All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
AhnFire
join:2004-07-22
Scarsdale, NY

AhnFire

[OOL] Is HPNA 3.1 compatible with optonline service?

I was using MoCA (because my house is wired for coax and not ethernet), to extend my network to other rooms (wifi does not work for me for HD streaming). However, for various reasons, my MoCA adapter no longer connects to the main room I need it.

Hi heard HPNA does better with longer runs, but may be incompatible with DOCSIS. I guess I could drag an ethernet cable over to another cable run that is not on the same split as the modem, but does anyone have any experience with this?

I was looking at this product: »www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· KIKX0DER
optimumdude
join:2007-06-20
Wayne, NJ

optimumdude

You should try ethernet over powerline adapters. I have been using them for years and they work great.

»www.amazon.com/Gigabit-P ··· owerline
AhnFire
Scarsdale, NY

AhnFire

said by optimumdude:

You should try ethernet over powerline adapters. I have been using them for years and they work great.

»www.amazon.com/Gigabit-P ··· owerline

I do have powerline (zyxel 500mbps), but the throughput is much slower (about 1/2) of what I was getting with MoCA. I heard HPNA gets much less loss, due to its low frequency. From what I was able to read, it is the low frequency that messes with the DOCSIS cable modems.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to AhnFire

to AhnFire
I would just wire your house for Ethernet. Its not difficult and you can get the wire for cheap from monoprice.

It will probably be cheaper then buying all these adapters.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to AhnFire

to AhnFire
said by AhnFire:

I guess I could drag an ethernet cable over to another cable run that is not on the same split as the modem,

What's that about a split for Ethernet???
AhnFire
Scarsdale, NY

AhnFire

said by Bob4:

said by AhnFire:

I guess I could drag an ethernet cable over to another cable run that is not on the same split as the modem,

What's that about a split for Ethernet???

That was only in reference to the HPNA/DOCSIS conflict. I really do want to wire the house for ethernet, it's just that it's a townhouse, meaning long and narrow (neighbors on both sides). I have a finished basement and no attic, so I have to cut holes through several studs and/or joists to do it (can't have wires all over the place). Anyway, if I am going to get new wires run, I will run both RG6 and cat5/6, I was just trying to avoid hiring an electrician (i'm not going to drill and fish all those walls myself, need to run a few hundred feet of wire).
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

I'd think that most townhouses are small enough that WiFi would work easily.

Or you could run just a single CAT5 cable to the other side of the townhouse, and connect that to a switch (for wired devices) or wireless access point or both.
AhnFire
Scarsdale, NY

AhnFire

So I guess no experience with HPNA (seems like it's not really a US thing I think). Oh well, I fixed my MoCA by creating 2 short MoCA runs instead having 3 on a long line (I had an unused adapter and a switch was already near the middle).

Once I free up a little disposable income, I will run cat6 up and down (3rd fl to basement) and get a new RG6 run as well. I am not a wifi fan, so I only use it for portable devices, nothing plugged into power.

rtbond
join:2007-11-28
Hopatcong, NJ

rtbond

I have no first hand experience, but I thought AT&T U-Verse uses HPNA over Coax for some deployments to reach the STB from the Residential Gateway (where the U-Verse VDSL2 signal terminates). I mention this only in that there may be some experienced users in the AT&T U-Verse forum, although I am not sure they would be able to comment on co-existence with a CATV/DOCSIS signal.
AhnFire
Scarsdale, NY

AhnFire

Ah... thank and that makes sense. Oh well, I got my connection up and running again. Hopefully that solves the issue until I can get the wiring sorted.