spc
uniqs

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan to Bob99

to Bob99

Re: Actiontec MI424WR FIOS N Router REV. I

bob you are by and far the exception. From a very practical sense they are no longer needed. The front conveys all the information that 99% of users need. Those that need or want the lights in the back are very much the minority.

Linksys hasn't had lights on the back in a while and most home routers these have ditched led ports on the rear for the very reason posted, they are redundant and simply not needed.

It was a surprise to see that the actiontec still had them.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

1 recommendation

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

said by danclan:

Those that need or want the lights in the back are very much the minority.

Those that specifically don't want the lights there are in the minority as well

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· -2vFLbtc

danclan
Midlothian, VA

danclan to gadgetboyj

to gadgetboyj
said by gadgetboyj:

said by danclan:

Those that need or want the lights in the back are very much the minority.

Those that specifically don't want the lights there are in the minority as well

True but that hasn't really been an issue since they don't include them anymore anyways on most home routers.

Any word anywhere on when or if IPv6 will ever hit the Actiontec's?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Already has. I believe Verizon has some experimental firmware running on those trialing IPv6 in the Verizon network. If not, OpenWRT/DD-WRT has it built-in and also from what I've heard, has support for the newer ActionTecs AND MoCa capabilities being worked on.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Could the Rev I support IPv6 with just a firmware update? I would think a new Actiontec would need to be rolled out..

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Most likely. I've got Rev. D running DD-WRT with IPv6 support. Works just fine and that's with 32M of RAM and a 532Mhz XScale-IXP42x Family rev 2 (v5b) (Intel) CPU. Haven't come across any NAT Table issues yet but the ActionTec has a few Megabytes of unused RAM left. There's some idle RAM it's allocated but not used, so plenty of room.

KCrimson
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY

KCrimson

Premium Member

I apologize in advance for the temporary thread hijack, but I'm curious about DD-WRT running on the Actiontec. Can it run as the primary router identically to the OF, or do you lose features (guide data and CID being the most likely)?
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to WK2

to WK2
In their announcent
»www22.verizon.com/Suppor ··· 8742.htm
they say they will support rev e and above of the MI424WR.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff to KCrimson

MVM,

to KCrimson
said by KCrimson:

I apologize in advance for the temporary thread hijack, but I'm curious about DD-WRT running on the Actiontec. Can it run as the primary router identically to the OF, or do you lose features (guide data and CID being the most likely)?

The MoCA chip is not supported under dd-wrt, so you'll definitely lose guide data, CID on TV, remote management, and VOD.

danclan
Midlothian, VA

1 recommendation

danclan

said by Thinkdiff:

said by KCrimson:

The MoCA chip is not supported under dd-wrt, so you'll definitely lose guide data, CID on TV, remote management, and VOD.

I wouldnt hold out for MOCA support either within dd-wrt anytime soon, otherwise I imagine a fair number of us would flash over pretty quick. Not all versions are supported which further complicates it.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

1 recommendation

Smith6612 to Thinkdiff

MVM

to Thinkdiff
It's in the works but taking time. Word has it they already have the MoCA chip running on a revision or two (at least the OpenWRT folks).