owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to JoelC707

Re: [Connectivity] Just Got Blast - How Are My Levels?

Everything is behind walls. There is no access except at the wall plates. I'm not sure, but I think it's RG59. Looks too thin to be 6. The run could be 100 feet, but I doubt it.

I could have Comcast create a separate run from the demark outside the house, behind a downspout, and into the room where the modem is. But, is there any problem just leaving the amp in place? So far, everything seems to be working with the amp in place (I'll know better on the next really hot day). The only problem I can see is if there is a power failure, I would lose phone and internet because the amp lost power, but I could get a barrel connector to use in such an emergency, and connect the incoming line from the demark directly to the line that goes to the modem. This would eliminate one -3.5 db splitter, and should be okay. Won't be able to watch TV anyway...

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

I wouldn't normally recommend this but I'm going to say run with the amp for a while. It doesn't really seem to be doing anything bad so leave it in and see what happens.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by JoelC707:

I wouldn't normally recommend this but I'm going to say run with the amp for a while. It doesn't really seem to be doing anything bad so leave it in and see what happens.

Thanks. Unless someone makes a convincing argument otherwise, I'm inclined to leave it be. TVs are all working fine, too. I tried putting a 75 ohm terminator on the open port on the amp, but it made my levels worse, so I removed it. Don't understand why that would happen, but whatever works...

I also am not running the coax through the UPS, as all that did was degrade the signal further. Any lightning surges coming in on the coax should be caught at the ground block anyway (one hopes).