AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

Re: Furniture and a power outlet

the hot plates were heating up test samples on a lab counter. We had 3 island units. The original as-built was one breaker per bench. The second time around they mixed and matched the outlets to the breakers.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

said by Jack_in_VA:

What in the heck are you running on the circuit your computer is on? I've never had a breaker trip on anything since I moved in in 1989 especially the circuit my computer, printer and modem is on. Now power failures are quite another matter here.

Older houses tend to have the same circuits for several rooms.

I used to live in an apartment built in 1970. Two of the bedrooms (receptacles and lighting) and one bathroom were on a single 15A breaker.

We both had power-hungry gaming computers, dual monitors, big sound systems, and each had laser printers. Now add to that the fact that the lights were all incandescent. Quite a bit of load all on one 15A circuit. We were tripping the breaker at least once a month. The UPS definitely came in handy.

Kitchen was tripping almost every week. All kitchen and living room outlets on the same 15A circuit.

The other 3 circuits in the apartment were 15A for the 3rd bedroom + living room + hallway receptacles/lights + 2nd bathroom. 15A dedicated for the fridge, and a 40A for the range.

The whole 3-bed 2-bath 1800 sqft apartment on 4x15A+1x40A!!!!

Good thing we didn't have air conditioners or women (they tend to use very power-hungry devices such as hair dryers) or it would have been hell.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4

said by TheMG:

We both had power-hungry gaming computers, dual monitors,
Good thing we didn't have women

I think there's a cause-and-effect here.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Bob4:

said by TheMG:

We both had power-hungry gaming computers, dual monitors,
Good thing we didn't have women

I think there's a cause-and-effect here.

I hear that...

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

1 recommendation

whizkid3 to chamberc

MVM

to chamberc
said by chamberc:

Avoid GFCI, as they're more trouble than they're worth...

If one could talk with the dead, I'm sure there are thousands of Americans that would disagree.