dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
tgp1994
join:2010-10-06

tgp1994 to Snowy

to Snowy

Re: Spam email being sent to single contact?

Ivrea seems like a nice place, although I have no connection with it.

Thanks for pointing that out! Where can I go now in figuring out how my full name and father's email was lifted?

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by tgp1994:

Thanks for pointing that out! Where can I go now in figuring out how my full name and father's email was lifted?

I'd start with a Google search.
A few suggestions on the search strings I'd use:
"your name, your email address"
"your name, your dads name"
"your name, your dads name, your email address"
etc...
If your persistent you'll find what you're looking for.
The key thing to come away with though is that you should feel confident that wherever it was gleaned from it wasn't a leak on your own machine. If it were, you'd be having a lot more issues than a monthly email to show for it.
tgp1994

tgp1994

Thanks snowy, that last tidbit of information makes me feel much better. (The fact that I had been charged for itunes purchases from someone in china after I used my debit card at a home depot store is most likely unrelated, right? Those two events, the shopping, and then the charges, occurred about a month prior to the emails.)

I followed your instructions for the searches, although I did not find any good results. In fact, doing a verbatim search for my email didn't return anything...

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by tgp1994:

(The fact that I had been charged for itunes purchases from someone in china after I used my debit card at a home depot store is most likely unrelated, right?

Right.
A lot of harmless but intriguing events go unexplained & that's actually a good thing.
Imagine how boring life would be without it's mysteries.
tgp1994

tgp1994

That's true.

Any other ideas of how this person or thing could have gotten my name and dads email though?

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
Kailua, HI

1 recommendation

Snowy

Premium Member

said by tgp1994:

Any other ideas of how this person or thing could have gotten my name and dads email though?

The contact list of your email account would be a possibility.
I can understand your curiosity but in the scheme of things it's really not a big deal from what I've seen.
tgp1994

tgp1994

Ok, hopefully these emails will taper off.

Thanks for your help, snowy!