Southwest LA
kudos:3
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: anyone use the NEST thermostat?

Our schedule is not locked in stone.
My wife has a rotating 12 work shift.
I get home at different times.
My kid gets home at the same time.

As for my utility bill, last years June was cooler then this June.
As for the ROI, I expect less then 18 months.
It doesn't have outdoor sensors, but it does use the weather conditions sent to it via wifi (zip code based information). (The app will indicate outdoor temperatures).

The nest does also give you a Time to set Temperature, IE if I come home, and it is set to 75, and I move it down to 73, it will indicate 1 hr. I have it set to change from 73 to 76 at 10pm, and I know for a fact when I check it at 930, the temp will be 74/75.

IMHO I think the nest looks great compared to the "norm/standard" digital thermostats, ..
»tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress···pg?w=444
looks better then
»store.ourhomespaces.com/product_···zoom.jpg
--
Getting it Done.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

2 edits
said by Daarken:

Our schedule is not locked in stone.
My wife has a rotating 12 work shift.
I get home at different times.
My kid gets home at the same time.

Then aside from your kid getting home at the same time, the Nest will not be able to learn the pattern as there is no pattern (I doubt it will detect a 12 different shift sequence mixed in with you and your kid).

At that point, manual setting and discipline/habit is the key.

said by Daarken:

IMHO I think the nest looks great compared to the "norm/standard" digital thermostats, ..

I find it looks SOOO out of place on a wall, especially when you compare to normal "controls" found on walls such as NORMAL thermostats, alarm system panels and light switches. A white panel with a large touch screen would have been better to match the rest of what walls have.

I mean, iPhones looks great right? Now glue one to a wall and tell me it looks nice on a wall (Black iPhones in this example).

PS - I'm google image searching for a picture of a nest installed in a room, not just a picture of a nest with a wall behind it.

Here's a REAL non marketing photo
»d1hjmemiiim074.cloudfront.net/wp···x459.jpg

Looks like a wall-zit

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to ArgMeMatey
said by ArgMeMatey:

2. It won't save you money if you tweak your settings or if it learns from users who put comfort ahead of savings.

I thought the sole reason for climate control (Heating and Cooling) was comfort and health.

As I've said many times before I heat to 72, 24/7 and cool to 75, 24/7.

I am not so financially destitute that I have to be uncomfortable in my later years just to save a very few dollars if any in reality.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to Krisnatharok
My mom actually bought one. It's pricey but it's quite nice. Most importantly, she loves it.

In terms of hardware it's the nicest thermostat I've ever seen. Very slick, intuitive knob control. Beautiful, clear display that lights up automatically when you walk up to it. It can use this sensor as an occupancy sensor to figure out when you're not home (you can disable it if that doesn't make sense based on where it's located)

Another neat feature is that it can charge itself even if you don't have a COM wire available.

On the downside, it's "Apple-esque" in that there aren't a lot of tweak able parameters. I would like to see more "advanced" settings (maybe only accessible from wifi) to be able to take more advantage of the hardware. It also does not support 2 stage AC (no Y2 hookup).

-- Rob
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

I thought the sole reason for climate control (Heating and Cooling) was comfort and health.

I am not so financially destitute that I have to be uncomfortable in my later years just to save a very few dollars if any in reality.

Jack! What took you so long?

Clearly, you are not the customer the Nest is looking for.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by ArgMeMatey:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Jack! What took you so long?

Clearly, you are not the customer the Nest is looking for.

Reading all these comments I just couldn't resist. My wife and I are both home all the time so there is no reason to nor do we want to vary our temperature. Right now in my computer room it's 75.4 degrees. Very comfortable. We have a programmable thermostat but don't use it. run it in manual set mode. Outside temp according to my NOAA readout is 76.8. Not bad for August 13.

Heck after a lifetime dealing with the high tech process controls and powerhouse operation with co-generation I'm burned out on technology. I don't even turn my cell phone on unless it's a necessity. I refuse to be a slave to a smart phone having to walk, eat and live with one in my hand. I get a kick out of my two son-in-laws. They are eat up with it. Every waking minute they are doing something with them.

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Daarken
It needs to come with a remote sensor before it would work for a lot of people. My thermostat is in the dining room which gets used maybe twice a month and might get walked through three times a week.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to Krisnatharok
If you're going to spend that much on a thermostat, I would recommend the Ecobee instead. It gives the user much finer-grain control over the system, and is compatible with virtually anything. I went with the Ecobee because the Nest didn't include controls for my humidifier.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by pike:

If you're going to spend that much on a thermostat, I would recommend the Ecobee instead. It gives the user much finer-grain control over the system, and is compatible with virtually anything. I went with the Ecobee because the Nest didn't include controls for my humidifier.

What do you mean by "finer-grain" control over the system? There are many variables in maintaining stable temperatures in a home and a thermostat is only one part of it.

I'm interested in knowing if you've found a better "mousetrap".

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
A list of features from the ecobee

•Full-colour touchscreen display
•Internet enabled
•Secure online Web Portal for remote management and diagnostics
•Free over-the-air software upgrades
•Lives weather feed
•3H/2C (Conventional)
•4H/2C (Heat Pump)
•365 Day scheduling
•7-day programmable
•Vacation programming
•Auto-changeover
•Humidifier, dehumidifer and ventilator control
•Contractor branded alerts and maintenance reminders
•Free smart phone app
•Built-in WiFi (b/g)
•Humidity Sensing
•Humidity Control
•Downloadable system reports

Now that's a lot of control.
I wonder if you can set multiple temperatures based on humidity levels. For example, if the air is humid, it will be set to cool down a lot more since humid air feels warmer. Then when the humidity level dropped after a couple of hours of running the AC, it adjusts to a slightly higher temperature so people don't feel like it's freezing. I'm not talking about the humidifier/dehumidifer control.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
All that may satisfy those who need a lot of technology whether it's really a necessity or not.

For me all I need is an accurate thermostat that keeps the set temperature I want. I can remember to change the filters once a month but as a backup I have it on my online calender.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
said by Jack_in_VA:

All that may satisfy those who need a lot of technology whether it's really a necessity or not.

For me all I need is an accurate thermostat that keeps the set temperature I want. I can remember to change the filters once a month but as a backup I have it on my online calender.

Finer-grain =/= necessity

Finer-grain = more details and/or more control

Technically, all we'd NEED is an analog thermostat

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Daarken
said by Daarken:

It provides you usage reports.

Do the usage reports show separate hours of runtime for W1, W2, and Y1? aka Heat 1, Heat 2, Cooling? Do they indicate run start/stop time-of-day?

Those would be useful in plotting runtime vs. time of day, and figuring the ratio of runtime per degree day in a zoned system. I haven't found anything with a sophisticated enough system to give me useful usage reports in a zoned system.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb