003-03-31
Blue Point, NY
reply to goalieskates
And yet nobody can get near enough to AREA 51 and see anything.

That's right protect the illegal aliens and not the citizens.

goalieskates
Premium
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to DrStrange
said by DrStrange:

You do know that all the supposed 'security' everywhere is just about controlling the populace at large and actually dosen't 'secure' anything, right?

I don't have to be happy about hundreds of millions of tax dollars being spent for "security" when it's so easily broken by rank amateurs, though.

Expensive doesn't equal secure. In both cases we'd have been better served by dogs. They're a whole lot cheaper and a whole lot smarter than DHS (and probably a whole lot nicer, too).

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to goalieskates
Hopefully they drop the criminal trespass charges. All he was seeking was assistance.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to goalieskates
Why did the Jet Ski sink?

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
One of the terrorists he was with shot at him, missed him, and sank the jet ski!

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 recommendation

"The Port Authority says that it is reviewing the incident. The PA also said that it plans to meet with PIDS maker Raytheon this week about the breach.

It says the system exceeds federal standards, but an expedited review has been ordered.

Castillo was charged with criminal trespass. Sources told Fox 5 News that Castillo had snails in his shoes when he was booked."

»www.myfoxny.com/story/19258048/s···h-at-jfk

Turn him over to the SPCA for not bringing the garlic and butter, or Immigration for bringing in illegal Jamaican Bay mud snails.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

wxboss
This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Smoke screen & cover up. As if anyone is surprised.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to goalieskates
Was his name Bond? James Bond?

--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Name Game

quote:
Castillo was charged with criminal trespass. Sources told Fox 5 News that Castillo had snails in his shoes when he was booked."
What the fuck???

YOU NEED ASSISTANCE AND GET TREATED LIKE THIS??

THEY FUCKED UP NOT HIM!!

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

1 recommendation

said by Dude111:

quote:
What the fuck???

THEY FUCKED UP NOT HIM!!

He jumped an 8 foot tall fence at one of the busiest airports in the world and walked across the tarmac. I'm a little surprised he wasn't just shot on sight.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Or, get sucked into a jet engine, or have his ass run over.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

1 recommendation

reply to goalieskates

Re: Stranded jet-skier saunters through JFK safeguards

Upon following my grandfather around in one of the major NY area airports we may have found ourselves behind the secure checkpoints.

Security theatre to keep everyday citizen in line: Success.
Actual security to thwart off terrorists: Will likely fail when it's put to an actual test.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada

3 recommendations

reply to goalieskates
$1,000,000,000 super committee review coming up.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
said by EUS:

$1,000,000,000 super committee review coming up.

I like that on EUS..good call

wxboss
This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Oedipus

Re:  

said by Oedipus:

said by Dude111:

quote:
What the fuck???

THEY FUCKED UP NOT HIM!!

He jumped an 8 foot tall fence at one of the busiest airports in the world and walked across the tarmac. I'm a little surprised he wasn't just shot on sight.

Shoot first...ask questions later. Great policy for public airports.

The problem is that they didn't catch him in the act. It's a little difficult to shoot a target you don't even know exists.
--
"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act." --- G. K. Chesterton

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to goalieskates

Re: Stranded jet-skier saunters through JFK safeguards

He swam three miles and then climbed the fence and walked across two runways and then approached a Delta worker on the tarmac near a gate.

The original article (not the Fox news article) said this:

"The highly touted PIDS system, which was first announced in 2009, has proven to be a boondoggle, having never fully come online after a series of troubling delays.

“The Port Authority PBA has been concerned about the failure of
the PIDS system for quite some time. We have brought this to the attention of former Executive Director Chris Ward, who failed to act,” Robert Egbert, spokesman for the PA PBA."

What is outrageous here is that he was arrested and charged with trespass. His only alternative was to drown along with his jet ski. Of course, he and his friends were acting stupid macho after having drinks at a local watering hole as they decided to race each other. His friends did not realize that his ski broke down and that they had left him behind. He then called his girlfriend who promised to send someone to tow him in who never showed up, thus, he swam the three miles.

If the details in the original article are correct then he had no choice except maybe call his girl friend again as the ski sank deeper? Charging him with trespass is absurd.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

3 recommendations

reply to goalieskates
Publicly embarrass a leading, well-connected defense contractor? A distinct no-no. Publicly embarrass anything related to Homeland Security? A very distinct no-no. Publicly embarrass both at the same time? You're toast! I have a strong suspicion it's soon going to suck to be him...
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

quote:
It startled him even more when just after he was awarded the Galactic Institute's Prize for Extreme Cleverness he got lynched by a rampaging mob of respectable physicists DHS agents who had finally realized that the one thing they really couldn't stand was a smartass.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Douglas Adams
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

He swam three miles and then climbed the fence and walked across two runways and then approached a Delta worker on the tarmac near a gate.

The original article (not the Fox news article) said this:

"The highly touted PIDS system, which was first announced in 2009, has proven to be a boondoggle, having never fully come online after a series of troubling delays.

“The Port Authority PBA has been concerned about the failure of
the PIDS system for quite some time. We have brought this to the attention of former Executive Director Chris Ward, who failed to act,” Robert Egbert, spokesman for the PA PBA."

What is outrageous here is that he was arrested and charged with trespass. His only alternative was to drown along with his jet ski. Of course, he and his friends were acting stupid macho after having drinks at a local watering hole as they decided to race each other. His friends did not realize that his ski broke down and that they had left him behind. He then called his girlfriend who promised to send someone to tow him in who never showed up, thus, he swam the three miles.

If the details in the original article are correct then he had no choice except maybe call his girl friend again as the ski sank deeper? Charging him with trespass is absurd.

I am guessing the arrest is vital to security theater......
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I am wondering why there are only four news articles about this incident: FoxNews, The Daily Mail, Gothamist and the original article in the New York Post.

»news.google.com/news/story?q=str···kQqgIwAA
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

they do not want the fact that millions of dollars of tax money was completely wasted on a sensor system defeated by a guy with wet clothing and a leaking jet ski...

$100,000 in equipment could do better than that(ie a bunch of Police Impalas to drive around the perimeter roads with a guy holding a radio to call things in.)

the TSA and DHS could not secure a concrete room with one door.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
3 out of 4 of those are comic books (I don't know anything about the 'Gothamist'), so maybe it didn't actually happen like that?

The photo on the Gothamist (caption: "Casillo was wearing a bright yellow life jacket like the one above") isn't very inspiring either.

Yeah, yeah, I know: don't shoot the messenger. But surely when no respectable news organ has the story, it tells us something.

Spy
Premium
join:2001-09-22
NE
reply to goalieskates
that wasn't me. I was busy watching the bourne supremacy movie that night.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I am wondering why there are only four news articles about this incident: FoxNews, The Daily Mail, Gothamist and the original article in the New York Post.

Because you just let google tell you how many there were instead of you using search terms like jet skier+JFK.. that way you would have found more...then also cause sunday is a slow day...but here is some more.

Call for probe in jet ski JFK breach

The outraged head of the Port Authority police union today demanded an investigation into how a swamped jet skier was able to breach Kennedy Airport’s troubled $100 million security system.

Paul Nunziato, president of the authority’s PBA, will send a letter to PA big Patrick Foye “demanding a PA inspector’s general investigation into the failed Perimeter Intrusion Detection System, the cost over-runs and the relationship between the Port Authority and Raytheon, the vendor,” said Robert Egbert, a PBA spokesman.
The ballyhooed PIDS system, which was first announced in 2009, has proven to be a boondoggle, having never fully come online after a series of delays.

The PA, which runs the airport, says that it has stepped up patrols and is reviewing the incident and that it plans to meet with PIDS maker Raytheon this week about the breach.

a Raytheon rep said, “We are working closely with the Port Authority to determine what happened. “

»www.nypost.com/p/news/local/dema···XlO3UbGM

Last year at JFK there was a huge uproar over that same perimeter fence, when it was knocked out by weather and remained down for days.

New York Port Authority officials tell ABC News this time around they "took immediate action to increase its police presence with round the clock patrols of the facility's perimeter and increased patrols by boat of the surrounding waterway."

"We have called for an expedited review of the incident and a complete investigation to determine how Raytheon's perimeter intrusion detection system-which exceeds federal requirements-could be improved. Our goal is to keep the region's airports safe and secure at all times," the Port Authority said in a statement.

»abcnews.go.com/US/jet-skier-brea···16992190

The way you searched forced google to only look for these terms.."stranded jet skier"

--
Gladiator Security Forum

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

said by Name Game:

The way you searched forced google to only look for these terms.."stranded jet skier"

I did a regular Google search. Google doesn't let you search as you want to anymore. It gives you the search results after maybe three keystrokes. I could keep typing but Google has already found the results after three keystrokes and usually its auto suggestions that appear after just a couple of keystrokes are the same or better than what I intended to type. I didn't do a News search but a regular one (although with Google NO search is a "regular" search anymore) and then when it gave only 4 results that were relevant, I clicked on Google News and that is the url I posted...not the original search.

I just did the original search again and Google is now reporting CBS and Wall Street Journal articles too. But they are a joke. The Wall Street Journal should be ashamed of itself...mickey mouse reporting and all they did was repeat what the original NY Post said. No actual reporting by any of the sources.

What does the weekend have to do with anything? News doesn't wait for Monday morning. This shows we no longer have access to news because no one is reporting.
--

goalieskates
Premium
land of big
reply to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

I wonder if this is the same system in use at Oak Ridge.

I'm still not sure if Oak Ridge's was a Raytheon product, although Raytheon is definitely in OR. But more light reading on their break-in:

Did PIDAS work? Conflicting reports (KNS / Munger)

quote:
National Nuclear Security Administration spokesman Steven Wyatt today said the federal agency stands by previous statements that a sensor on the PIDAS (perimeter intrusion detection and assessment system) triggered the response to Saturday's morning intrusion by peace protesters into the highest-security area at the Y-12 nuclear weapons plant.

There have been multiple reports from members of the Y-12 protective force indicating that there was no alarm triggered by the PIDAS, saying the initial response by security police was prompted by noise from the protesters -- who draped banners and painted messages on the exterior of the Highly Enriched Uranium Materials Facility.
Where's the Oversight at Nuclear Labs? (Project on Government Oversight) (picked up later by HuffPo) (contains multiple links)

quote:
Earlier in 2012, Independent Oversight reviewed the known problem with cameras, sensors, alarms and coordination with the central alarm station and the PIDAS (Perimeter Intrusion Detection and Assessment System) at Y-12. They found serious malfunctions in the system including some alarm systems, cameras and sensors that had been inoperable for nine months.
So both systems had known problems that didn't get fixed. We know now of 2 PIDAS systems bypassed by a nun and a jet-skier. Not bad guys looking to kill thousands by any stretch of the imagination.

DHS=boondoggle.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
Baloney..this link you posted

it only searched for "stranded jet skier" as I stated, since all you did was hit the button for more stories..slow sunday had to do with the obvious..and they were all into the closing olympic thingie.

ht tps://news.google.com/news/story?q=stranded+jet+skier&hl=en&lr=&prmd=imvnsu&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1169&bih=895&noj=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dIR2k-Ssm-2VVpMPhcKAyBgPPgojM&sa=X&ei=9Z8oUMjNIdDy2gWU8IBA&ved=0CBkQqgIwAA

And google certainly does let you search for what one wants..I do it all the time

so how many do you get here
»www.google.com/search?q=Daniel+C···&bih=746

(Page 10 of about 2,880 results (0.27 seconds))

--
Gladiator Security Forum

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to dave
said by dave:

3 out of 4 of those are comic books (I don't know anything about the 'Gothamist'), so maybe it didn't actually happen like that?

Just like ABC, NBC, and CBS too.

It is more like the three mentioned above don't want to bring light to the current administrations waste of tax payer money since they seem to be in bed with the current administration.