share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8
reply to NormanS

Re: how do i lose signal when I have cable tv?

The rotary ("step") switches, yes. (I've not seen one in over 20 years.) However, the wire behind them is, in *many* places, still there today. No one ever goes in and rips out all the wire in a CO -- that would be very expensive and disruptive to customers; 'tho they do build new COs and then switch over. Nor do they ever pull up the cable they trenched decades ago. (they leave that to the DOT to "accidentally" drag up. )

There's telco cabling here in Raleigh, NC that's as old as that video. (24AWG to boot. DSL on those lines is FANTASTIC.) The cable to my parent's house (rural NC) was replaced in the late 70's after the DOT dug up several hundred feet of it; and a section was replaced in the 90's when the water company cut it (cable location was incorrectly marked.) The rest of the cable is as old as that video; the CO was rebuilt around 1985 and the old rotary CO leveled. (it's an empty lot today.)

mackey

join:2007-08-20
kudos:6
reply to ATT_TECH

said by ATT_TECH :

Why anybody would ever use that janky service is beyond me.

Because it's $cheap$. No matter how bad or slow it is, people will still buy it if the price's right.

/M

Ender3rd

join:2001-07-15
Connecticut

Also, ATT has done an excellent marketing job that convinces people that the Uverse product is AMAZING! Big on promises but short on delivery, at least in my neighborhood. A friend down the street was soooooo happy to finally get Uverse installed. The first evening he was greeted with tiling, audio dropouts, picture freezing, and other wonderful effects. When a picture was actually delivered it had all the quality of VHS tape. He also enjoyed how the picture would freeze for an instant whenever his phone rang. He lasted about a week with several unsatisfactory attempts by techs to correct all the issues, then he initiated the service removal project with ATT. Ah well, you live and learn.
--
Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them. (Charlie Reese)

retired17
Premium
join:2007-01-24
Anaheim, CA
reply to Jeff B

Your Uverse TV signals are sent over the same two wires that your telephone is connected to. If there is a huge distance between where the Uverse signals are placed on the two wires and your location then there will be attenuation or weakening of the signal. A weak signal is evidently the cause of your problems. Other posters have complained the salesperson said their distance would not cause problems but that wasn't the case. They would promise you anything to get you to sign-up.

myersw

join:2008-07-12
Huntington Woods, MI
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

said by WhyMe420:

lol @ you taking me literally. Point was most of the lines are old and barely kept up.

I still dispute that. If U-verse is available, AT&T has spent capital on infrastructure upgrades. They might skimp on F1 spans where U-verse isn't offered, and F2 spans which aren't tied to VRADS. But if there is U-verse, the copper has been worked over. As I said, AT&T upgraded the F2 span in my old neighborhood. Replaced a 50-pair span with a 100-pair span to allow enough pairs for pair-bonded IPDSLAM service.

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
reply to Ender3rd

said by Ender3rd:

Also, ATT has done an excellent marketing job that convinces people that the Uverse product is AMAZING! Big on promises but short on delivery, at least in my neighborhood. A friend down the street was soooooo happy to finally get Uverse installed. The first evening he was greeted with tiling, audio dropouts, picture freezing, and other wonderful effects. When a picture was actually delivered it had all the quality of VHS tape. He also enjoyed how the picture would freeze for an instant whenever his phone rang. He lasted about a week with several unsatisfactory attempts by techs to correct all the issues, then he initiated the service removal project with ATT. Ah well, you live and learn.

Yes all that is true, in my neighborhood at&t also used peer-pressure. We had a very popular and pushy neighbor selling uverse to the rest of us.

Probably he made a small fortune in referral money as many of us used his code to sign up with uverse. Needles to say when the problems that you mentioned started to pop up everybody went back to cable and/or satTV.

Basically he betrayed us for 30 pieces of silver and he no longer is popular, it is amazing how fast you can change your perception of someone.

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
reply to myersw

said by myersw:

said by NormanS:

said by WhyMe420:

lol @ you taking me literally. Point was most of the lines are old and barely kept up.

I still dispute that. If U-verse is available, AT&T has spent capital on infrastructure upgrades. They might skimp on F1 spans where U-verse isn't offered, and F2 spans which aren't tied to VRADS. But if there is U-verse, the copper has been worked over. As I said, AT&T upgraded the F2 span in my old neighborhood. Replaced a 50-pair span with a 100-pair span to allow enough pairs for pair-bonded IPDSLAM service.

I know many parts of Texas that have uverse (internet only) that never received any 'infrastructure' upgrades. One day at&t decided to switch all of their ADSL users to uverse internet without doing anything to their lines.

Some of those places are Corpus Christi and the rio grande valley area.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

Cable tv is transmitted using a combination fiber coax system.

So yes, Uverse IS cable tv, only it used ancient twisted pair coax instead of the newer stuff cable uses, and they cheap out on their installs.

And uverse uses iptv

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04
reply to myersw

in most areas they never connected to any of the new cable that a contractor installed it is like this all over. you are right they did run the backbone cable but without connecting most of it what the use

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

Cable tv is transmitted using a combination fiber coax system.

So yes, Uverse IS cable tv, only it used ancient twisted pair coax instead of the newer stuff cable uses, and they cheap out on their installs.

And uverse uses iptv

Coax is almost as old as twisted pair! First patented within five years of Alexander G. Bell's telephony patent.

ADSL, OTOH is almost as new as DOCSIS; also just a few years apart.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

DRNewcomb

join:2012-07-25
Long Beach, MS

said by NormanS:

Coax is almost as old as twisted pair! First patented within five years of Alexander G. Bell's telephony patent.

Yeah but twisted pair goes back to the days of the telegraph.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by DRNewcomb:

said by NormanS:

Yeah but twisted pair goes back to the days of the telegraph.

Not. Telegraph didn't require any twist in the pair at all.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum