how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

What happens now to the Olympic Channels?

Do they get replaced with regular channels are just go away. I am thinking they go away as they probably used the space from Goal Line and the RedZone and now that the Olympics are over they'll need that space back.

CrobertGauth

join:2007-12-15
Glen Burnie, MD
RedZone was already there so no need for it.

dimi1963

join:2001-12-27
Union, NJ
reply to Acct101
Maybe they'll use it for beIN Sport two channels launching the 15th. Wishfull thinking

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Acct101
There are already more than a ton of sports channels. I wish they would separate all the sports channels out and create a sports tier. Then the people that want them can get them, and the people that don't would not be forced to pay for them as part of their package.

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA
reply to Acct101
I don't think they did anything with the (one or two? I remember a hockey channel but not sure if there was a second) added channels from the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11
reply to Acct101
My guess is more FiO$ on demand sales slots, you don't expect them to be used by Verizon to benefit us do you?
--
Was a Cruise Fanatic, one cruise on Princess cured me. Bleah

celticpride

@verizon.net
reply to aaronwt
I would agree with aaronwt as long as they had every sports channel and sports package (nba league pass for example) IN HIGH DEFINITION!

URFloorMatt

join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
reply to blue_trooper
said by blue_trooper:

I don't think they did anything with the (one or two? I remember a hockey channel but not sure if there was a second) added channels from the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Actually, there are no channel additions for the Winter Olympics.

We've been told that BBC America and Cartoon Network are on tap for this year. That would account for one of the QAM. Whether the other needs to go back to RedZone and Goal Line is anyone's guess. If not, I suspect they will go to ESPN Deportes and Univision Deportes (which will no doubt spawn further negative reaction at Verizon's selection of new HD channels).

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to Rxdoxx
Except that VOD doesn't require QAM. Those VOD 'channels' take no QAM bandwidth.

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to Acct101
Hoping two of these: BBC America, Cartoon Network, H2, G4, or TCM, all some of the most glaring missings.

johnf2
VHO8
Premium
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA
These HD's would be good in this order: BBA America, TCM, H2 and Cartoon Network. (same list, just switched around a little)
!!! BBC America HD first!!!
--

johnf2
VHO8

join:2012-06-27
New York, NY
reply to Greg2600
For the last time: TCM HD IS NOT IN HIGH DEFINITION. THEY HAVE NEVER AIRED A SINGLE PIECE OF HIGH DEFINITION CONTENT. THEY ARE LITERALLY A 24/7 UPSCALED MATERIAL CHANNEL. PERIOD.

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA
reply to URFloorMatt
said by URFloorMatt:

said by blue_trooper:

Actually, there are no channel additions for the Winter Olympics.

You're right, I'm remembering back to Summer '08

»NBC Olympic channels on Fios now

IIRC nothing took the place of those channels.

Ike1

join:2012-06-02
Newark, NJ
reply to 09129800
said by 09129800:

For the last time: TCM HD IS NOT IN HIGH DEFINITION. THEY HAVE NEVER AIRED A SINGLE PIECE OF HIGH DEFINITION CONTENT. THEY ARE LITERALLY A 24/7 UPSCALED MATERIAL CHANNEL. PERIOD.

I know you're right, but when I had Cablevision, TCM HD still looked pretty darn good to me. I may not have the best eye for this kind of thing, or the most expensive HDTV (a lot of HD purists would scoff at my 720p set) but I loved TCM HD anyway. Could it be better? Yes, definitely. Would I like TCM HD anyway? YES. It's one of the few things I miss about Cablevision. Using the # key on the SD feed on FiOS is not nearly as good.

But I definitely want BBC America HD first. New Doctor Who is coming in just a few weeks. Cartoon Network HD first too, since that has high viewership -- it's only fair. TCM HD later.

javster87

@qwest.net
reply to Acct101
They really need to add bein Sport 1 and 2 NOW! GOL TV is now irrelevant because they are no longer broadcasting any meaningful European soccer games. DirecTV already launched these channels yesterday. If VZ does not add these channels right away, they are going to lose a lot of soccer loving customers.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to 09129800
said by 09129800:

In the beginning that was the case, because the films they had weren't in HD. However, as more of those have been converted to HD for Blu-Ray or other reasons, they show them in "native" 1080i.

said by blue_trooper:

You're right, I'm remembering back to Summer '08

»NBC Olympic channels on Fios now

IIRC nothing took the place of those channels.

I think MSNBC HD was added shortly after that, wasn't it? They didn't have the space issues then.

said by javster87 :

They really need to add bein Sport 1 and 2 NOW! GOL TV is now irrelevant because they are no longer broadcasting any meaningful European soccer games. DirecTV already launched these channels yesterday. If VZ does not add these channels right away, they are going to lose a lot of soccer loving customers.

Here's the problem. Back when "everyone" screamed for FSC HD, Verizon pretty much said it was a low rated channel, and they were ONLY adding it due to customer complaints. They never added FSC Plus HD or GolTV HD, both of which as you said are now neutered. There's not a customer call for European soccer to the level of making Verizon act. MLS, Barclay's and most all international tournaments are broadcast in HD, and that's where the viewership is. While it would make sense for Verizon to dump GolTV, it's not that simple. There are contracts. And it's not Verizon's fault that European soccer is a total mess when it comes to rights held.

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2
reply to johnf2
BBC America HD is now active so scratch that from the Channel Waiting list. LOL

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to Acct101
said by Acct101:

Do they get replaced with regular channels are just go away. I am thinking they go away as they probably used the space from Goal Line and the RedZone and now that the Olympics are over they'll need that space back.

They go away. They are temporary feeds, my cable company offered them back in 2008 as well.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

vectorvictor

join:2012-08-21
reply to Greg2600
Greg, I'd +1 you if there were such a feature.

join:2012-06-27
New York, NY
reply to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

said by 09129800:

In the beginning that was the case, because the films they had weren't in HD. However, as more of those have been converted to HD for Blu-Ray or other reasons, they show them in "native" 1080i.

No. This is still the case. 3 years after TCM HD's launch and they are still upscaling everything for their U.S. feed - this includes all the films in their catalog which have had native high definition transfers for Blu-ray.

Why they do this, I do not know, but it's absolutely ridiculous. The European version of TCM HD actually does air movies in their catalog with HD transfers in native HD. It's only the U.S. version of TCM HD which airs everything in standard definition.

This has been a constant source of annoyance for me and several AVS Forum posters...

PirateJim
Premium
join:2007-07-11
Toms River, NJ
reply to Acct101
Just for the record, I'm still getting test patterns on 594 & 596 ..
Anyone else ?

skohly

join:2009-08-19
Township Of Washington, NJ
said by PirateJim:

Just for the record, I'm still getting test patterns on 594 & 596 ..
Anyone else ?

I am in Bergen County (VHO7)

sbernstein5

join:2005-01-18
10024-5650
Regadless of the state of TCM-HD, there is still a major movie channel which we only have in SD but not HD -- Sundance. I like the more indie-stuff they show there and am bummed that we only get it in SD (even though we actually DO get the HD version of the on-demand channel).

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Acct101
Dude Sundance is horrible now. Used to be great until Rainbow Media bought it. Now it's cut and cropped and constant reruns like IFC.

chitchatjf

join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA
reply to PirateJim
ONE WEEK later and I still do.

icemannyr1

join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ
If FiOS ever going to turn these channels off or add programming to them?

chitchatjf

join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA
reply to Acct101
SEPTEMBER 14th and I'm still getting test patterns on 594 & 596 .

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by chitchatjf:

SEPTEMBER 14th and I'm still getting test patterns on 594 & 596 .

They're just teasing us...
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".

sbernstein5

join:2005-01-18
10024-5650
reply to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

Dude Sundance is horrible now. Used to be great until Rainbow Media bought it. Now it's cut and cropped and constant reruns like IFC.

Oh, I didn't know it was bought by Rainbow! It was owned by Showtime (CBS) the last time I checked. Ever since I gave up TWC and switched to FIOS I haven't looked in on Sundance since I don't have it in HD.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
reply to Acct101
test patterns and ability to tune to channels 594 + 596 has been discontinued.
--
"My hat, my cane, Jeeves".