dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

4 edits

bohratom to SoCalDude

to SoCalDude

Re: [HD] HD Set-top box rental fee increased?

said by SoCalDude:

$12 for a digital adapter is ridiculous.

Yep even in Jersey they increased the price for the digital adapter from $3.99 to $5.99 which is only a dollar cheaper then the HD stb. I guess they want everyone to have the stb so they can gorge more money from the on-demand/ppv.

So I returned the two digital adapters and Im now using a trick on 2 tvs to save. I have 2 HD stb boxes feeding two tvs each (one HD, one std) and then I use a IR repeater for the remote. Of course you have to watch the same program on both TV's but it works great for the bedroom and computer-room tv's as they are only used if the main hdtv's are not.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by bohratom:

said by SoCalDude:

$12 for a digital adapter is ridiculous.

Yep even in Jersey they increased the price for the digital adapter from $3.99 to $5.99 which is only a dollar cheaper then the HD stb. I guess they want everyone to have the stb so they can gorge more money from the on-demand/ppv.

So I returned the two digital adapters and Im now using a trick on 2 tvs to save. I have 2 HD stb boxes feeding two tvs each (one HD, one std) and then I use a IR repeater for the remote. Of course you have to watch the same program on both TV's but it works great for the bedroom and computer-room tv's as they are only used if the main hdtv's are not.

I do something similar in my living room and kitchen. Have an HD STB in the living room, use component to that tv and then run HDMI through the wall to the kitchen tv.