Search similar:

uniqs
jimrich
join:2012-08-09
Encino, CA

jimrich

[Siemens] How to configure Siemens 4100 modem

Hello:
I have a Siemens speedstream 4100 Ethernet ADSL modem which came with an AT&T DSL package. I am no longer with AT&T DSL but am now with DSL Extreme ISP & using the same modem and filters from AT&T. The Siemens modem works just fine with my new DSL ISP. I want to configure the Siemens modem but Internet Explorer browser can not connect with it using the »speedstream URL. I have searched the web to find out how to connect with the Siemens but can find nothing that works so far. Do I need to update the Firmware in the Siemens modem. The "reset" button on back of modem is not there and covered with a white strip or label where it might have once been.
My OP is winxp home ed. sp3
thanks
jim

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
446.4 4.0

1 edit

1 recommendation

sashwa

Mod

I think this is the address you need »192.168.0.1 . That should get you into the modem hopefully.

This might help you: »AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ »Where are the Line Stats in a 5100b or 4100?

What are you trying to do?
jimrich
Encino, CA

jimrich

to sashwa
RE: What are you trying to do?
>> trying to run diagnostics on my modem as layed out in the Siemens PDF manual:
To establish a connection from your computer to theRouter:
1. After installing the Router, start your computer. If your computer is already running, reboot it.
2. Open yourInternet ExplorerorNetscapeNavigator Web browser.
3. In the Addressbar, enter the default router IP address: »speedstreamand press Enter. This
displays the “Gateway Administrator Setup” window.

>>>When I use the manuals method, I.E. can not dispay the page so I can not get into the modem as described in their manual. It's all very strange so far! This is just part of a larger effort to improve the DSL performance of my system or ISP.
thank you for being interested,
jim

dslx_steve
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Winnetka, CA

dslx_steve

Premium Member

If I understand correctly, you have a router and the Speedstream and you want to get into the modem's config. If so, you will have to bypass the router (assuming you haven't done so already) and connect the modem directly to one of your computers. After doing that, you need to configure your computer with a static IP. Let us know what OS you are using and we can give you the specific steps but generally, you want to set up the network properties for your local area connection with the static IP of 192.168.0.2, default gateway of 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

You should than be able to connect to the modem. Make sure you remove the static config and reconnect your router after you're done.
emsvitil
join:2008-06-12
Inglewood, CA

emsvitil to jimrich

to jimrich
Probably don't need to set a static IP.

Connect PC directly to modem via ethernet cable

XP run 'cmd'
Windows 7 type 'cmd' into search box at bottom left then click it above
Vista ??? don't know if it's llike XP or 7

When you get your little CMD window type in
ipconfig

default gateway is the ip address of the modem

type in the ip address into a browser.
jimrich
Encino, CA

2 edits

jimrich

emsvitil:
re: When you get your little CMD window type in
ipconfig default gateway is the ip address of the modem
type in the ip address into a browser.
>>> The DOS window shows the Default gateway as 76.213.xxx.xx (???) Typed into I.E. browser address bar and it
brings me to:
»search.yahoo.com/search? ··· 3.xxx.xx
LOL, nothing on that page pertains to my modem!

Fortunately I have the correct IP right on the bottom of the Siemens modem/router.

re: Connect PC directly to modem via ethernet cable
>>> That is the way the Siemens has always been connected.
emsvitil
join:2008-06-12
Inglewood, CA

emsvitil

If you have an internet connection, the default gateway is the internet IP address.

I've always setup the modem before connecting to the internet.....

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Based on what you're describing, your modem is currently in "Bridge" mode, which makes it effectively invisible to your computer unless and until you assign a static IP to your computer. It's also possible that resetting the Speedstream may knock it out of Bridge mode and into a different default setting.

You are currently running into a physical issue with very poor sync (low downstream noise margin and bitrate), so unless the Speedstream itself is damaged and needs to be replaced, I doubt changing anything about it will noticeably improve performance. However, if you wish to persist with such:

Click on Start.
Click on Run (or in the Search text box).
Type in "ncpa.cpl" (without quotes) and hit Enter.
Right-click on Local Area Connection and select Properties.
Highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP (if you see more than one entry of this type, select the IPv4 one) and click Properties.
Change the radio button selection from "Obtain an IP address automatically" to use the following:
IP: 192.168.0.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

This will automatically force the DNS from Automatic to Manual as well, so if those are blank then put in the following DNS entries:

Click Ok, then Close.

You may need to restart your computer for that change to take effect (especially if it's a Windows XP system). After doing such, open a browser window (such as Internet Explorer) and type 192.168.0.1/statistics.htm (or just 192.168.0.1) in the address bar.

I expect you'll see much the same readings I previously PM'd over to you, allowing for some fluctuation since the line's currently effectively uncapped but running at max capacity. If you can borrow another modem, that would help test if it's a problem with the Speedstream itself; otherwise, I'd recommend a dispatch at this point.
jimrich
Encino, CA

jimrich to dslx_steve

to dslx_steve
re: If I understand correctly, you have a router and the Speedstream

>>> Nope, just a Siemens modem! Not sure how the term "router' got mixed into here!?!

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

1 recommendation

wayjac to jimrich

MVM

to jimrich
It's likley the speedstream pdf manual you have is for a router version of the speedstream
at&t never issued/used the router version of the speedstream
said by jimrich:

The "reset" button on back of modem is not there and covered with a white strip or label where it might have once been

The factory reset button is covered by a white strip which can be removed or a hole can be punched through the paper
/r0/download/1033969~dacdfa0b2a60c534ce5e9599556c28f0/rear4100.jpg

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

1 edit

dslx_nick to jimrich

ISP Employee

to jimrich
said by jimrich:

re: If I understand correctly, you have a router and the Speedstream

>>> Nope, just a Siemens modem! Not sure how the term "router' got mixed into here!?!

"to sashwa
RE: What are you trying to do?
>> trying to run diagnostics on my modem as layed out in the Siemens PDF manual:
To establish a connection from your computer to theRouter:
1. After installing the Router, start your computer. If your computer is already running, reboot it.
2. Open yourInternet ExplorerorNetscapeNavigator Web browser.
3. In the Addressbar, enter the default router IP address: »speedstreamand press Enter. This
displays the Gateway Administrator Setup window."

Sometimes documentation will incorrectly refer to a modem as a router. To further confuse the issue, some modems are combo modem/routers which only have one output port and no wireless (so really, they can only support a single computer unless you introduce another networking device to split the line), and other modems are combo modem/routers with multiple output ports and wifi capability.

What gets REALLY fun is when you have a combo modem/router linked to a second router... =x

EdT
join:2009-06-12
Saint-Laurent, QC

1 edit

EdT to jimrich

to jimrich
The SpeedStream 4100/4200 is indeed a modem/router !

You just need to use a inexpensive multi-port switch to use it on multiple computers. It can in fact route up to 254 separate computers ! This is where most people get confused when they use the 4100/4200 with a router which will not work unless they change the 4100/4200 into a bridge mode modem ! With whats available on the retail market today I would be hard press to find a wireless switch if you want a wireless network !

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

One tactic which usually works, if you've got a single-port combo modem/router and a multi-port (probably wifi too) router, is to configure the combo modem/router for the connection type (whether DHCP or PPPoE), and then configure the multi-port router to DHCP... BUT you have to make sure that each device has a unique IP.

Many (but certainly not all!) modems and routers default to 192.168.1.1, which means if you have both the modem and router using the same IP (for example, 192.168.1.1) then this won't work - you'll need to go into one or the other and configure it to use a different IP. The Speedstream in this thread, for example, is using a default gateway of 192.168.0.1, so as long as the wifi router is NOT using the same IP of 192.168.0.1, then this would work. Airport routers, for example, typically use 10.0.0.1 for their gateway IP, so you could use an Airport router (set to DHCP) with the above Speedstream modem (set to DHCP or PPPoE as appropriate) with no problems.

You'll also need to pay attention to the DHCP leases being 'passed on' to the later devices, including your computers. If your modem is set to 192.168.1.1, for example, that usually means it's going to assign 192.168.1.2 to the next device in line (the router). Therefore, it's important to make sure that the router does NOT try to assign 192.168.1.2 to any computers! Make sure to check/update the DHCP IP range that the router is giving to your computers (by default, many routers will have a DHCP IP range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 or thereabouts, so you'd want to edit it to, say, 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254).

Frankly, I usually find it faster and easier to just set the modem into Bridge mode, and configure the router normally. In some rare cases, however, we've run into modems that just refuse to go into Bridge mode - which makes the above option a bit more pertinent, as long as the modem itself at least can authenticate and get online.

(Btw, we did fix Jim's line issue a while back, but posting just to provide some (hopefully) useful generic info on for anyone that happens to be reading)

EdT
join:2009-06-12
Saint-Laurent, QC

EdT

For the record, the SS4100/4200 with crippled Bhell firmware uses 192.168.2.2 as the default IP and 192.168.2.1 as the gateway while the same retail version of this modem with the generic Siemens firmware uses 92.168.254.1 as the default IP and 192.168.254.254 as the gateway.