how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thebigzeus

join:2012-08-12
Wichita, KS

DSl install use existing modem?

Got a friend that just moved and has a NVG510 or IG51X Can it be used for me (a new customer) on AT&T DSL? It says U-verse internet is available in my area.. but its only up to 3mbps. I am assuming this is the dry DSL that is called "U-verse but really isn't.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

said by thebigzeus:

Got a friend that just moved and has a NVG510 or IG51X Can it be used for me (a new customer) on AT&T DSL? It says U-verse internet is available in my area.. but its only up to 3mbps. I am assuming this is the dry DSL that is called "U-verse but really isn't.

In the first place, "U-verse" is just a product brand of AT&T. If AT&T says it is, "U-verse", then "U-verse" it is. That aside ...

U-verse is available in two "flavors":

• VDSL, served from neighborhood VRADs.
• ADSL2+, served from the CO.

Nearly as I can tell (I am no longer an AT&T customer), ADSL2+ (IPDSLAM) "U-verse" is not compatible with generic ADSL2+ modems due to AT&T using some newfangled 802.(%Something%) authentication only available with AT&T-issue modems. Because it is served from the CO it is available on longer loops, such as the 9,156 ft loop at my old residence. Alas, past about 7,500 feet, or so, ADSL2+ speeds are about the same as ADSL speeds; at my 9,156 ft from the CO, "U-verse" Internet is only available at the same speed as legacy ADSL: 3.0 Mb/s down, .5 Mb/s up.

Whether that modem is usable depends upon its compatibility with either VDSL, or ADSL2+; and which variety of DSL you can get.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

thebigzeus

Wichita, KS

Thx for the reply, it is an AT&T ADSL modem so I assume it will work. They didn't used to call their ADSL u-verse kinda funny...

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to thebigzeus

if you get the service, be sure to leave the NVG510 on so it can get updates if it hasn't been updated already.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to thebigzeus

said by thebigzeus:

Thx for the reply, it is an AT&T ADSL modem so I assume it will work. They didn't used to call their ADSL u-verse kinda funny...

Please note that there is a difference between ADSL and ADSL2+. I used to have the legacy AT&T ADSL service, which was called, "at&t Yahoo! HSI". When I canceled that service, I replaced it with Sonic.net, LLC "Fusion", an ADSL2+ service on the CO connection. The old AT&T legacy ADSL modem is a SpeedStream 4100. It works on the "Fusion" connection, but the DSLAM falls back to ADSL with that modem. Sonic.net sent me their ZTE 831 ADSL2+ modem, so I do lock an ADSL2+ signal when I use it.

AT&T currently offers U-verse service to the same premises; it will be ADSL2+ (IPDSLAM) service. Neither my SpeedStream 4100 ADSL modem, nor my ZTE 831 ADSL2+ modem will work with AT&T U-verse Internet. Nor will the Motorola NVG510 ADSL2+ modem work with my current Sonic.net ADSL2+ service (or the old, legacy ADSL "at&t Yahoo! HSI" service).

• AT&T legacy ADSL: "at&t Yahoo! HSI".
• AT&T ADSL2+: "U-verse Internet".
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

thebigzeus

Wichita, KS

It's definitely ADSL2+ I was just being lazy and not typing the whole thing. It had service just a few months ago and the modem is only about 6 months old.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to NormanS

At&ts Uverse [ADSL2] is available from RTs... at least around here... and is currently providing my internet and phone services.

My line attenuation is about 45.5 on the downstream.. and I have 6 Meg. [The tech who installed the service said the line was good for about 9 Meg service. This is after the line was conditioned by the techs. ]